My new L96

Silent_Assassin

Mine has arrived aswell, since it's a new one: is there anything I should do with it? Like clean the excessive grease etc? Also, I can't seem to add my bipod to my QD stud, the stud is of plastic and i'm afraid of breaking it :huh:

Yer the grease is a bit of a problem. I stripped mine down and gave it a good wipe to get rid of all the ###### and then a coat of silicon spray to lube it up again.

Oh and here's my pics again, my Photobucket account is playing up <_<

Photo592.jpg

Photo590.jpg

Photo591.jpg

Josh

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Josh, that looks wicked mate!

I'd be tempted to take the Khaki Krylon to that OD sniper tape, but each to his own...

Ben.

Cheers Ben. I'm all out of Khaki Krylon <_< hence me only using Med & Dark Brown. However I'm going to take a trip to B&Q tomorrow as I've got a hot tip that Plastikote have just released some sandy colours ;)

Josh

Managed to get hold of a second hand Warrior l96 with a new cylinder head, Maruzen bi-pod, barrel spacers, 5 maruzen mags and a tightbore for a cheap sum, im really looking forward to my first skirmish with it once i get my own scope (borrowing a mates at the mo).

Im not keen on the paint scheme so will re-spray the barrel black and tan sniper tape the main body and do some stippling effects on it, how did that plastikote turn out for you Silent_Assassin?

Pic of me rifle.

http://i583.photobucket.com/albums/ss279/M...al/untitled.jpg

Wow I'm loving the choc chip camo, a little sparse tho.

The Plastikote is really good. I sprayed my G36c with it the other week and the finish is great.

Photo580.jpg

Photo581.jpg

Photo589.jpg

I used Flat Black and Flat Grey which cost about £2.50 each from Wilko's.

Josh

Tried out my Well L96 for the first time on a skirm yesterday. I dissassembled(spelling?) everything, cleaned all the excessive grease and I'm really happy with it. I managed to shoot body-sized targets at 55-60m away with 0.28g bb's. If I would add the Hexagon HU unit, spacers ,a 509mm 6.03 Prometheus TB barrel and a decent bucking, would the increase in accuracy be significant enough?

Wow, that did turn out well! defo getting some.

What colours are you going for?

If I would add the Hexagon HU unit, spacers ,a 509mm 6.03 Prometheus TB barrel and a decent bucking, would the increase in accuracy be significant enough?

Well as you've said the accuracy of the stock gun is great out of the box. I took the TASC Scout Sniper course back in August and I used a Warrior L96 for the fist time. After cleaning out the barrel and bedding in the hop rubber I was getting head shots at 40m and man sized tagets at 80m+. So upgrading the barrel/hop will prob make it a lot more accurate and you'll be hitting targets 100m+ easily.

Josh

What colours are you going for?

Ill spray the barrel black, sniper tape the body and tan it, Ill then stipple darker brown patches on it, do some weathering on it, should hopefully end up looking like this: http://www.longwarjournal.org/threat-matri...tish-sniper.jpg

Well as you've said the accuracy of the stock gun is great out of the box. I took the TASC Scout Sniper course back in August and I used a Warrior L96 for the fist time. After cleaning out the barrel and bedding in the hop rubber I was getting head shots at 40m and man sized tagets at 80m+. So upgrading the barrel/hop will prob make it a lot more accurate and you'll be hitting targets 100m+ easily.

Josh

SO you'd def recommend upgrading it? :)

Wow I'm loving the choc chip camo, a little sparse tho.

The Plastikote is really good. I sprayed my G36c with it the other week and the finish is great.

I used Flat Black and Flat Grey which cost about £2.50 each from Wilko's.

Josh

all of my paints i use are either plastikote or simular and i get great results

i use a suede touch (got loads of it really cheap) and it give great texture to the finish.

Josh

apologies for off topic-ness, but how did you verify these ranges? guessed, or lasered/paced?

headshots at 40m mine would do in stock form, but it wouldnt go 80 metres as standard...

what ammo were you using?

please dont get the wrong idea, im not saying anyone is wrong, im just curious :)

No probs Shmook. We set up a shooting range with targets at 20m, 40m, 60m and 80m (measured using a good old tape measure ;)). I did find that only about 6/10 of my shots at 80m were hitting and that was using MadBull .40g

Oh and there was no wind whatsoever.

Josh

Mikhailthejackal - That L96 looks good, nice and weathered. Can't wait to see the final result.

Kunlun - Yep, I'm doing the exact same thing :P

Chownsy - What kinda texture does the suede touch paint give exactly?

Josh

erm hard to say, just a slightly rough surface not like sharp, just fine sand paper texture. (nice and dull and does not shine when caught in the light)

I bought it because it was 3 cans for £1 at my local hard ware store so i bought like 15 cans of it all :D 1 can will do at least 2 or 3 paint jobs

Also onto the L96

i have mine firing at 500ish fps (maruzen not the clone) and im getting terrible accuracy (think my hops dead)

Couple of random points...

The chinese L96 trigger housing is a weak point and WILL break at some point no matter how careful you are with it.

The mag catch is a little fragile.

You will often read people saying that the fit of the mags can be adjusted by removing the action from the stock and then tightening the barrel by a turn or two.

This will have the effect of moving the mag-catch and hop-up a couple of mm (it's a 1mm pitch thread so 1mm per turn) backwards.

This is only half the story though. :waggle:

The mag-catch is actually a pretty clever design. When it's hanging off the bottom of the gun it is pretty weak, only held in place by a single tiny screw. However, when the action is fitted into the gun the mag-catch is supposed to brace against the front of the magwell in the stock.

By all means try adjusting the barrel by a turn or two (a little loose is always better than a little tight or you won't be able to eject mags) but you should apply tape (or a strip of double-sided tape stuck to an aluminium strip etc) to pack the front side of the mag catch so it can brace against the inside of the magwell.

If you fail to do this you'll either strip the thread of the tiny screw that secures the mag catch or you'll snap the mag catch.

The HP hop-up is hugely flawed IMO.

It still makes use of the dreadful "horseshoe" adjuster thingamajig which is actually responsible for the poor performance of these hop-ups.

The notch filed into the hop-arm is not precision machined and can be cock-eyed, thus screwing up your hop-up even more.

It won't fit a Prometheus barrel cos they're a fraction too wide.

You can achieve the same result as with the HP hop-up by simply modifying the hop-arm on the original hop housing.

If you are using a hop-up designed to use an AEG-style bucking I'd suggest you avoid the fashionable "H" buckings and use a conventional one instead.

If the hop-up isn't perfect a H-bucking will magnify any imperfections whereas a conventional one will not be quite so unforgiving.

erm hard to say, just a slightly rough surface not like sharp, just fine sand paper texture. (nice and dull and does not shine when caught in the light)

Perfect. I don't know if you've seen my thread in the projects section but I'm building an M14 and the JAE stock is shiny black plastic and I was hoping to find a paint that would do exactly what you've said the suede touch paint does.

As for the L96, does it still have the original hop unit?

Josh

Edit: Thanks for the tips Stealth I'll keep them in mind.

Perfect. I don't know if you've seen my thread in the projects section but I'm building an M14 and the JAE stock is shiny black plastic and I was hoping to find a paint that would do exactly what you've said the suede touch paint does.

As for the L96, does it still have the original hop unit?

Josh

Edit: Thanks for the tips Stealth I'll keep them in mind.

yea Origional unit :( but i'm waiting for a new hop unit i know a company is hoping to put in to manufacture soon along with there new trigger unit.

cheers silent!

as i said, just curious. and jealous that you have access to an 80 metre rangewith no wind...!

as for the suede thing, im considering building an M14 platform myself (when funds allow) and respraying the stock with some sort of stone-effect/textured paint around contact points (rest of stock masked off, obviously!), and then going over it with the paint i want to finish it in.

not really looked into it though, these are just musings though...

cheers silent!

as i said, just curious. and jealous that you have access to an 80 metre rangewith no wind...!

as for the suede thing, im considering building an M14 platform myself (when funds allow) and respraying the stock with some sort of stone-effect/textured paint around contact points (rest of stock masked off, obviously!), and then going over it with the paint i want to finish it in.

yea, i was going to mask of areas but it makes such a good base coat that i just sprayed the whole rifle.

cheers silent!

Well it's a heavily wooded area which we cleared a 100m x 5m range to shoot down so we're quite fortunate that theres hardly any wind. On the flip side is a SOB to shoot in during a game because it is so dense <_<

Take a look at my thread in the general discussion section. I was looking for alternatives to Krylon and theres some links to really good paints in there.

yea, i was going to mask of areas but it makes such a good base coat that i just sprayed the whole rifle.

Have you got any pics by any chance? Maybe showing the texture if possiable.

Josh

Well it's a heavily wooded area which we cleared a 100m x 5m range to shoot down so we're quite fortunate that theres hardly any wind. On the flip side is a SOB to shoot in during a game because it is so dense <_<

Take a look at my thread in the general discussion section. I was looking for alternatives to Krylon and theres some links to really good paints in there.

Have you got any pics by any chance? Maybe showing the texture if possiable.

Josh

ermmmmm i will have a look, http://www.madmercsairsoft.co.uk/sniping/w...actions/co2-vsr thats the only pics i have currently availible.

ermmmmm i will have a look, http://www.madmercsairsoft.co.uk/sniping/w...actions/co2-vsr thats the only pics i have currently availible.

Cheers for that. I can see what you mean about the texture, look like I'll have to check it out.

Josh

Cheers for that. I can see what you mean about the texture, look like I'll have to check it out.

Josh

to get the texture on the silencer i covered it in a fabric tape (not sniper tape) and the paint stuck to the small fibre hairs and makes it look like that.

Archived