Can you shrink nylon fiber?

Mental Medic

I was wondering if any of you guys know if one can shrink nylon fiber?

You see, I have a really wobbly ACM crane stock that I want to remedy without the use of a spacer between the buffer tube and the stock. I was thinking that there may be some way to shrink the stock onto the buffer tube to reduce play.

If there isn't a way to shrink nylon fiber plastic, can the same be said for ABS?

just pad in the inside of the stock with gaffa tape or similar.

I'd rather not. The whole reason for me posting this in the Project section is because I'm willing to try to go through the work involved in making my gun look and feel nicer, which I believe shrinking the stock would achieve *to a degree*.

*edit*

another option is find a different stock tube.. certain stock tubes can be bigger than others so you may have to hunt around and find one that'll fit.. but (I'm not sure about there, but here) they're pretty cheap and easy to find..

Why would you want to even attempt it shrink it when you can just put some tape on the inside?

If you shrink it too far or, more likely melt it, you won't have a usable stock at all anymore.

The way I'd shrink the stock would be to have the stock on the buffer tube when it's submerged in boiling water to shrink it down to the perfect size. For God's sake, humor me.

another option is find a different stock tube.. certain stock tubes can be bigger than others so you may have to hunt around and find one that'll fit.. but (I'm not sure about there, but here) they're pretty cheap and easy to find..

I could buy a couple other buffer tubes to test fit, but that'd cost money. Money I don't really plan on investing in this mini-project. My goal is to see if I can shrink a plastic stock onto a buffer tube. Not to find the perfect combo of stock and buffer to minimize play.

As others have said before me, you won't "shrink" your stock by boiling it.

Thing about plastic (ABS, fiber reinforced nylon) is that it doesn't shrink but deforms.

So chances are you'll end up with a perfectly fitting lump of plastic on your buffer tube...

But by all means, if your willing to take the risk, try and show us the result.

If we're wrong, I'm sure we'll all take it like men :)

And you have your nicely cooked... I mean fitting stock ;)

If you absolutely want to heat the thing up, I'd suggest you use a blowdryer and blow into the stock.

You might be able to deform it in a way so you press it against the tube without ruining the rest of it.

But as said before, the risk of you just menting your stock are, well... very big.

Otherwise, and dare I mention it... You could just use electrical tape ;)

I could buy a couple other buffer tubes to test fit, but that'd cost money. Money I don't really plan on investing in this mini-project. My goal is to see if I can shrink a plastic stock onto a buffer tube. Not to find the perfect combo of stock and buffer to minimize play.

You're going to end up spending MORE money on a new stock when you melt the thing.

Trying to shrink the stock in anyway to close the gap between the buffer tube and stock by any means, chemical, voodoo, or etc. is really impractical. If you want an alternative to taping the tube, put a dab of epoxy, JB Weld, Bondo, or etc on the inside of the stock, where the tube slide inside of. File off the excess, and test fit until you get the desired tightness, so to speak. you shouldn't be able to see the fix unless you remove the stock and look down the hole.

Archived