Something for the Holster enthusiasts.

FireKnife

Ok, so this might appeal more to our US members, or certainly non-UK members but can you recommend a 1911 holster that is similar to the Vega FF-200 I have currently.

I want something that is cordura or leather that isn't too tight on the gun, sits close to the body, is belt mountable with a small cant for a right handed shooter.

Now here is the big bug bear, does such a holster exist that isn't more than £20 as to be honest a bit of formed leather shouldn't cost that much. Also any that you suggest could you make it something I can actually get imported to the UK. I have looked but I have a feeling that surely their is more choice for the 1911 than I m seeing. Oh and finally if it has a removeable or even adjustable thumb strap the better as I don't like them too much, if I am running condition one and don't plan to be upside down why would I want to have a thumb strap?

If you can help, thank you in advance.

'FireKnife'

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you go search out 'wet forming knife sheaths' via Google, you'll find tutorials showing you how to make leather sheathes yourself- That's probably going to be the only way you'll get what you want for £20.

Personally, I'd invest in a Fobus. Kydex don't rot ;)

Leather? £20? Imported from the states ?

Not asking for much are you :P

But for half of them they look like a piece of Meh! and not worth it. Though the big issue would be how much US postal charges are :(.

If you go search out 'wet forming knife sheaths' via Google, you'll find tutorials showing you how to make leather sheathes yourself- That's probably going to be the only way you'll get what you want for £20.

Personally, I'd invest in a Fobus. Kydex don't rot ;)

Had a Fobus and tried a Serpa. Erm, nope. They are nice but I don't get on with hard holsters, just not a fan of them, sure they stay rigid but they are not flexible and get in the way I find.

As for making my own, I would, if I had more time and didn't suck at making things. However it might be added to the pile of 'stuff to learn' when I have the time to learn said things. :P

'FireKnife'

The only issue I have is that often you end up with postage overseas being the cost again from certain countires, which is frankly stupid, as I know how much it costs to send something across to other countries. Hell I can send send something to NZ for cheaper than the US and that is, in some cases twice the timezone distance :P.

As for Galco's, the issue still remains, the cost of the holster, hell the decently priced ones are fine or just within budget until they ask for postage. <_<. For a £12 holster it was £9 and that was using Parcel Farce, which is an instant no in my book (I have sent an email and asked, I don't mind £9 if it can be sent via a decent service, but if it touches Parcel Farce's hands then no, not interested).

It seems that trying to avoid Kydex / hard holsters (bulky and stiff on my side) and military ones (often as they are made for many types of pistol they are too bulky also) means spending stupid money for something from a country with frankly ridiculous postage costs. I mean if I wanted a Fobus holster it would be £14, from Israel, within the week (I know, I have ordered from there before) and that is in whatever style I like, but again hard plastic so not for me.

Perhaps I am on a fruitless search due to where the item is likely to come from or from other issues? I can get everything else I would want for a good price so why not a decent holster, damn I got my Vega for £12 posted and that is great, I just want something else to go with it.

'FireKnife'

That is the thing that gets me?

Is leather or cordura some super rare material that costs a weight to post? Is it made from the tears of Allah and doesn't ship unless packed in ice?

Why is it so expensive to ship the damn things? Hopefully I can find something. I have found a Bulldog IWB holster which looks to have decent reviews and the foldaway holster that I discussed with RC. But even the foldaway which is the thickness of a padded envelope and about as big as an A6 sheet of paper yet it costs £7.50 to send?

'FireKnife'

Sounds like you need to dig a little deeper , or be happy with what the uk has to offer for £20, which tbh is not alot for the spec you want.

What's wrong with another vega holster then? If there only £12 posted?

As I can't find anywhere that sells Vega holsters at all, not sure why, they just don't seem to be available. :(

Shipping to the uk is expensive because of insurance, if it goes missing, you'll kick off and want a refund.

Surely if an item lower than a set small amount (£41 for the UK) is lost then it is the fault of the company and is simply reclaimed so why would insurance be so steep?

I swear I saw some el cheapo leather holsters for 1911 replicas over here, for 13 quid IIRC. I doubt that shipping will be more than five quid. Lemme check.

http://www.bron.pl/shopbron/product/KABURY-I-POKROWCE/Kabury/Kabura-skora-do-COLT-1911-Special-Combat/986

Yarp, 14 quid.

Think you missed the 'adjustable or no-thumb strap' bit :P. But thanks either way thank you. Might just have to see what Midway comes back with.

'FireKnife'

True, but fitting a kitchen is a bit different to sending a parcel :P.

Edit: Ok after a polite email from the people at Midway I wont be going with them as they can't use a different courier while charging the same rate (nothing wrong with that rate in a way, just who will get hold of it).

So would it not be easier for me to buy from Europe side? But then knowing me it will hit a language barrier or other issues. Anyone know a company from an European country that has a shooting scene that will send holsters to the UK?

'FireKnife'

@Fireknife

You may be interested in this:

http://www.sulit.com.ph/index.php/view+classifieds/id/6894909/PISTOL+HOLSTER+BIKINI+STYLE+45+AND+9MM+LEATHER?referralKeywords=45+holster&event=Search+Ranking,Position,1-2,2

The local listing comes to about $8 but I know these go for around $5 or less at military/police surplus stores and shipping would probably be around another $5-8 depending on how thick it is (haven't seen these myself in person).

Is leather or cordura some super rare material that costs a weight to post? Is it made from the tears of Allah and doesn't ship unless packed in ice?

Most leather holsters here are hand stitched, that ups production costs. Also most firearm owning americans are patriotic beyond reason so they pay for american made products, and they think that american made products should cost a lot and so these companies charge accordingly.

even so shipping will run you 10 quid.

@Fireknife

You may be interested in this:

http://www.sulit.com.ph/index.php/view+classifieds/id/6894909/PISTOL+HOLSTER+BIKINI+STYLE+45+AND+9MM+LEATHER?referralKeywords=45+holster&event=Search+Ranking,Position,1-2,2

The local listing comes to about $8 but I know these go for around $5 or less at military/police surplus stores and shipping would probably be around another $5-8 depending on how thick it is (haven't seen these myself in person).

Hmm, interesting. Thank you for that.

It is the kind of thing I am looking for, not sure how amazing it would be, but if it can fit a standard 1 to 1.5 inch belt then good.

Other than that I have found an IWB Galco, but not sure on IWBs and the one I found was quite expensive again to ship.

Still the above is pretty much what I am looking for, perhaps more material but not essential.

Most leather holsters here are hand stitched, that ups production costs, and at that most firearm owning americans are patriotic beyond reason so they pay for american made products.

even so shipping will run you 10 quid.

It is not the cost I am that fussed about if it is quality, it is mostly the postage rates. Ok some of the holsters look good for the price, but that is not what I want. If this was life or death or concealed carry for a real firearm I would look at spending £50 odd but as it is for a toy gun that cost me about £70 I don't see the point in spending that much on it when it comes to a holster. I did notice though a lot of people on reviews in the US putting under cons 'not made in the US', which I assume to everyone else is like stuff made in the UK, not really that great :P.

'FireKnife'

you could try these. not exactly leather or cordura but very popular in certain places right now.

This is a Hazard multi holster. fits pretty much all pistols and attaches to anything velcro.

HazardHolster_zps0aa2e369.jpg

the link below is for a concealed holster made of elastic and velcro. Very good at what it does.

http://www.bulldogcases.com/case-vaults/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=157

you could try these. not exactly leather or cordura but very popular in certain places right now.

This is a Hazard multi holster. fits pretty much all pistols and attaches to anything velcro.

the link below is for a concealed holster made of elastic and velcro. Very good at what it does.

http://www.bulldogcases.com/case-vaults/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=157

The Hazard ones are not really what I am looking for though.

As for the belt idea, I see the point but I don't like things tight around my stomach like that.

Yep, and all of them are size 11-13 which means Glock, sadly.

If you are willing to consider IWB take a look at the Comp-Tac Minatuar, I use one as my EDC for a 5 inch 1911, it dissapears on me, and I have another shell that will fit my M&P.

http://www.comp-tac.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=95

Sorry but Kydex, one of the things I am trying to avoid is hard plastic as it just doesn't work on me.

'FireKnife'

Archived