My new L96

Silent_Assassin

Here's another thing: I wanna use a MOLLE belt kit for all the stuff I need when I'm sniping. But what mag pouches do you guys use for the mags? Or you just use GP pouches?

40mm grenade pouches work really well with L96 mags.

Josh

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The HP hop-up is hugely flawed IMO.

It still makes use of the dreadful "horseshoe" adjuster thingamajig which is actually responsible for the poor performance of these hop-ups.

The notch filed into the hop-arm is not precision machined and can be cock-eyed, thus screwing up your hop-up even more.

It won't fit a Prometheus barrel cos they're a fraction too wide.

You can achieve the same result as with the HP hop-up by simply modifying the hop-arm on the original hop housing.

I fitted like 6-7 HP units and all accepted geniue, steel Prommy barrels without problem.

The hop arm on the HP unit is in fact a weak point, no argument there. However it is not that severe. A little bit of sanding would fix this problem if it was that cock eyed.

The strong points of the HP unit is the 3 screw barrel lock and the 2 extra O ring and the hop arm. The 2 screws fix the inner barrel very well. No rotation or movement. The original hopup unit can't do that, after you break the tiny plastic ring or loose the small C clip. The 3rd screw locks the hopup rubber to make sure it doesn't more or rotate around. The 2 O rings ensures good seal. The metal hop arm will not break, unlike the original plastic arm.

+ There is no reasonable priced and available TB barrel for the original hopup unit. The PDI barrel is seriously overpriced and I found ordering Edgi barrels extremely frustrating. While I can machine an AEG barrel to be L96 compatible I guess not everyone can do that.

However I found it pointless anyway. As there is no good quality replacement hopup rubber for the L96 (like a Firefly or something) actually there is NO replacement at all (I know dentrintiy). That is my BIGGEST problem ever with the original hopup unit. I'm experimenting with a modded VSR rubber but it is too early to tell anything.

While the horseshue system is inferior to a sliding system, it is not hopeless. The M99 mod worked very well. There a stiff spring (actually, a piece of the original L96 spring) holds the very long screw in place. It pushes the screw upward pretty hard, straight into the hopup unit. So it is constantly at the same position. The hard tension on the screw makes sure it doesn't move up or down or rotate and dial off the hop at will.

There is only 1 aspect of the original barrel I miss. The extra pressure. The AEG hopup rubber can't generate the extra compression, the original rubber can. They are not desinged to do it. The AEG rubber sleeve is very weak and loose because the feeding spring in an aeg is quite weak. The VSR and the L96 rubber has that 5mm long tight part which seals the nozzle and acts like a sleeve. That has a nice firm grip on the BB. The gun has to builds up high pressure to move the BB past this sleeve. AEGs, and anything fitted with AEG hop rubbers, don't generate that kind initial high pressure.

I fitted like 6-7 HP units and all accepted geniue, steel Prommy barrels without problem.

The hop arm on the HP unit is in fact a weak point, no argument there. However it is not that severe. A little bit of sanding would fix this problem if it was that cock eyed.

The strong points of the HP unit is the 3 screw barrel lock and the 2 extra O ring and the hop arm. The 2 screws fix the inner barrel very well. No rotation or movement. The original hopup unit can't do that, after you break the tiny plastic ring or loose the small C clip. The 3rd screw locks the hopup rubber to make sure it doesn't more or rotate around. The 2 O rings ensures good seal. The metal hop arm will not break, unlike the original plastic arm.

+ There is no reasonable priced and available TB barrel for the original hopup unit. The PDI barrel is seriously overpriced and I found ordering Edgi barrels extremely frustrating. While I can machine an AEG barrel to be L96 compatible I guess not everyone can do that.

However I found it pointless anyway. As there is no good quality replacement hopup rubber for the L96 (like a Firefly or something) actually there is NO replacement at all (I know dentrintiy). That is my BIGGEST problem ever with the original hopup unit. I'm experimenting with a modded VSR rubber but it is too early to tell anything.

While the horseshue system is inferior to a sliding system, it is not hopeless. The M99 mod worked very well. There a stiff spring (actually, a piece of the original L96 spring) holds the very long screw in place. It pushes the screw upward pretty hard, straight into the hopup unit. So it is constantly at the same position. The hard tension on the screw makes sure it doesn't move up or down or rotate and dial off the hop at will.

There is only 1 aspect of the original barrel I miss. The extra pressure. The AEG hopup rubber can't generate the extra compression, the original rubber can. They are not desinged to do it. The AEG rubber sleeve is very weak and loose because the feeding spring in an aeg is quite weak. The VSR and the L96 rubber has that 5mm long tight part which seals the nozzle and acts like a sleeve. That has a nice firm grip on the BB. The gun has to builds up high pressure to move the BB past this sleeve. AEGs, and anything fitted with AEG hop rubbers, don't generate that kind initial high pressure.

Are we talking the Warrior L96 or L96 hops in general? I think Trasher got a Firefly hard to work with an H-Nub in his TM L96 setup....???

Archived