Religion V Science

Habakure

Christianity was fine, the Bible bashers were few in number, the people in the streets knew their thing up in the sky wasn't going to protect them, but when it may be replaced by a religion that is indoctrinated at birth and has very strict views then it is not going to be good. Add to that the large number of old fashioned prejudice people in this country and all hell is going to break loose.

Me, I still feel sorry for the women of said religions that still, in a country like this, are forced to wander around in full black burqas by husbands etc. And only half because I want to see if there is a hot girl under there, the rest, I really feel bad for, especially when they see everyone else flaunting what they have.

'FireKnife'

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Of all the churches around the world, I really think the C of E is one of the best, because it's totally ineffectual and therefore harmless. It doesn't flex its muscles, because it doesn't have any; it runs a few soup kitchens and gives retirees something to do on the weekend.

Personally I do believe in the 'do what you want so long as you don't annoy anyone else' philosophy.

However in some religions you get things that really make no sense and really even though that person is part of your religion you are belittling them for being different, something that is very wrong.

Personally one of my things on a list is to get someone on the right track and away from an abusive religion, if it is a hot Middle Eastern girl then even more win. If Christians can go on about converting people away from other religions why can't I convert someone to an atheist or agnostic, so they have more of a view of the outside world.

'FireKnife'

I am a Christian, don't give a damn what people on the internet think of religion in general and I don't try and shove into the faces of people who don't want it. This is my opinion on the matter. I respect everyone who respects me, but anyone who tries to belittle me or any other religious person can go screw themselves.

I am a Christian, don't give a damn what people on the internet think of religion in general and I don't try and shove into the faces of people who don't want it. This is my opinion on the matter. I respect everyone who respects me, but anyone who tries to belittle me or any other religious person can go screw themselves.

I must admit, the only religious people I have anything against are those that annoy and abuse others in the name of said religion. If you just attend church, live a good life, help your community and have friends that are the same way inclined then great, you have achieved what religion should be about. It is the idiots that either take it too far, or religions that by their original texts lead to the mistreatment of others that I have a big issue with.

Well, I wouldn't say that Islam is an abusive religion, it's just the orthodox/extremist part of the religion. Lots of people only focus on that, while it might only be .1 % of all of its followers. Christianity has its extremists too, you know.

It as a single religion isn't, but due to the way it has been interpreted over the years it has lead to some very excessive actions, in the same way Christianity has. The only thing is that nowadays in this country Christianity is dying a slow death and we don't use religion as an excuse for anything, so why should someone else use theirs to lead to the belittlement of others here? In my mind it should all be equal, by all means practice your religion but give others a choice, let women wear what they want and go out with other women, let family members try alcohol, just don't force anything on them, same as I wouldn't force my beliefs on others.

'FireKnife'

we don't use religion as an excuse for anything, so why should someone else use theirs to lead to the belittlement of others here?

'FireKnife'

?

Yes we do, granted - it is the same minuscule percentage that do stupid things in the name of Islam but since I have 3 friends dead at the hands of Irish terrorists I think you should re-think that.

20 years ago in this country nobody had heard of Muslim terrorists, the Taliban were the goodies in a James Bond film and if you said terrorist everyone immediately thought of Irish provos with bombs.

?

Yes we do, granted - it is the same minuscule percentage that do stupid things in the name of Islam but since I have 3 friends dead at the hands of Irish terrorists I think you should re-think that.

20 years ago in this country nobody had heard of Muslim terrorists, the Taliban were the goodies in a James Bond film and if you said terrorist everyone immediately thought of Irish provos with bombs.

I meant the people in GB, ROI is not GB. Apologizes for not being clearer. Also I said in the modern day, we have somewhat moved on from that, along with many of the other things we have done in history in the name of religion (Crusades anyone?) just it seems that others, from all religions haven't got the grasp of this 'let others make their own decisions and do what they want'. As for those that lost lives to Irish bombings, I have family and friends of family on both sides of that, not a nice subject but it did happen and all in the name of something so pathetic when you look at it.

'FireKnife'

My brother pointed out this article to me and is currently a national hot topic.

http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/2012/10/ivory/christy-text

So this priest in the US gets charged for screwing little altar boys, is pulled out by the Church to avoid being convicted then dumps him back to his home town in the Philippines where they give him a promotion making him a Monsignor. Now he fuels the illegal ivory trade by promising salvation through buying religious ivory statues off of him.

*fruitcage* you Catholic Church. *fruitcage* you.

My brother pointed out this article to me and is currently a national hot topic.

http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/2012/10/ivory/christy-text

So this priest in the US gets charged for screwing little altar boys, is pulled out by the Church to avoid being convicted then dumps him back to his home town in the Philippines where they give him a promotion making him a Monsignor. Now he fuels the illegal ivory trade by promising salvation through buying religious ivory statues off of him.

*fruitcage* you Catholic Church. *fruitcage* you.

What do you expect? These kind of bad dealings have been going on for ages. The Catholic Church has had corruption and sexual issues for ages. Still it isn't as bad as the Pope, pretty much not caring what his bishops are up to.

'FireKnife'

No but my friends were killed in NI which is in the UK and although things have dropped off there is still plenty of activity over there.

Half the stuff that happened in NI never got reported on over here and now it seems like there is a news blackout on it.

There is still a lot of bad *suitcase* going on in the name of god around these parts.

No but my friends were killed in NI which is in the UK and although things have dropped off there is still plenty of activity over there.

Half the stuff that happened in NI never got reported on over here and now it seems like there is a news blackout on it.

There is still a lot of bad *suitcase* going on in the name of god around these parts.

I see your point, but again it is, for the most part, not reported as you say. Often the general populance will go with what they see.

But I think my point about practicing but not forcing others to do the same, especially family is valid. Especially as we do notice how the UK seems to be becoming less of a Christian focused area, NI issues included, and more religions are cropping up due to people moving to this country. :P

'FireKnife'

Archived