Fallout:New Vegas

Shriven

Gametrailers.com, at the top, is the first bit of proper media from Fallout:New Vegas. It's not much, but it's something.

Interested to see who the hell the guy at the end is, and how the *fruitcage* they have power!

Probably the same way the capitol wasteland had power.

I'm guessing the guy at the end is someone from the New California Republic as that looks to be the flag that's behind him.

^

that is exactly what it looks like.

Been ready for this since F3GOTY! imho, i think fallout 3 is the best game on the next gen consoles. I think the real battle for me will be which gets put to one side, this or the last guardian (ico being my favourite game of the last generation). I suppose i could do the unthinkable and play both concurrently, but that has never worked successfully in the past.

excited.

Waiting for it almost as eagerly as I'm waiting for DA: Awakening. Just hope they don't screw it up, because year 2010 so far seems to be the year of half assed sequels.

Not counting Mass Effect 2 of course. Do count MW2 though, even if it's 2009.

What I want from Fallout New Vegas? More dialogue, more locations, more everything. :P

I reckon it will be hard to top 3 though, it wasnt perfect, but was damn close enough for me. I reckon it will be the little things that do it, and since its being produced by a different studio, i suspect there will be no shortage of little differences.

My understanding is that this game will use a different game play mechanic to Bethesda's Fallout 3, can anyone else confirm this? The cityscape shown in the trailer looks very different to Fallout 3's dystopian shanty towns, it will be interesting to see what direction Obsidian takes with this :D .

The cityscape I'm referring to:

800px-FNV_trailer_New_Vegas_1.png

AFAIK Bethesda claims they are going to be making multiple new Fallout games. Just refuse to give a time frame of when.

New Vegas should be fairly similar mechanics wise to Fallout 3, with changes such as:

* The gameplay system will be similar to the Fallout 3 gameplay, although some changes are likely to be made (e.g. Damage Threshold might make a return).

* VATS will return, with melee weapons having special moves, such as "Fore!" for golf clubs.

* The SPECIAL system will return, but now it directly influences speech options and quests.

* Karma is back, but now incorporated alongside a reputation system, similar to Fallout 2.

It also seems that Vegas didn't get hit directly by and bombs so most of it remained in tact. As for the power, I've read some fans mention Hoover Damn as a viable power source as it's been mentioned in the other games.

No matter what though, I'm eagerly waiting for this one to come out.

Good GOD I want this.

I'm a big fan of fallout 3, and More is always good... This is a good reason for me to start playing FO3 again, especially as I have all the DLC for it now, and a shiny new GPU to power it all with....

Fallout 3 was definately one of the classics of recent years so to see another released will be good, even better to see it from this studio to, will be interesting to see what they make of it. Still i get the feeling the game will be nowhere at entertaining as the reviews/replies/posts of the NMA crowd about this. I mean weren't half of them getting ready to worship this game just because the guys making it had some involvement in the older Fallouts?

my friend was telling me about an article about this is PC Gamer.

they seem to have gone to 2 extremes with the gameplay. there's normal which is much like fallout 3, only you have unlimited ammo (among other stupid difficulty killers) and hardcore which turns it into STALKER by adding dehydration, hunger, ammo weights and generally harsher gameplay.

now don't get me wrong, i love STALKER, but it's definitely not for everyone and i'm not sure i'd have liked fallout quite as much if it was a harsh, realistic, harrowing experience. and at the same time, the unlimited ammo etc just sounds stupid.

edit: wish they'd ditch the gamebryo engine as well :(

I think I will enjoy the hardcore mode. The one thing Fallout lacked in depth IMO was that food had pretty much no meaning. All that cool artwork and such existed for decoration, because the HP gains were so small. Now you actually have to find and eat them in order to survive. :)

The food thing I wouldn't mind, but the ammo weight bugs me. Sure it's realistic, but a lot of stuff in game weighs a lot. Yeah you get power armor, but those raiders are raping you because you can't shoot anything. Have fun.

Though I didn't like how the Mini Nukes weighed nothing, those things are pretty big to be weightless.

Archived