Ice cream.

greg

On the square, or one of the back streets?

its on the square, near all bar one

PP, given where you come from, do you like durian flavour..?

yuk

2, No but I think I will soon. Are you sure it's an ice cream place, it kind of sounds like you were confused. :D

ah, no, its closed now. it used to occupy the purple lounge thing.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like Ice Cream, but I'm not obsessed with it.

I like a nice straightforward Cornetto - Vanilla with chocolate, no fancy flavours, etc.

Best Ice Cream I've had though is in Italy - There was a shop in Venice that just had all the flavours laid out on a slab in the window and you picked what you want - Went past it 4 times one day and had something each time! :)

There are shops with a similar approach (and still remarkably good quality) in Rome airport, which is just as well because everything else there is as shambolic as you'd imagine it to be ... :(

Cheers.

I had a rather nice ice cream in Zadar, Croatia.

They had tonnes of flavours, I couldn't pick, and I couldn't read Croatian. So I tried ask this poor lass serving to just pick for me,, and she just looked confused. Imagine a giant yorkshire guy, wearing a purple hoody with the word 'BUMMIT' on the front, trying to get a random ice cream.

In the end I got 5 flavours precariously placed on top of each other for ~£1 :D

Pineapple was near the bottom and was delicious.

B&J flogged the name to Unilever about 10 years back.

They still influence the operation. Unlike the big corps, they have genuine insite, for which the big chaps are prepaired to pay.

I've seen video of the B&J tubs being filled by a machine. I doubt the hand fill thing still goes on.

The only 'hand made' stuff I can testify to is the 'Australian' chain that used to proliferate Amsterdam.

It was sort of their usp, having staff, mixing flavours & churning the ice cream, behind the counter.

Greg.

Archived