The G&P Lewis Machine & Tool Co. Monolithic Rail Platform CQB Carbine

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7.4 1200 fits in it easily, it's this buffer tube here (on the 10.5 version at least, i believe the 14.5 and shorty may have G&P's new style that's the same size only with closed sides and a screw on cap - not sure on that)

http://shop.ehobbyasia.com/gandp-5-position-lithium-battery-stock-pipe-for-m4-aeg.html

Which 7.4v 1200mah battery are you using? Because if it's a stick battery then of course it's going to fit. I'm looking to not get a stick battery because the ones they sell are for airsoft and are overpriced and underpowered. That's why it would be wonderful if you could measure the diameter of the buffer tube, because then I'll be able to get as close to that as possible with the battery that I buy.

Ahhh fair enough; I get mine from a place in the UK that does packs made for Airsoft, but they're not an Airsoft retailer hence they're well priced - They work out about $16 each on the current exchange rate. Haven't got the dimensions at the moment as i'm at work, but i'll check this evening.

I haven't seen this one, it's kinda cool, though I'm not a magpul nut, so it's a little over done imo. I had seen their shorty magpuled LMT MRP.

@hawagan

I don't know if you forgot, but those measurements would be great!

About batteries, you can put a Firefox 7.4v 1600mAh measuring 170mmx19mmx7mm without trouble and still be able to push "Victor" into position 4. If you are confortable with position 5 then it's up to ~19cm. If you use the stock in position 3 or less then you'll need something shorter, like the G&P 7.4v 1200mAh or even the shorter Hot Power 7.4v 1100mAh (not very hi-q these).

Basically, anything up to 25mm diameter and 19cm long will fit in the fully extended stock. Length will depend on where you sit your stock and diameter will depend on it you -as me- have a MOSFET in there too. 2cm stick batteries will fit under these rules.

I'm seriously considering the shorty for CQB... I was going to use another platform, but just thinking about getting more mags gave me a spine chill.

Edited by Wingmann
  • 2 weeks later...

Does anyone get overspin when they shoot while running a lipo?

I just got my MRP yesterday and my 7.4 and 11.1v lipos give overspin when i shoot it.

The only battery that works fine is a 8.4v nimh battery from a JG gun <_<

I guess I have to invest in a AB Mosfet that will have to fit in the buffer tube, any suggestions?

Does anyone get overspin when they shoot while running a lipo?

Yes, I did with my Sentry

Youtube for "sentry overspin" and the response video with the MOSFET already installed. Worth every penny.

I guess I have to invest in a AB Mosfet that will have to fit in the buffer tube, any suggestions?

Unless you find someone that makes them, as they do for me, Infected Armory ones work nicely.

Yes, I did with my Sentry

Youtube for "sentry overspin" and the response video with the MOSFET already installed. Worth every penny.

Unless you find someone that makes them, as they do for me, Infected Armory ones work nicely.

Funny, I was trying out a Guarder SP90 spring also, but sadly it only gave me like 275fps :mellow:. I was hoping ~330. Maybe I have some compression issues or something cause the spring charts i found state the sp90 to be around 330ish

Anyways, I might get one from Infected Armory also then! Did you get the small or long mosfet w/ AB?

Thanks for your input!

Edited by a4andy

I bought the G&P MRP Airsoft AEG (Sand) (GP909S) on June 29, 2010 (7-months ago) and only put 12,000 KSC Perfect .25gb BBs using a G&P 7.4v 1,200 mAh battery before the stem on the Sector gear broke off completely. Pictures are shown below. This is a follow-up to my original thread below.

Arnie's Airsoft - Weapon and Accessories: Opinions and Comments Requested - AEG G&P MRP, LiPo, Optics

I've contacted the retailer and manufacturer about warranty service or getting a replacement part. The manufacturer said to contact the dealer.

The first symptoms of the break appeared when the semi-auto setting on the selector switch started acting up strangely during the Blackhawk Down gate at Tactical Paintball a few weeks ago, progressively getting worse until last Saturday's game when the semi-auto would not engage. The full-auto setting worked quite fine and well though.

Gearbox

I inspected the gearbox and everything looks like it should, except for the broken stem on the sector gear, and the other gears look in like-new condition. I am not an expert but it appears that the gray grease used on the piston rails is dried out and it appears like there was very little grease used. Additionally, there is a lot of wear on the spring guide and there are metal shavings inside the gearbox piston channel. I would guess that the lack of lubrication and the metal flaking added friction to the piston motion causing additional stress on the stem of the sector gear, which is the first gear to contact the piston, causing the breakage.

Lubrication

There was quite a lot more orange grease on all the gears and around them before I cleaned it off to disassemble and inspect everything, and I'll re-apply a generous amount of grease on and around the gears in addition to a lot more grease on the piston channel guides and spring guide. The piston head and the o-ring around it are still very well lubricated so it wasn't the piston head or cylinder causing the friction.

I might replace the piston with a different manufacturer's version that includes lubrication cuts in the channel guides to allow more grease to get in there over time.

Gear Ratio and Piston Type

I counted the teeth on the gears and from the pinion gear on the motor to the sector gear I get a ratio of 22.32 (10:30 * 10:48 * 20:31). The sector gear has 14 for the piston that is a Type B piston (less-than 400 mm inner-barrel length = ~290mm for my G&P MRP Short 10.5-inch outer barrel, 11.5-inch inner barrel). I do not know the spring type in this G&P MRP but I will guess that it is a standard M120.

Replacement Gear Recommendations

While I wait to hear back from eHobbyAsia.com about the breakage so quickly with this gun and gear I've been doing research on getting a replacement gear set. I want to maintain the ratio that I have in the gun since it was shooting ~350 FPS with .25 BBs at 21.5 RPS (1,290 RPM) that is just right for our Texas Airsoft Organization rules.

I found this Gear Ratio Chart and some posts on AirsoftMechanics.com about gears. It seems that the most recommended brands and models close to my 22.32 gear ratio and flat gears are the ones below.

Since most of these gears have a standard half-covered sector gear with 16-teeth I will have to trim off 2-teeth to shorten the engagement to match my Type B piston.

G&P - Sector Gear - Broken Stem - 1

5504928651_76e8d27020.jpg

G&P - Sector Gear - Broken Stem - 2

5505523990_7996864419.jpg

G&P - Airsoft AEG Gearbox - 8mm Ball-Bearings, B Piston

Resized to 79% (was 1024 x 807) - Click image to enlarge5505564436_2493cc8629_b.jpg

G&P - Airsoft AEG Gearbox, Right - Little, Dry Gray Grease on Piston Rails

Resized to 79% (was 1024 x 659) - Click image to enlarge5504964829_6faf9498a4_b.jpg

G&P - Polyacetal Piston, Spring Guide - Dry Grease on Piston, Metal Wear on Spring Guide

Resized to 79% (was 1024 x 227) - Click image to enlarge5505566914_788211f118_b.jpg

Funny, I was trying out a Guarder SP90 spring also, but sadly it only gave me like 275fps :mellow:. I was hoping ~330. Maybe I have some compression issues or something cause the spring charts i found state the sp90 to be around 330ish

Anyways, I might get one from Infected Armory also then! Did you get the small or long mosfet w/ AB?

Thanks for your input!

1.- For 330fps on that system you'll need a SP100 from Guarder. The SP90 was giving me 290fps on a 285mm barrel, which is consistent with your results.

2.- This one :Dhttp://www.infectedarmory.com/AEG_AB_S.html

Also, once you open the gearbox use quality white grease on the piston rails and gears to keep it working smooth. She'll love you long time and you'll love her back ;D

I placed an order for replacement and upgrade parts for my gearbox along with some more mid-cap mags and BBs for the upcoming Bulldog 6 game.

Airsoft Witchcraft

I did a little bit of research about replacement and upgrade parts and found a lot of Airsoft "Witchcraft" and "it must be good since it's expensive" logic being repeated in many forums. Many people swear by certain brands and upgrades while other empirically say that they have seen little to no difference after their upgrades. It seems that everyone is justifying the money they spent or blew down the tubes and many are trying to save face about upgrades.

I went to both extremes and looked at very expensive stuff like the Prometheus and RiotSC gears and also inexpensive parts like Jing Gong and XYT gears.

In the end I couldn't really justify $100 on a Prometheus gear set for my moderate FPS & RPS requirements when the entire G&P gearbox is $112. I thought about the JG and XYT gears but decided to stick to G&P.

Spare G&P Gearbox and Hop-Up

Finally after a lot of parts picking, recalculating, and thought, I ended up scrapping all the spare parts and instead buying a whole new G&P gearbox and hop-up unit to use as a spares for parts. I also threw in some inexpensive springs, hop-up buckings, and O-rings. I also bought a spare G&P gear set and pinion gear for the motor along with a wiring harness since I broke a little tab off.

So in the end I should end-up with my repaired G&P gearbox using the same G&P gears and a whole spare working one. I'm thinking that the broken stem was an isolated event and that using G&P parts will make part compatibility and replacement easy in the future.

I predict that other things will break over time now so I'll have all the major moving spare parts.

Upgrades

I also bought the ball-bearing spring guide as an upgrade to fix the problem of metal flaking from the solid one that I have.

I thought about buying a tight bore 6.01mm barrel but couldn't justify the $25-35 cost when my barrel was giving me very good and perfectly acceptable accuracy at full auto mode for my assault needs.

I bought a recommended Guarder Clear 50-degree bucking for $3.99 as a possible upgrade for my testing. I couldn't understand the $9.99 or $14.99 triple cost for the MadBull Shark bucking, especially after I read from previous G&P owners that MadBull bucking didn't improve anything in their guns since the stock G&P bucking is good. Same deal with the hop-up, I bought the G&P replacement for spare instead of a new MadBull one.

Disappointed With Airsoft AEG Gearbox Design

Now I've personally opened up an Airsoft gearbox from G&P as one of the better companies I'm quite disappointed with the usage of major plastic parts for the piston head and piston, little springs, tiny ball bearings, rubber o-rings and hop-up bucking, selector plate offset switch engagement of the fire-mode selector.

I can understand why some of my friends have abandoned the AEGs and are going to GBB (Gas Blow Back) for their guns. I've also seen that their GBBs aren't a panacea of reliability, when I witnessed three problems with their guns personally.

I guess routine breakdowns and repairs are the hidden aspect of Airsoft.

Real-Steel vs Airsoft AEGEngineering

I've taken apart half a dozen different semi-auto pistols to perform upgrades and repairs and seen a few rifles and carbines be taken apart to do the same. Comparing Airsoft parts to real-steel equivalents makes me realize the amount of amazingly difficult engineering that is required to make a reliable machine.

I am quite concerned about Airsoft AEG gear box design and I'm a little worried that I'm about to experience a whole world of disappointment and frustration due to the weak design on the gearbox that I'll be repairing for a long time.