Something for the Holster enthusiasts.

FireKnife

Shipping is expensive - how cheaply could you get an item half-way around the world? Fuel costs are on the rise, and we pay the difference. For me it is quite simple - you can't get the holster without the shipping, so add it to the total cost of the holster and stop viewing it as "£20 for the holster + £9 shipping"; the holster just costs £29 - simples!

If you want quality, just suck it up and buy it. Sure it's like Tokyo Marui - their gear is overpriced, but it works...so you suck it up and hand over the cash. Same situation here, if you want the quality just loosen the purse strings and swallow your pride. It's an investment to allow you to get more out of your gun; that's how I look at it at least.

This - anything you get for 20 quid from america isn't going to be worth it, and if you can post it cheaply it'll probably end up taking weeks with the cheapest possible options. I'm always confused as to why people will spend hundreds on guns but then get really cheap webbing/gear to carry it all and *badgeress* about the cost the whole time. 

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I bawk at buying cheap kit when it's needed to look after your not so cheap sidearm, a $100 holster to house your $200 pistol (or $800 one :P) is a very good investment, as for IWB holsters they suck for skirmishing when you need to reholster quick, a good belt holster does the job, the shado ones are decent copies of Galco, I had a SOB rig for my 1911 and it was as good as a Galco one which I also owned back when I was upright, just that they use stiffer lesser quality leather, and the retention screws are , but easy replaced with chicargo screws.

I use one of these

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GENUINE-BLACK-LEATHER-BELT-HOLSTER-FOR-COLT-1911-RIGHT-HAND-/271168676527?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f22e9a2af

Think I ended u p paying about twenty quid for mine. Well happy holds my 1911's a treat and looks good too. Strap is designed so you can carry in condition 1 or 2. In condition one it blocks the hammer from falling in condition 2 it dits behind the hammer.

FK, why is being able to draw the weapon how you like it such an issue? If your 1911 is your primary then I'd imagine being able to Do a 'wild west' quick-draw wouldn't be a huge concern.

As in some games I use both a 1911 and Detonics which means I need the Detonics on quick stand by so I can draw and fire nice and quickly. Also when I move and have the options to go to decent / indoor sites then I will need a good holster for transitioning too.

I use one of these

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GENUINE-BLACK-LEATHER-BELT-HOLSTER-FOR-COLT-1911-RIGHT-HAND-/271168676527?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f22e9a2af

Think I ended u p paying about twenty quid for mine. Well happy holds my 1911's a treat and looks good too. Strap is designed so you can carry in condition 1 or 2. In condition one it blocks the hammer from falling in condition 2 it dits behind the hammer.

Ah I did see those, also in Cordura / Nylon look too. Could be an idea to get.

'FireKnife'

Curse this thread. Really made me want to buy an old school Bianchi X15 and was just about ready to order it too but that same old voice went "You can just make that *suitcase*!" in my head. Why can't I be like normal people and pay for fancy things? I can almost feel the pain of hand stitching that rig over a weekend.

X-15 is the daddy, I had a similar bianchi cordura model, but I didn't stretch to buying the X-15 or agent? horizontal,

I'd have kept my galco sob but as fk knows a sob draw is useless for me :P I've a shooting systems dual horizontal rig, not ideal as I'm a fat f**k :P but the rig is comfy ;)

Can this be considered THE holster thread now? 

If so, just wanted to ask for recommendations on shoulder holsters. I've seen several unbranded ones going cheap on eBay, with Viper ones available from around £15 - £20. Worth it for the money or cheap tat that should be avoided? 

As in some games I use both a 1911 and Detonics which means I need the Detonics on quick stand by so I can draw and fire nice and quickly. Also when I move and have the options to go to decent / indoor sites then I will need a good holster for transitioning too.

Ah I did see those, also in Cordura / Nylon look too. Could be an idea to get.

'FireKnife'

The nice thing about the belt slide I linked is it will fit a range of 1911s since the muzzle is open.

If so, just wanted to ask for recommendations on shoulder holsters. I've seen several unbranded ones going cheap on eBay, with Viper ones available from around £15 - £20. Worth it for the money or cheap tat that should be avoided? 

I would say they're ok for relatively small handguns. That price range and the material is often thin especially on the straps making it floppy. If you look at more expensive makes they have thicker and wider padding on the harness, thicker straps, and better quality fasteners. But as with all nylon holsters, they're mostly a generic fit so keep in mind the possibility of having the mag release become disengaged from an ill fitting holster.

edit:

@Aitch

There's cheap holsters and there's Fireknife-cheap holsters. There are plenty cheap holsters that do their job just fine like Uncle Mikes for example. Don't look all that great though.

I would say they're ok for relatively small handguns. That price range and the material is often thin especially on the straps making it floppy. If you look at more expensive makes they have thicker and wider padding on the harness, thicker straps, and better quality fasteners. But as with all nylon holsters, they're mostly a generic fit so keep in mind the possibility of having the mag release become disengaged from an ill fitting holster.

Salamat po (probably the only Tagalog I know)! It's for a TM G18C. Aside from the usual Serpa related items, I'm pretty clueless when it comes to decent holsters - Is it worth looking at a the shoulder holster platforms for the Serpa CQC holsters I already have or is there any other brand I should look at (around £30-£40 + delivery). Ideally with some kind of fixed/detachable magazine pouches.

In the case of shoulder holsters don't get the Viper one, it is terrible and flaps around like a nutter.

As for me, well I think I am going to hold off and see how much I end up with after my bonus, if it is good then get a decent belt slide holster that gives me a hold on my 1911, it is not a rush as like I keep saying wont be going to a decent game anytime soon ue to cold and where I am.

EDIT: 8,000 posts? Damn that is a lot. :P

'FireKnife'

Due to cold? Big girls blouse.. 

I really can't look beyond the Foebus holster for a quick draw. I know they're not for everyone, but I don't know why that is, I can clear a pistol from the Foebus and fire it much quicker than I can with any other type of holster, I've found that sometimes leather holsters tend to grip the pistol, and it's not as smooth as pull as I get with the injection moulded systems. 

Well the issue I have with the Fobus is that TM 1911s always feel a little too loose in them, while you don't want it grip tight you also don't want rattle which is what I get. Plus with a bigger front sight (like on my Night Warrior with a MEU frame) I find the sight catches as it often sits outside and below the sight channel. Just some of the reasons I can't get on with them, Serpas are more the buttons and such.

Though ok while I am here any Italians or Italian based members want to help me with getting another Vega seeing as if I visit eBay.it or other Italian shops they are all over the place and it is easy to find one, but if I look on Google it wont give me anything about buying and from what I gather in translation these people on eBay etc wont ship outside of Italy? Is it illegal to ship holsters (just holsters) outside of Italy or am I missing something?

'FireKnife'

I'm sure you could pad out the fobus with some extra material, a very quick mod that will help no end.

It doesn't help the other issues I have with them though and my preference for non-hard plastic holsters, but still point taken :P.

'FireKnife'

Yeah, also if I put the Detonics in that I think I might get enough grip space to wrap one finger around it on the draw, not comfortable at all :P.

Kept playing with my Vega holster last night, why can't I find another one like you, damn it.

'FireKnife'

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Uncle-Mike-Super-Belt-Slide-Holster-Ambidex-4-5-LG-Auto-Cordura-8615-/380592631263?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item589d16addf

Ok, anyone seen these, use them etc?

Seems like a good general size Cordura holster that can be worn in multiple ways, any comments?

'FireKnife'

Archived