Converting CA M24 stock to VSR

Trasher

I've acquired a CA M24 and a JG BAR stock for my newest project: converting the M24 stock to VSR.

My initial plan is to hack up the BAR stock and transplant the magwell/mag catch area into the CA stock, then plug and relocate the screw holes, modify trigger guard, etc....

First impressions, findings:

- The CA M24 stock is extremely solid and very high quality compared to the VSR (and a Rolls Royce compared to my POS Fortress M40A3 stock, see my review). OK, there is considerable play in the adjustable length of pull mech, but that's easy to fix.

- After the removal of the CA trigger guard unit, the VSR receiver drops right in, with almost perfect fit! The screw hole at the end of receiver is in 100% alignment with the stock!

- Ejection port is in OK alignment with receiver.

- Middle screw hole must be relocated.

- The magazine well area must be enlarged, completely modified.

- The inner curve of the forearm must be modified to accomodate PDI VSR light bull barrel.

Feel free to post your tips and ideas...

Some pics:

vsr-m24a.jpg

vsr-m24b.jpg

vsr-m24c.jpg

vsr-m24d.jpg

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You wouldn't happen to have a tapered VSR barrel? Just to check how it would fit in the stock?

Good news about the receiver fitting so well, on my SP M40 stock, fitting the receiver and getting it to line up properly was a nightmare.

This is hilarious. I was going to do this too. What do you think would work better a tanaka m24 stock or the ca m24 stock?

Thanks,

Gordon

So was I, well I still do plan on it.

I have a CA stock. I would think the CA would be better as the mag well is already almost in the right spot.

I think the CA stock is better, it's more closer in construction to VSR.

Width of magazine well is nearly the same.

You can easily remove the magwell insert to have more space.

Kristoffer, I checked the tapered barrel, the fit is better.

Receiver fixed to stock:

vsr-m24e.jpg

Reference pics for magazine width:

vsr-m24mag.jpg

vsr-m24mag2.jpg

Yeah it does. Especially compared to how I made an m40a3 stock out of the stock stock. Just all bondo.

I really want to try this. And is that the mag of the ca m24 that you put around the vsr mag? Does this stock make the barrel look short also. If so I'll be extremely happy. lol

Thanks,

Gordon

Trigger guard under reconstruction. :)

To my suprise it's hard aluminium...

m24-vsr-tg1.jpg

Trigger guard finished and painted, plus relocated receiver hole.

m24-vsr-tg2.jpg

Bottom view... Fake magazine door will be disabled (glued), fake magazine latch will act as a stop for the spring guide stopper.

m24-vsr-tg3.jpg

m24-vsr-tg4.jpg

Curious. I've a rather large scope on my rifle (bear with me, it's relevant) on low scope mounts. When I take the VSR apart, I can wobble the barrel, to the point that the barrel will touch the scope. It also wobbles the other way, a good 5mm at least. I'd imagine not having the barrel lined up correctly, would cause some adverse issues. The nozzle pushing into the hop chamber at a funny angle could be problematic. How to you plan to insure the barrel is kept strait, how it should be, in relation to the receiver.

Also, just in front of the mag well, the metal part is normally screwed to plastic. You've no plastic to attach it to. That part is normally where the barrel is kept strait, from what I can tell.

This is a very nice project. I hope it works for you, but I can't see it being easy.

Slim Shady,

I prefer the M24 over the regular VSR, the grip is more comfortable, less strain on the wrist. The shoulder stock has wide range of fine adjustability (comes handy depending on clothing, backpack, etc). The M40A3 beats both in the ergonomy department (with the vertical grip), but that's a different story... .

Another Jesus,

I put markings on outer barrel and receiver which shows the correct "rotational" alignment. Correct distance between scope tube and outer barrel is also measurable, thus vertical alignment can be set. Horizontal aligment will be fixed by another marker. A spirit level and having two other VSR stocks as reference will also help.

For the part in front of mag well a JG BAR stock will be cannibalized. I'll cut the proper part close to size then screw it to the hopup chamber extension. After the outer barrel is aligned, I'll glue the plastic in place, then reinforce it with epoxy and small patches of glass cloth. The slightly oversized mag well around the magazine will be fixed the same way.

That is the plan so far.

One nice feature of the VSR mag, is that the magwell doesn't really have to be a tight fit.

If you take the barrel, with the zinc-block that the mag-catch is attached to, and fix the mag-catch to the block, the mag will actually click nicely in place and stay there. It certainly doesn't hurt to make a nice fitting mag-well, but it really isn't a must.

An alternative to fixing the barrel with the block, would be to make a ring that fits inside the barrel, and drill, tap and screw it and the barrel directly to the stock. Or a solution like the Tanaka rifles use, with a metal part bolted to the outside of the barrel, and then bolting it to the stock.

The CA M24 stock is so stiff, and the VSR barrel-to-receiver connection is so wobbly, I think that bolting the barrel (and receiver) firmly to the stock might be a good idea.

I loved the feel of my M24, but it was so maintenance heavy when heavily upgrade I regrettably sold it. I had thought before of putting my VSR into its stock but always that it would be to much work. After seeing this I may have to hunt down another M24, i find its looks to be beautiful, doesn't hurt that the M24 is my favorite rifle of all time to =p

I bought this stock off from an "upgraded beyond repair" M24. :)

Putting a lug on the barrel is a good idea... Or maybe a barrel sleeve screwed to the receiver. I'd really like to have a completely solid upper. That barrel-to-receiver fit is the worst design feature of the VSR, but it's also a shame that companies like Laylax or PDI didn't come out with a fix.

As for the loose fitting magwell... Well, the Fortress is loose like hell, you have to fiddle around to click the mag in place, and curse heavily when you try to remove it. The guys at Fortress have a wonderful sense to f*ck simple things up. :)

I have done a mag-pul'ish mod to most of my VSR mags. Drill a hole, tie parachord in a loop. Works very well in the Fortress stock.

M24 stocks are available from ASG, and i'm sure Spartan imports can get them as well. They are rather cheap actually, ~500 NOK in norwegian stores, thats about 50£ or 70-80$. I think it is a very acceptable price for the stock, even if it needs some work.

Archived