AA-12

steaktipz

Have you thought of this...

Instead of a 3 bb loading system, tune the gearbox for speed then add a mosfet programed for 3 - 5 rounds bursts?

If you get the GB fast enough it will feel almost like one shot. Would certainly be easier!

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

SO ANYWAYS, I'm planning on ordering a JG M16 from the boneyard on Airsoft Megastore today for $70, and as soon as it arrives, I'll get working on the 3 bb loading system.

Keep me apprised. Even though I am not so keen on the whole AEG-shotgun thing I am still verry interested in how this turns out.

@bankz - But then in full auto it would be nothing more than a normal AEG tuned for high RoF! I'm looking forward to shooting full auto and creating a solid wall of BBs, not having a bb laser gun. :P

@ED-SKaR - the rim at the breech end of the bucking is actually what keeps the bbs from going into the hop chamber when the nozzle is back, so I guess I'll get rid of that and see how it goes.

And don't worry, I'll keep you guys posted. ;)

-Andrew

Oh, and one more thing. Making the handguard for the AA-12 seems a bit difficult. I was planning on taking a big chunk of plastic and then just shaving of what I don't need to get the shape I want. The only thing is, I don't know where to get a piece big enough. If anyone knows where to get really big chunks of plastic, or has any better ideas on how to make the hand guard, please let me know!

-Andrew

You're forgetting one important thing. The hop rubber has a bulge shaped part that fits into the hole, you would need to use this part in the new hole.

You don't necessarily need that bulge. Banjo (here on Arnies) actually recommends removing it when building a DMR to gain more consistency with your shots. All you'd probably need to do is put the hop-up on a bit more to compensate.

Oh and loving the idea btw, I've thought to myself before about how you could make an AEG shotgun (never got any good ideas, lol), can't wait to see how it turns out :)

Good luck to you OP. If you need some parts milled from CRS 1080 steel or T6061 aluminum, shoot me a PM ;)

As for the project, I had an idea of making an AEG multi BB shotgun by using an elongated hop up chamber. In a normal AEG Hop up chamber, the nozzle would pull back about 6mm to let the BBs load from the magazine. It loads 1 BB at a time thanks to the lip of the hop up bucking rubber, which prevents the BB from passing into the bucking until the nozzle pushes it forward. Now, if we elongate the distance from the bucking from the nozzle, more than one BB will enter the chamber until the first one reaches the lips of the bucking. That way, they will all go through the hop up and should produce a consistent velocity.

Now, my idea was to have 9 .12g BBs instead of 3 .20 since it would simulate a load of 00 buckshot, be cheaper to load and fire, and have more spread. The spring required to do so is one that is rated at 450-500 FPS IIRC, which shouldn't be a problem, since the real AA-12's RPM is about 300 RPM.

For the spread, what I would do is use a short inner barrel like you're doing, and then have a cone shape apparatus to control the spread of the BBs once it leaves the inner barrel, but is contained within the outer barrel.

Lastly, the real AA 12 is made with polymer clamshell outer shell and with stainless steel internals. What I would do is mill out a custom gearbox, frame, and components from steel and make the outer shell out of fiberglass. If, I would cover and sand the entire outer shell of the M16 with bondo to get the contoured look of the AA 12, while making it still possible to field strip it.

Alright, I just pulled the trigger. My JG M16 will be shipped tomorrow and will be on its way to becoming an AA-12! :D

@DesertFoxRomel - I don't think I have the tools or the skillset required to do all that. :P However I may be calling on you later to make a charging handle or some other parts.

Still need to find a way to make the front hand guard!!!!! If you have any ideas, please contribute!

-Andrew

@ED-SKaR - the rim at the breech end of the bucking is actually what keeps the bbs from going into the hop chamber when the nozzle is back, so I guess I'll get rid of that and see how it goes.

Don't do that! You will ruin the air seal and end up with BBs dribbling out the barrel. You could alter it somehow, to let BBs in but still give a good seal, but thats more difficult.

Looks like my idea was not so hot after all, worth a go though. but use a second hop unit and barrel so if it dosen't work you still have a working gun.

There is a way around all of this complexity that may not even work, and this wouldnt need any non standard parts.

Build a high ROF gearbox and fit a 3 round burst mosfet? OR even more rounds. Which is what i may do when i get around to building a shotgun.

There is a way around all of this complexity that may not even work, and this wouldnt need any non standard parts.

Build a high ROF gearbox and fit a 3 round burst mosfet? OR even more rounds. Which is what i may do when i get around to building a shotgun.

Has been mentioned already, has been shot down by the OP. On the other hand, if he did go this route, then it wouldn't be nothing more than a dressed up AEG.

I have faith in my ideas, while slightly more complicated, will work, given that the parts are made to the right tolerances and are designed properly.

Carve one out of styrofoam, cover it up with cling wrap then apply fiberglass on it for about 3 layers and bondo the finished layer to smoothen things out.

What he said.

I remember reading a tutorial on laying fiberglass to make RC airplane bodies, which can be adapted to making an AA 12. Can't find the article, but it went something like this:

1. Carve the shape of the airplane fuselage *or AA12* out of styrofoam or similar material

2. Cover the final foam shape with packing tape

3. Prepare the fiberglass resin according to instructions *You can buy that and fiberglass woven fabric at Walmart and Home Depot, near the adhesives or boat/ RV area*

4. Put some prepared resin onto the mold, then layer fiberglass mat over it. After the first layer, then put more resin, mat, repeat

5. After several layers, allow to dry. Once dry, pour acetone *nail polish remover* onto the inner foam mold to dissolve it. Remove tape from the inside, done.

Have you ever considered using a walther co2 shotgun internals?

http://www.pyramydair.com/p/Walther-SG9000-CO2-airsoft-shotgun.shtml

They seem like it would be easier to get working than an aeg shotgun.

For the body you could use marine polymer or fiberglass like someone said earlier because it has a "rough" look so it would have simular texture to the real AA-12 (from what I have seen in pics)

Good luck!

All you guys do have great ideas, but the main reason I'm making this AA-12 is so I can have a tri-shot shotgun with full auto capabilities. Besides, I believe that electric power is much more convenient than gas.

-Andrew

...Still need to find a way to make the front hand guard!!!!! If you have any ideas, please contribute!...

3mm PVC sheet, cut to size and shape, heat gently (in oven or with heat gun), lay over wooden former (that you've made previously of course).

Let cool, job done!

Or just make a wooden one.

Here is another thing i hate about airsoft shotguns, that people who don't understand shotguns demand shell ejection systems.

Your M4 dosent have shellcasings, neither does your glock, 1911, mp5 or any other airsoft gun used in airsoft games. Shell ejection is a gimmick, not for the field.

I have to agree there ed, I think it's simply because shotgun shells are bigger so people want to see them. I like the way TM shotguns have been worked out, you get the fun of loading a shell (ok, magazine but it looks cool) and it functions in a reasonably shotgunny manner. I'd think the easiest method of making an AA-12 would be to encase the mechanism of a TM type shotgun in an AA-12 mock-up body then make a magazine loading system, it would necissarily have a TM shell bonded to the top for a little bit of realisitic appearance. I know this wouldn't be auto or even semi-auto but then the spas 12 and bennelli shotguns arn't semi-auto either. You would get a high magazine capasity though and I'd think you'd just have a vertical grip fixed to the pump mech so you'd have a fair fire rate at your disposal. As far as I'm aware any triple shot AEG will just have woeful and inconsistent power, pretty much as when you get a double feed the velicy imparted to each BB isn't equal. Obviously if the OP wants to go down that route it's their money and time but technically I don't see it being very satisfactory as an actual skirmish weapon. I guess whatever mechanism it has it will look damn intimidating, kind of the point of the AA-12 as far as I can see!

Archived