Balastic Plates

RC-1138

Armor Plates  

94 members have voted

1. 1. What kind, or none at all, of plate do you wear during an airsoft match (on average)?

• Real Balastic Hard Plate
    • Replica Foam/Plastic Plate
    • No Plate

Plastic plates sucks when empty, I just wish I could fill them with something, and make them heavier, just to get the feel of real plates.

See my above post about the sand... ;)

and to Pinky (I'm on my best behavior here as my first response was funny, but not appropriate ;) ) - gottcha about the weight

they do tend to get heavy after a full day...

let us know if you try the foam...

Well it's not so much seeing plates in the US that confused me (I had a set before I joined the Army too) it's seeing US ARMY ISSUE ones on players who ARNT in the Army that confuses me... since uh.... well losing/stealing a plate's like losing an ASIP.....

Ebay. Private purchase. "Fell of a truck". Etc.

They usually go for about $200. Brand new ones are obviously much more.

I got mine from someone on the board. They're fairly old, I wouldn't expect them to have much protection anymore. I carry them mostly for the weight, stiffness, and concept. I feel like a Star Wars stormtrooper with the plastic ones.

Thanks! How heavy is that? Is it close to the real plates?

I might try that, but I'll have to fix one of the plates, it cracked along the seam of one of the sides :D

So, when you fill them, you'd have to make the hole bigger so funnel the sand in, then seal it. That would be the easiest and quickest way to do it, right?

Got a replica one from EBB that goes in my RRV

Also, this has been bugging me, so without further ado...

BOREDOM. B O R E D O M

BALLISTIC

AAARRRGGGHHH

*cough*

Uh, what's an ASIP?

Hehe it was a 12 hour guard shift.... I was tired ;)

An ASIP is a low range US Army issue radio and it's a big deal to lose cause it has all the military communication codes plugged in. If one is lost it's just as bad as losing a rifle or NOD, they have to shut down/lock down a base until it is found.

And their definitely not "throwing away" SAPI plates, it's still listed as a high value item on AKO.

Anywho though, interesting to see that it's mainly replicas. I figured it was going to be either real plates or nothing at all.

Why PAY for real plates or armor at all if it is just for airsoft? If you're also into real firearms and go to ranges and wear armor for that and decide to wear it for airsoft then cool but only for airsoft??? that is pretty stupid.

Why PAY for real plates or armor at all if it is just for airsoft? If you're also into real firearms and go to ranges and wear armor for that and decide to wear it for airsoft then cool but only for airsoft??? that is pretty stupid.

What's stupid is assuming others priorities must coincide with your own to be valid. Airsoft is a hobby with many aspects involved. Myself, I use real steel ESAPI's in my kit.. does that make me stupid? No, I just play differently than you so what does it matter?

I wouldn't recommend using real SAPI or ESAPI plates for airsoft recreation. What you can end up with is an unintended microfracture that isn't even visible upon normal inspection from a hard strikes to the plate during game play. There are special training plates with real weight and of course the light weight plastic ones available. I'd keep the real deal plates for when SHTF in real life. Too each their own though. Just wouldn't be banging around plates and expecting them to save me from a negligently discharged round at the range.

What's stupid is assuming others priorities must coincide with your own to be valid. Airsoft is a hobby with many aspects involved. Myself, I use real steel ESAPI's in my kit.. does that make me stupid? No, I just play differently than you so what does it matter?

Seconded. I'm sick of people bashing those who choose to get real gear.

I wouldn't recommend using real SAPI or ESAPI plates for airsoft recreation. What you can end up with is an unintended microfracture that isn't even visible upon normal inspection from a hard strikes to the plate during game play. There are special training plates with real weight and of course the light weight plastic ones available. I'd keep the real deal plates for when SHTF in real life. Too each their own though. Just wouldn't be banging around plates and expecting them to save me from a negligently discharged round at the range.

My plates are second hand through a private purchase. I wouldn't expect them to function 100% to begin with.

Then again, if you're worried about getting a microfracture during airsoft, what about the real thing?

Also, if I was afraid of getting shot at a range, I wouldn't go.

Actually I disagree, those plates are horrible for your back. Why mess up your back for a hobby? Cool, you can afford them but not cool to potential ruin your back. If you think you have some excuse as to them being worth that then please chime in. I have been going through over a year of doctor appointments, physical therapy, and a lot of pain just from wearing sapi/esapi plates. If you wear them long enough, you can crush the disc in your spine. Why do you think most of the claims the VA has is for back pains? Unless you are getting some paid benefits for when your airsoft career is over with I would highly rethink wearing them.

To the comment about microfracture with the plates. It's usually pretty easy to tell if you break or crack a plate. Another reason why you aren't supposed to throw your gear down when you are loaded with plates, they can crack. I've seen many plates that took multiple rounds and still save the persons life. I've even been issued plates that have the edges cracked, or coming apart. They aren't as weak as you might think.

Actually I disagree, those plates are horrible for your back. Why mess up your back for a hobby? Cool, you can afford them but not cool to potential ruin your back. If you think you have some excuse as to them being worth that then please chime in. I have been going through over a year of doctor appointments, physical therapy, and a lot of pain just from wearing sapi/esapi plates. If you wear them long enough, you can crush the disc in your spine. Why do you think most of the claims the VA has is for back pains? Unless you are getting some paid benefits for when your airsoft career is over with I would highly rethink wearing them.

Truth be told, I don't wear mine all day. I usually unsaddle after each scenario (1 - 2 hours) for a short break. The times I wear them for an all-day Op are few and far between.

I've worn heavier gear, less comfortably, longer.

I'm going to guess that 90% of airsofters who do wear real SAPIs don't wear them for hours upon hours, day after day, unlike the desert.

I could also claim any back pain on disability when I get out, too :)

foam and cardboard plate.. mostly because I didn't have anything else available and it's a pain to get to the 6B2 pockets (the way mine has been demilled is that you have to get into the vest from the top). The plates give a feeling that there is something in the vest but don't weigh anything sadly.

Making fake plates for a 6B3/6B4 or 6B5 should be a lot easier than for the 6B2.

I have been thinking of getting some 1mm aluminium or steel and making new ones but so far I haven't had the time :)

Truth be told, I don't wear mine all day. I usually unsaddle after each scenario (1 - 2 hours) for a short break. The times I wear them for an all-day Op are few and far between.

Exactly. I'm not out there gravel agitating every day, so what harm is there humpin it once every other weekend if even that often.. With that said, I will agree plates weigh a metric f**kton and after an all day Op sometimes I want nothing more than to just collapse in the staging area.

Finally got around to using a scale and this is what I found out:

2nd Line Rig (with plates) - 23.5 lbs

+Helmet - 4.25 lbs

+Rifle - 8 lbs

+Rifle Mags - 6.5 lbs

+Pistol - 1.75 lbs

+Pistol Mags - 1.75 lbs

= Roughly 46 lbs of gear and weapons. Damn, no wonder I love using a chestrig!

and to Pinky (I'm on my best behavior here as my first response was funny, but not appropriate ;) ) - gottcha about the weight

they do tend to get heavy after a full day...

let us know if you try the foam...

not appropriate? who cares! its funny, thats what counts! xD

will do, if i try the foam :)

I use foam plates in my MBSS made from 1cm thick foam, cardboard plates in my weesatch and Toy Soldier plastic plates in my FSBE when I can be bothered to put them in.

I hardly use the Toy Soldier because I find them really uncomfortable as mine curve and dig in on the bottom corners.

I am tempted to fill them with sand tho just to see how much my kit would weigh with real plates. I'm just too tight to go out and buy a bag of sand.

I hardly use the Toy Soldier because I find them really uncomfortable as mine curve and dig in on the bottom corners.

you sure u're just not too skinny? :P They fit me quite well considering they were never made for humans with boobs. Oh wait, loads of airsofters have moobs and they fit as well...

you sure u're just not too skinny? :P They fit me quite well considering they were never made for humans with boobs. Oh wait, loads of airsofters have moobs and they fit as well...

Could be. I think I lack the natural padding most people have.

They wouldn't be too bad if they were a little taller but if they were taller they'd also be wider and then I'd complain about them being too wide.

Archived