You are about to embark upon the Great Crusade....

DesertFoxRomel

Soldiers, Sailors and Airmen of the Allied Expeditionary Force! You are about to embark upon the Great Crusade, toward which we have striven these many months. The eyes of the world are upon you. The hopes and prayers of liberty-loving people everywhere march with you.

In company with our brave Allies and brothers-in-arms on other Fronts, you will bring about the destruction of the German war machine, the elimination of Nazi tyranny over the oppressed peoples of Europe, and security for ourselves in a free world. Your task will not be an easy one. Your enemy is well trained, well equipped and battle hardened. He will fight savagely.

But this is the year 1944! Much has happened since the Nazi triumphs of 1940-41. The United Nations have inflicted upon the Germans great defeats, in open battle, man-to-man. Our air offensive has seriously reduced their strength in the air and their capacity to wage war on the ground. Our Home Fronts have given us an overwhelming superiority in weapons and munitions of war, and placed at our disposal great reserves of trained fighting men.

The tide has turned! The free men of the world are marching together to Victory! I have full confidence in your courage and devotion to duty and skill in battle. We will accept nothing less than full Victory!

Good luck! And let us beseech the blessing of Almighty God upon this great and noble undertaking.

SIGNED: Dwight D. Eisenhower

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HyBKA6SSuh4&feature=related

It was a crusade, a spectacularly successful one.

Problem is, in the words of Jello Biafra, the 3rd Reich never ended. It just switched venues from Berlin to Washington D.C. I'd go further and say it didnt start with Berlin, but with London, Paris and Brussels.

D-Day: 6th of June 1944.

A day long remembered. A day never to be forgotten, even when all those who were there have gone, even when their children and their children's children have gone, we will remember.

Upon the shores of tyranny,

You crashed a human wave,

Paying for our freedoms,

With your lonely unmarked graves.

Thank you.

Problem is, in the words of Jello Biafra, the 3rd Reich never ended. It just switched venues from Berlin to Washington D.C. I'd go further and say it didnt start with Berlin, but with London, Paris and Brussels.

Are you 15 years old, and do you own a rage against the machine t shirt?

Grow up!

London, Paris and Brussels?

Nah, none of them really. In fact, you can blame an awful lot on American Banks. The Weimar Republic was built on short-term credit, most of which came from the US. When the Wall Street Crash happened these loans were called in and Germany was (to put it mildly) financially *fruitcage*ed, nicely setting the stage for the rise of a one-*badger*ed Austrian lunatic to popularity with promises of turning Germany into the powerhouse of Europe (all of which happened to go down particularly well with many impoverished Germans)

Hmmm. Banks going tits-up, credit problems, hign levels of unemployment, dissatisfaction with the political class. Seem familiar?

Personally, the 6th of June to me is mixed. For one side of my family it was the start of the real fightback in Europe, for the other side of the family it was the beginning of their defeat.

RIP Lads of June 6th 1944 - this country still owes you a debt of gratitude.

Actually, I didnt realise the significance of the day. Shame on me. I wouldnt have posted the stuff above if I'd realised.

Yes, much respect for those courageous men of all nations who risked and in many cases gave their lives to fight for freedom and against fascist tyranny. We all owe a great many thanks to them all.

No offense intended - but it's sometimes best to figure out what people are talking about before butting in and maybe offending people.

Especially on a topic such as this.

Of course, the lack of historical awareness is increasingly common - people seem to care less and less about these things. Sure, when you point it out to them, most make the right noises, but if they really cared about it, they wouldn't need it pointing out to them...

Archived