The flexing problem seems to have been a problem of the STAR LSW too from the beginning. Otherwise, my experience with my rifle length one is pretty similar. I'd like to add that the wires are also awfully thin. The whole disassembly is so awful, that I wouldn't even consider doing it yet and sent the whole thing to be upgraded on behalf of me.

I have to disagree on the motor though, no motor can be as awful as CA motors. At least this isn't super whiny even if you shim the gun right. It has quite a lot of torgue.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah the Star one...oh boy.

It was greased up like a Chinese AEG, barrel was coated.

Cleaned that off.

Went to shoot it, was all over the place.

Then shot it on prone and woah it shot out of my sight picture, up off the target.

The metal bipod mount is connected to the composite foregrip, it was just flexing like no tomorrow.

I took the whole assembly off and shot it as a long barrelled carbine/sniper rifle, and yay it was great.

But the power was weak and the motor was a cheapass chinese motor found in my AM M4. wasn't worth the 2 cent. Yeah it starts slow, then winds up, then stabilises. Its like the old CA motors. Total arsewipe.

It is Chinese. I found XTY gears in my 2 years old Star L85A2. Manufacturing must have started in China some time ago.

The lithium grease was modest and tidy though.

Changed to a systema hopup bucking, systema inner barrel, systema ported piston head and a metal nozzle. Grouping still pretty lousy.

Prices plummeted. I bought another Star L85A2 and a UGL. That's a wall hangers at the moment. I bought also a ARES L22. It's like a watering can, with a new rose.

Edited by Erik Cartman
The flexing problem seems to have been a problem of the STAR LSW too from the beginning. Otherwise, my experience with my rifle length one is pretty similar. I'd like to add that the wires are also awfully thin. The whole disassembly is so awful, that I wouldn't even consider doing it yet and sent the whole thing to be upgraded on behalf of me.

I have to disagree on the motor though, no motor can be as awful as CA motors. At least this isn't super whiny even if you shim the gun right. It has quite a lot of torgue.

So the LSW was not fit-for-purpose from the beginning?

I find the metal of the barrels on my 2x Star L85A2 and 1x ARES L22 quite substantial. By the sound of it, the LSW is a real disappointment.

Again, as the price has plummeted so much, I'm thinking about getting one as well, I've 2nd thoughts now.

I have no problem with the motor, other than the fact that they are soldered I added spade connectors to facilitate easy opening of the gear box.

I cannot confirm the LSW, but I remember someone nagging about it when they came out in 2006 here and I doubt they would have worsened them on purpose.

Dunno about the accuracy, your gun might be leaking somewhere. Mine is undoubtly the most accurate and furthest shooting AEG I have ever owned, and I have had two M14's, the other at 300fps and the other at 400fps. This thing shoots with 0,5m/s shot variance, every damn time! That's pretty good considering my primary CQB Armalite for instance shoots in the range of 95-102m/s...

I cannot confirm the LSW, but I remember someone nagging about it when they came out in 2006 here and I doubt they would have worsened them on purpose.

Dunno about the accuracy, your gun might be leaking somewhere. Mine is undoubtly the most accurate and furthest shooting AEG I have ever owned, and I have had two M14's, the other at 300fps and the other at 400fps. This thing shoots with 0,5m/s shot variance, every damn time! That's pretty good considering my primary CQB Armalite for instance shoots in the range of 95-102m/s...

There is clearly a leak. However, I've steel nozzle with o-ring, new bucking, systema inner barrel. The piston and cylinder has a firm compression. With the T-junction integrated with the gear box, I can't see where the leak could happen.

• 2 weeks later...

Good God disassembling and assembling this gun is a downright nightmare. Not complex in itself, but there's just so many things to go wrong. Kinda makes me regret not getting the ICS.

By the way, my ARES barrel was crooked from the factory. Put another in and it shoots dead accurate now.

• 2 weeks later...

I'll have to rethink my opinion about this gun. There was a moment that I was pretty sad for getting it, but now the mood's turning.

After learning which screws to tighten and loctite, this thing is an absolute rock! I accidentally dropped it off a buildings second floor a while ago and was expecting some severe damage from the landing with rocks (stupid, I know). A scratch and off it went again, with nothing broken. :)

After I swapped the barrel, it's an absolutely nice performer too. I like the steady rof the ARES motor gives, much better for suppressing during long periods of time. The internals seem to be very much up to the task too, the piston had zero wear marks after ~3000 shots at 380fps.

Edit: Gotta give a nod too, you Brits just know how a gun should shoulder. :P

Edited by Abelius
I am thinking about purchasing one of these rifles, and the comments seem to be fairly positive. Does anyone know who has them in stock? I live in the big NC also, and look forward to some fall gaming.

Without naming names, most of the usual suspects have stock. (I just looked) The prices are half of what they used to be a year or 18 months ago.

Edited by Erik Cartman
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

It's been a long time since I first bought my L86 and I decided to do a review for the long term:

1. I had to replace the inner barrel, it started to rust. Tightbore barrel now, performance is better than ever!

2. New bucking not really required but it was helpful.

3. My motor gave out this week, or at least I think it was the motor. I shall wait and see!!!

I was just wondering. I am thinking about getting on e of these, or the ICS version of the gun. But I wanted to know what kind of drum mag would work best with this thing. The single drum version or the Beta-C Drum Mags? I already have a few of the 1000rnd Double Mag things, but I want something with a bit more capacity behind it.

I'd appreciate it if you could help me out.

Drum/box mags are extremely uncomfortable to use in the L86.

I suppose if you really wanted to a box mag would be the best as opposed to a drum mag.

Maybe???

but I just use hicaps

don't thing that would work since it would either block the mag release, or the mag release would block it, that said it could work im merely speculating

Edited by Warning

Anyone noticed that the trigger on the Ares L86LSW has something like a 2 stage pull. On semi or spring release its a straight pull to fire, but on full auto, when you pull the trigger its as if it stops against a catch then a little more pull and the trigger moves all the way?

I've found the ARES steel version with metal gear box very nice. Good weight. As said here earlier, check the screws haven't got loosened in transit and all is fine. Putting magazines in requires a little more "positive action" than many cheap softs, which is nice as the magazines are nice and secure.

The only negative so far is the front grip removal and re-assembly to replace the battery. Its *very* easy to cross thread the forward sling mount as its softish alloy with a steel screw. I get the feeling that mine will get a helicoil thread insert at some point in the non too distant future for strength.

Well its now been christened on its first outing. Its only 300fps, but has a really nice effective range, certainly up with some of the 320-330 fps guns I was up against.

The gun performed well apart from one very big problem at first (which I have yet to properly resolve). After a few shots the AEG, on full auto, started to stink then the RPM became random. The smell was of burning solder. As it got really bad I dropped out the mag and had a look inside. The lead wire to the gearbox is the positive and has no insulation on the solder point. The result is that under use if the mag catches the wire it earths heats the solder up and stinks to high heaven. The battery drain causes a lowering of RPM, hence less vibration, so the RPM climbs again.

As a quick fix i put a line of insulating tape up the mag well and it stopped misbehaving immediately (of course its a temporary fix at best)

I thought I would check and see if this is a one off or any one else noticed this.