WE Gas Blow Back M4A1 Carbine

• Replies 7.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Heres my latest custom job, a WE GBBR version of a Colt Slab Sides Carbine. If anyone knows a pla ce that could machine me a proper outer barrel, I would like to get in contact with them and have a pr

Heres my custom WE M733. I have a modified RS Bushmaster upper receiver as well as RS buffer tube, castle nut, stock, stock plate, pistol grip, front grips, front sight, and some various other small b

Hehehe, Im with you Hwagan. I dumped my LM4 like a bad habit a few months ago and switched back to the WE platform. Used the extra money to get myself a trademarked M16, slapped a RS A2 upper receiver

Posted Images

Carried out a bit of an experiment this morning, making up numerous combinations using the following parts:

2 x WE receivers (one old stock, one new)

3 x barrels  (one standard WE, one Dytac, one Viper Tech with Tonic Airsoft WA to WE converter)

3 x Free-floating RIS systems (Dytac, G&P & Madbull)

Every single combination ended up with the same issue - the barrel appeared to be bending off to one side. There are two possibilities here. Either the thread on the nose of the receivers isn't square, so the RIS units are off at an angle, or the front of the receiver itself isn't entirely square, so when the barrel nut is tightened up the barrel is basically forced out of alignment. I'm hoping it's the later of the two, as I can do something about it (mount the receiver on a mandrel and true the face of it on the lathe)

Have a look at the lower two pics to see what I mean about truing the face of the upper receiver - http://ultimatereloader.com/2011/06/14/r-mpr-accurizing-the-upper-receiver-%E2%80%93-part-ii-milling-and-receiver-face-truing/

Edited by QQexDERA

I removed the entire ejection port cover assembly and rod before carrying out my little tests, so it was one less variable that could affect the outcome - so as it wasn't there, it couldnt be the cause of the problem. Remember, that the receiver only has to be a fraction of a millimetre out at the face to make a noticeable difference at the end of the barrel.

Edited by QQexDERA

Hey guys, I've recently picked one of these up. One thing for sure is that I need a NPAS as it's currently running at 430 FPS! I was wondering where the best place in the UK for spares is? The gun is second hand and could really do with a new bolt catch, possible even a new lower receiver.

EDIT: forget that, I'm just useless at Google obviously! I just found a place!

Edited by Wild_XIII

I removed the entire ejection port cover assembly and rod before carrying out my little tests, so it was one less variable that could affect the outcome - so as it wasn't there, it couldnt be the cause of the problem. Remember, that the receiver only has to be a fraction of a millimetre out at the face to make a noticeable difference at the end of the barrel.

This is amazing! I don't have the ability to do this, sadly- and the fact my upper and rail are a one piece VIS setup doesn't help.

I'm really impressed with my WE M16A3 so far and im looking forward putting a G&P M5 RAS on it to make a M16A4 MWS like replica.

The problem is i'm used to rather short assoult rifles like the AUG with a 2 point sling and i really want to get a tactical/practical useable sling for my M16. 

At first i was looking at original usmc 3 point slings but i couldn't find them in OD and then i came across the Mamba's from Specter.

They seem to be a decent alternative but i have troubles finding retailers in europe.

Are there any suggestions for a decent quality 3 point sling?

I't looks like the "wrap around the RAS" versions are a good choice when it comes to stealth because you don't have metal on metal making noise or am i wrong..?

Wich one do you prefer? Is the "bungee part" a nice addon and has it any negative effects on aiming in motion?

Thank you for your patience ;)

Edited by Piston Head

3 point slings are the work of the devil, they get hung up on the gun and your gear. You're far better off with a 2 point sling from the likes of Blue Force Gear (Vickers sling), VTAC (Viking Tactics) or EMDOM USA.

@Preacherman - had a bit of an idea, but will have to trial it first. I'm thinking along the lines of http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/rifle-tools/receiver-tools/ar-15-m16-upper-receiver-lapping-tool-prod20220.aspx - but with one hell of an extension on it!

• Like 1

My god, that's clever! How do you think that could be extended?

EDIT- http://www.amazon.com/Bosch-Daredevil-DSBE1012-12-Inch-Extension/dp/B002BYOWKM

Ha! 12 inch extender, would clear my 10in VIS with room to spare. I have a DeWalt 9V drill somewhere downstairs. Thanks mate. :)
This fixes my only real problem with my WE M4. Local automotive shop carries lapping compound, just means two more orders.

Anyhow- seconded on the 2 point sling thing. I run a Magpul MS2 with zero issues, my mate's ran one on a battle rifle for a while.

Edited by PreacherMan

Hey guys, I have a question about the bolt catch. Is there anyway to make it more reliable? I know that I need to get a new one as the current one has worn away far too much to catch, but is there a way to either reduce the wear or stop it? I'm still looking into getting one of these but I'm just looking into ways to keep the parts going longer.

Some local folks mentioned washers in the buffer tube to restrict the stroke of the bolt.

So stock it recoils a few mm past the catch and then flies forward till caught; less travel means it has less momentum when it reaches the catch so less chance of overriding it.

You don't need much.