Tactical Gloves

wazzy1013

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As a recent convert to Hatch gloves, I like the look of those SOGs and those Camelback Vents. Nice, will check them out- thanks!

Shriven- I wear surgical gloves- nitrile- every day for work and I can assure you that when it is cold, and we have no heating in my mortuaries, they make me even colder because your hands sweat and they get wet inside and that get's cold. Same when I wear them outdoors for car work. Silk liner glove would be better if you can find one, but if the gloves are too tight it will restrict blood flow and make fingers colder.

I love the old fashioned flight gloves. But that doesn't stop me from looking for new things.

I bought a pair of Mechanix gloves, the old Heavy Duty gloves (they no longer sell them), the ones that the PMCs used in MGS4. They didn't last for snot. The first pair started to break down the first weekend I owned them, during which time I used them entirely for breaking down cardboard boxes. Happily, Mechanix sent me a new pair and I sent the old ones back. The new pair lasted longer, but not by much. They worked well for airsofting, but a couple of weeks of working freight at the local Wal-Mart did them in, real fast-like. I might try another pair of Mechanix, sometime, but I'm still leery over the last time I bought them.

I have a pair of Hatch operators, they've worked well and seem to be a good combination of strength and tactile-ness(?). The only problem I've really had with them is that they are not very comfortable to wear for long periods of time. Even just an afternoon wearing them pushes things a bit too much. I also owned a pair of Hatch operator shorties, a size too large for use with glove liners in cold weather. Didn't work out that well, but I still have them.

Outdoor Research gloves seem rather well made, but they are expensive. And maybe I just haven't properly broken mine (a pair of Overlords) in, yet, but they are not particularly comfortable and they feel very, very stiff. I actually had to return the first pair of these, too. The seams on one of the gloves was off, causing chaffing on one of my fingers. The second pair has been trouble free, though. I don't wear them nearly enough to be able to tell whether or not they are long-lasting or not. Happily, though, they are covered by a lifetime warranty.

Hatch flight gloves have been hit or miss for me. As have flight gloves in general. I have a pair in black that I have had forever. Love the things, they fit me perfectly. I also have a pair in CB that are too tight and a pair in Sage that seem to be designed for people with really weird finger proportions.

My favorite fair weather shooting gloves, though, thus far, are the Sitka shooting gloves. They, like OR, come with a lifetime warranty. They are comfortable, breathable, tactile, and hard-wearing. My only complaint about them is that the mesh on the back likes to pill, badly. And once it does that, they start to fall apart. Not really a problem if you aren't loading auto or pump shotguns or never go through cockle burr patches, but still mildly annoying. I like these gloves so much, in fact, that I have two pairs. One in green (from last year) and one in brown (this year), the former for general shooting, airsofting, &c., the latter specifically for sporting shotgun use. Link.

As far as cold-weather gloves, I've got a few. None of which I'm really happy with.

The old stand-bys are, of course, my rag wool glomitts. Had these things forever, and they work really, really well at keeping my hands warm. The problem, of course, is that they offer zero warmth or protection for the fingers with the mitt flipped back. My pair uses velcro, which is a huge pain, while newer versions use magnets to keep the mitts locked back.

I'm currently using a pair of Mountain Hardware Gravity Gloves with Gore Wind-Stopper. They work well enough at keeping the wind from biting my hands but... they aren't very warm on their own. And, unfortunately, they are too thick to layer with the glomitts. They make a decent 'mildly cold' glove, but so does anything that slips over the hands. Overall, not very pleased.

As I mentioned previously, I have a pair of Hatch Operator shorties that I got one-size too large for use with wool USGI glove liners... which didn't work out very well, as they didn't do a good job of keeping my hands warm. I've pretty much given up on the idea of using gloves with separate glove liners, as they just haven't worked out that well for me.

The search for the perfect glove continues.... Looking at trying out another pair of Mechanix, Oakleys, CamelBak Cold Weathers, and Vickers Gloves (duty or the standard, I'm unsure).

As a recent convert to Hatch gloves, I like the look of those SOGs and those Camelback Vents. Nice, will check them out- thanks!

Don't mention it ;)

CMK Vent are really really thin, and that is the best thing about them. With them on, you can basically do what ever you do with your hands and it is a problem to do with other gloves. They are great for summer times and hot weathers.

In arrival: Hatch SOG F-15 and Hatch SOG F-20 gloves - Neoprene, kevlar, etc. They have it all. :D

Fantastic gloves, I found no problem with them what so ever! A friend in SWAT gave them to me and he had used them for a while, the finger tips were badly burnt from his suppressor and the stitching had torn up in places, they looked well used. Anyway, I used them for one year and about eight months. After that the middle finger on one glove developed a hole, and so did the thumb on the other glove.

If it wasn't for the price tag and that I already have a pair of other gloves, I'd buy these, no doubt!

Right now I'm using a pair of Handyman CLC-125, they're not tactical or anything but amazing gloves, durable, breathable, just all around good gloves. The only drawback is that they're grey and black with some yellow, I haven't had anyone tell me that they saw that in the field but here it's tans that dominate so it is some difference.

I love Handyman and Hatch gloves :D

Archived