The practicality of "Stealth" and Green Precision BBs

FTZ-WildeCard

What scope and magnification are you using? I use 4x mag and  I often notice that i can not see green bb's in flight when shooting medium distances (30-40m). But when shooting at longer distances 60+ the bb's are slow enough to be seen on scope before they hit the target.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm using 4x currently (adjustable 3-9x) with 50mm objective lens. I think my issue was compounded by also playing in woodlands where there is a LOT of green for the BB to blend with. I think in more urban environments, it might be OK - but just in general chatter and on here, I think .36 may be too heavy for my 400fps (on .2) rifle currently, anyway.

I'm hoping .3s (in white) will be just right. :) 

• 1 month later...

When using dark rounds in bolt action or DMR guns, I get a rough scope zero and hopup setting by firing at the horizon so I can see the rounds against the light background of clouds and sky.  Precise zeroing is done with targets, either white paper or (my favorite for airsoft) disposable aluminum pie pans.  If possible, I set up targets at man height in 50-foot increments to get an idea of the correct point of aim at various distances.  If I'm having trouble scoring a hit during the game I'll occasionally send a round at the horizon above my intended target to figure out the "Kentucky windage" for my next shot--this works much better than you might think.

• 3 weeks later...

I use Madbull .43's ( black) in both my WE M16 GBB, its fps using them is averaging 440 and I also use them in my PGM 338 Hecate, its fps with them averages 420

With both guns as per our club rules I have minimum engagement distance of 35 to 40 metres

I find they are great to use as they dont highlight your position the way the white pellets do

As far as accuracy etc goes, the same rule applies as it does for hunting, ie, if your gun is sighted in correctly, learn how to estimate range and have confidence in the gun to put the rounds on target.  After all, if it was a hunting rifle or a military weapon, you wouldnt exactly be expecting to see the bullet in flight would you

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

If you can find them in stock that is. Going to be having the same issue using 0,4g Blasters in my newly built DMR this weekend. Been hunting for a place that sells the tan madbulls all week but can't find anything in stock in the UK

In the exact same situation as you. The Blasters are even more expensive than the Madbull BBs as well! :/

If you can find them in stock that is. Going to be having the same issue using 0,4g Blasters in my newly built DMR this weekend. Been hunting for a place that sells the tan madbulls all week but can't find anything in stock in the UK

Annoyingly, tan .40 are no longer manufactured. I've heard that Guarder make tan .40 (can't find these in the UK either). I can't pick up the grey ones at all... I don't care how well zeroed your scope is, making 80-90 meter shots at 500fps is far more achievable when you can follow the round in. I've put my sniping days behind me, but run (or used to) tan .40 in my pistols and WE GBBr XM, and have had to move down to .30 as the grey .40 are unusable to me.

It's obviously possible to manufacture tan .40, and the decision to stop, and only produce grey is one I can't understand (there must be a reason though). I'm half tempted to investigate manufacture myself. But so many others have tried the "lets get bbs made" idea, and have got nowhere....

Annoyingly, tan .40 are no longer manufactured. I've heard that Guarder make tan .40 (can't find these in the UK either). I can't pick up the grey ones at all... I don't care how well zeroed your scope is, making 80-90 meter shots at 500fps is far more achievable when you can follow the round in. I've put my sniping days behind me, but run (or used to) tan .40 in my pistols and WE GBBr XM, and have had to move down to .30 as the grey .40 are unusable to me.

I now have 1000 tan .40g BBs for sale.

£1 each as they're rare. ;)

BUGGER!! :o Is that true?

Well if you're looking for .4 tan they are still in stock at LandWarrior. ;)

No they're not... They just haven't bothered to change the picture. A couple of my guys have been caught out with that. :(

The info regarding stopping manufacture was in a response to a message to Madbull by a team mate on FB. They said they would look into it, but meh... I doubt we'll see them again anytime soon. I think *have no evidence for this* that the OEM for Madbull ammo, is the same as for King Arms branded... So it's potentially an issue at source rather then 'brand', if that makes sense?

It's infuriating as my XM still overhops a .30 on minimal hop. I have about 200 tan .40 left, and they're being used very sparingly! :(

I heard the link with KA ammo as well actually - there are minute colour differences by spec for feel and size they are similar apparently.

Also, I know the Madbull .4s are not in stock -- I just meant the Devil Blaster Tan .4gs are! http://www.landwarriorairsoft.com/acatalog/Blaster-Devil-0-40g-BBs--3000--AS16179.html#.Ugz4hJKsjZE

Bit more pricey, but any port in a storm eh? :)

EDIT: Oh wait, nevermind -- I see what you mean, they're grey... argh!!!

I'd be loathed to call them grey, they're practically black. :(

Yup... Fair enough, I can see target plinkers may not mind the dark colour. Tracking the shot against a predominantly white target setup wouldn't be that hard. But for combat shooting in the woods, I just can't see the logic in changing.

Some of the guys that have been sniping for 10+ years have not had a big issue (they were used to the Straight .43 anyway), but all the guys who're only used to tan .40 are struggling a bit. Besides, I'd rather have a couple of shots come in, than a good few "because I couldn't see them" :P.

Edit- Good find Wlidecard!! They're better than nothing! Now to see how fast they sell out... :P

Archived