Improving my game...

Speed Torque

I played my second game of air soft the other day. Like the first it was great and I had a lot of fun.

I have quite a happy displacement when I'm playing, because I see it as a bit of fun.

One situation that did bother me occurred later in the game. I joined a couple of guys laid prone in an open bit of ground. I asked the guy to the right for a sit-rep, to which he ignored me. Then, the guy to the left got hit; I crawled over to medic him and got hit myself. At this point it was clear to see the opposing team were mounting at the tree line and they were in range. I thought waiting for a medic was hopeless to I got up called "dead man walking" and started to move back. I glanced at the guy who was originally to my right and gave a cursory "good luck mate", as the attack was gaining momentum and the enemy would overrun this position shortly. Once again he ignored me. As I was walking back, to the re-gen point, about 100m or so from where I was hit, I heard a loud angry shout from that direction. Thinking nothing of it I continued, but as I walked, I played the noise over in my head and the dialogue became more clear. Someone had shouted: "WHY THE FCUK DID YOU HAVE TO SAY GOOD LUCK MATE?!. I couldn't be totally sure, but that phrase would fit the distant noise that I heard.

So, what did I get wrong on my second game of airsoft?

I spoke when I was supposed to be dead, not really giving up tactical information, but I spoke.

Potentially I gave away his position, but he must have been very optimistic if he thought he wasn't visible (desert camo isn’t great in the UK).

What did I do right?

Well I believe I upheld a cheerful spirit during the GAME, not combat simulation, GAME (let's be honest, we're playing soldiers shooting plastic BBs at kids).

I kept my cool when someone was being rude, but mostly that was to do with not being totally convinced in what he said, or that it was him, just pretty sure.

Where do I go from here?

Well, I considered approaching this guy, but he didn't make any eye contact with me fro the remainder of the day, he just swore a lot about how his equipment wasn’t working great. I physically tried to interact with him, offering plenty of opportunity to comment on my game play.

I think my tactics are good enough, but maybe I need to find a balance of still remaining cheerful when shot, after all you're not actually dead, but learning to button my lip when on my way to the re gen.

What do you guys think, you must have seen this pattern in new players before. What would Chuck Norris say?

Erm...I don't really see anything hugely wrong with what you did. If I was the 'last man standing' as such I'd have probably given you a cynical chuckle in response, after all it's a game and it sounds like it was all going to go tits up on that front anyway. When facing overwhelming odds you can either retreat or make a decent last stand.

Dead men don't talk is more "Hit...by the guy 20m away in the ferns to my right", giving your team an unfair advantage, when you glanced back and said good luck if you were some distance away it could be argued you gave the opposing team an indicator as to where someone was but if they are sweeping through your position it wouldn't be that much of an advantage, you're better passing comments like that when you're still standing next to them without looking directly at them as long as the other team is still some distance away.

I'd say the only thing to do in future is learn to avoid the douchenozzles :)

Giving up someones position is always going to get a negative response, however positive or cheerful your comment was. Some guys go for a laugh, others take it a little more seriously. You'll encounter all sorts and learn to who is on a similar wavelength to you.

Overall it sounds like you're overthinking the whole situation. Just do your thing, if people are blanking you let them get on with it.

Personally it sounds like you just got caught up with some of the uptight *albartrotheth* that can be found in this game.

Try in future to take the first ignore (unless they clearly can't hear you) as a sign that you are around a group of such people and try to get away from them as soon as possible as they will drag down the experience if you are there for fun and to enjoy yourself.

Each to their own certainly but there attitude should not drag your day down.

'FireKnife'

yep, as said, dont worry about it.

you may or may not have given his position away, but its not really life and death, and he sounds rather uptight.

lesson learned, airsofters are normal and varied. he may (probably if its like my lot) have been hungover and grouchy :)

Just play- in your own way, within the site rules.

And have fun.

Anything else- politiking, whinging etc- is what you get in any hobby. Ignore it and carry on.

It's taken me 10 years to get back to this simple set of ideals for playing airsoft- it's oh-so-tempting to get sucked into the stupid, counter-productive, pointless whinging about a game we play for fun.

Unfortunately I think there's someone like that at every site; moody, overly serious and thinks he's the greatest airsofter on earth. I imagine when you asked him for a sit-rep he saw you as a 'noob' not worth informing of the plan or that he thought he was being incredibly stealthy. If he then blamed you for telling him good luck he's just a sore looser, he got shot and couldn't accept he lost so he blamed you. This in my oppinion is the lowest reaction from an airsofter, blaming his own team mates because he believes he could have taken on over whelming odds and won. Even had you not said anything the enemy team would have found him and shot him, any smart airsofter will assume where there is one enemy there will be more. Simply put he's just a *rickroll*.

When it comes to dead men talking; all dead men talk, I've never seen anyone get shot, shout hit and leave without a comment like see you later mate or good luck. Of course it's bad form to give tactical information away so that's somthing to avoid.

As far as tactics go I would recomend avoiding team work early on, I know it sounds stupid but a friend of mine who started airsofting at the same time as me basically avoids moving in a team/operating as a group unless its necessary. Basically, I started out operating as a group and as a 'noob' you become reliant on the help of others who in some cases are totally useless and will either put you on point or execute a plan so badly you will all get hit. By being the lone wolf you'll learn to watch the enemy, keep your head down and perform some effective flanking. The friend I mentioned above is often congratulated on his skill as many times a team has been bogged down in a drawn out assault when he suddenly emerges on the enemy's flank and on some occasions has cleared the entire base single handedly. Theis kind of independance and felxibility is one of the best skills you can have in airsoft as you will find yourself alone many times. It also allows you to translate what you have learned to team mates and become an effective commander. But one of the best things about knowing how to play solo is that when you get some *beep* (simmilar to ghe guy you mentioned) trying to give everyone orders and acting like the general, you can just ignore the arogant *beep* go off by yourself and watch from a distance as his plan falls apart and his team get mullered.

All that being said there are times when operating as a team is important...mainly in defense or breakout situations. Always call out enemy locations if you are defending a position and the enemy know where you are, if you are hiding use hand signals. If you need to breakout from a position covering fire is important, ask for it whever you push forward and lay some down so others can move up. Very basic stuff I know, but I find those to be the two most effective and important team tactics. Teams who don't communicate always get beaten.

As others have said, you may or may not have given his position away, but judging by the other bitching about his kit then I'd guess he was just an elietist cock who thinks he could never get hit because he was outplayed and should be avoided

I'm going to guess this guy was using a PTW for 2 reasons, one he was clearly a god complex having, uptight *albartroth* and secondly he had problems with his equipment lol

If you've any F&O sites near you go give them a go mate, everyones friendly and gets along and if they dont then marshalls are very very quick to step in if they see some tension between players and will have you best buddies in no time lol :D

I started out airsofting on my own in the midlands and have met people that have not only become my teammates but also my best friends and extended family tbh :)

I like how people are being judgemental and abusive despite knowing nothing about this guy beyond the OP's brief description.

That's because all we have is the OP's desciption and from that I'm guessing most people think the guy comes across as an *albartroth*. Prehaps if said person was to post a reply giving their side we could see how many opinions change

I think its funny everyone is cutting into the guy saying he's a tool for taking it to seriously and not wanting to have fun.

You do realize people's definition of fun is varied? Some people have fun taking the game more seriously, some don't. Don't see what's so wrong with that. Life is like that.

Archived