The Walking Dead Season 4

creepingfear

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Carl walking backwards is one of the laziest forms of writing.  In fact everything Carl does is lazy writing.  It's not standard writing stuff.  Maybe for GCSE English but not for a multi million $ TV program.

We're going to have to agree to disagree on this.  But the writers of TV greatness, Breaking Bad, GoT, The Wire, The Sopranos e.t.c. are on my side.

There is so much well written zombie stuff out there that doesn't rely on stupid writing to get the viewer to feel suspense, repulsion, terror e.t.c.  They almost poetically weave events that seemingly naturally occur, causing these emotions that make it feel as if situations are out of the characters control, forcing their hand to do something precarious, dangerous or whatever.  That is how it should be done.  Rather than Carl walking backwards down an empty street and suddenly a zombie appearing behind out of nowhere.  I find it astonishing that people find this acceptable.

He is supposed to be a stupid kid, thats the character. He does stupid things, he learns hes stupid and not amazing. He wanted to lead the zombies away from the door because of his dad, it wasnt 'forced' at all. It followed and developed his characters story arc. I dont get whats lazy about it. Having the governor attack the prison was lazy writing.

GoT is very predictable and conventional.

The wire; the whole concept of the show is based around the inevitability criminals will die, druggies will be druggies and police will police. Every series is more of the same.

Breaking Bad; Jesse always goes back to drugs. Hank is the stereo typical do right cop. They all make terrible decisions to advance the plot.

Sopranos; Tony Soprano always makes stupid and/or selfish decissions out of the blue.

They all follow conventions, they just do it extremely well. They are all flawed and make mistakes thats the point of character arcs. Is there other better written zombie stuff? Yes of course. LOTR> GoT , doesnt mean GoT is a bad story.

He is supposed to be a stupid kid, thats the character. He does stupid things, he learns hes stupid and not amazing. He wanted to lead the zombies away from the door because of his dad, it wasnt 'forced' at all. It followed and developed his characters story arc. I dont get whats lazy about it. Having the governor attack the prison was lazy writing.

GoT is very predictable and conventional.

The wire; the whole concept of the show is based around the inevitability criminals will die, druggies will be druggies and police will police. Every series is more of the same.

Breaking Bad; Jesse always goes back to drugs. Hank is the stereo typical do right cop. They all make terrible decisions to advance the plot.

Sopranos; Tony Soprano always makes stupid and/or selfish decissions out of the blue.

They all follow conventions, they just do it extremely well. They are all flawed and make mistakes thats the point of character arcs. Is there other better written zombie stuff? Yes of course. LOTR> GoT , doesnt mean GoT is a bad story.

I think you miss the point of the predictability and convention.

Complaining about The Wire that druggies are druggies and police are police is like complaining the the day follows a 24 hour cycle.  Of course that is what it is about.  I don't recall any major stupid decisions that happened in those programs.  At least I don't recall shouting at my TV asking wtf? they're doing.  Of course I'm sure there were stupid decisions occasionally as nothing is perfect.  They certainly didn't occur with the frequency and magnitude of the dumb stuff that happens on TWD.

But you can see how these programs hide convention well at least.

Also, take for instance something like Justified.  Fantastic program and not one bad episode.  Yes, some characters make stupid decisions but these are established stupid characters. You don't get flip flopping stupidity when it's convenient for the writers.

Im not complaining druggies are druggies, im saying the show follows a formular and coventions of plot and character for police tv shows pretty closely. Simularly TWD follows horror/thriller conventions. They want you to respond like that, loads of horror and thriller conventions work that way Its the classic "what are you doing?".

I guess we will have to agree to disagree as i dont think they make that many mistakes, i dont see there personalitys changing much to suit the story either. maybe you have an example? They have all have seemed pretty consistant to me. I think Cuurrll has shown time and time again hes abit dim, finding his feet and anti authority.

Ace has got it right there. Even if Carl walking back is lazy writing or a convention. Put yourself into his shoes, a 14yo? kid who has been thrust into being a man far too soon. Watching friends die, loved ones die, everything die, constantly on edge. Yeah your going to be a little skittish, he is very young and does not really know the way of the world. So when confronted by several zombies his natural reaction would be to walk backwards, with 100% of his attention on the zombies infront of him, not thinking about whats behind him. Where as say Rick for example being a cop would have a his attention everywhere, whats in front, behind and wouldnt get him self into that situation and thus would not have anything written like that.

My interpretation of the whole walking backwards thing is not Carl being on edge and skittish.  It is the opposite, he being too cocky about things, almost making it into somewhat of a chore-like game.  I know we have established Carl is as intelligent as a wooden spoon but a clever person would establish the distance, walk forwards checking every direction and frequently looking back to make sure they weren't making ground.

Hmm, I can't think of any examples off the top of my head.  I will have a think.

What gets at me is they always rely on silly actions to get into situations of peril when those situations could be orchestrated more naturally.

Take for instance the girls death by clay zombie prior to the assault on the prison.  The Governor leaves not a single person to guard the woman and the child.  The child is left unsupervised in an area that is not 100% safe.  No mother with half a brain would let her child out like that.  For the sake of safety, they would be in the camper.

Every movie/tv show has a huge flaw in it. Humanity. We are flawed. If a movie/tv show was believable, it wouldn't be made. As most stories need an element of condensing time and space. You achieve this by crating cause and effect or by having a predictable character that is the voice of the audience.

TWD you are meant to shout at the screen and go "it's behind you" as it's pantomime. It's actively written as such. We may not like it, but that's what they have gone for and they are being paid to do it, while we sit at home wanting to do it. It's akin to plot holes, every movie/tv show has them. Because we use assumption to ascertain what a character might/should do.

TWD serious? lol. I don't know.  If it's in .357 or .44 and you are well trained to use it, it is a very formidable weapon.  The size of those rounds will do some serious damage to zombie brains compared to those idiots running .22 LRs ha ha.  I've watched some IPSC with Desert Eagles and they can be very controllable.  No more impracticable than a 1911 as long as you keep it clean.

Anyway, surprisingly I don't really have much to moan about for this episode.  Carl taking his empty Beretta on the scavenge run was odd and had potential to loose it.  But I appreciate this is pretty picky.

My main issue was Rick practically slamming that door to the bathroom with the bad guy walking past about 1m away and then he did not hear the following scuffle...

Also, I would have thought Abraham would have given at least a little bit of weapons handling training to his crew...

Dudes a scientist he doesn't need training. Im guessing hes telling porky's too, or something.

rubber Uzi in the bathroom shenanigans made me laugh with magazine all bent out of shape.

yea the Dessert Eagle is one of those big heavy guns in large calibers (not .50 of course) with surprising little recoil.

Dudes a scientist he doesn't need training.

Tell me.  You are leading a small group of people though a zombie infested land and you wouldn't want everyone capable of handling themselves? These people that will no doubt end up being in a position requiring them to to save your life.  I sure as hell would.  I can't see miss short shorts is long for this world so you can't rely on her.   You're stuck with an idiot that will most likely get you killed.

Already hate the scientist.

Also wondering why they introduced this guy so late into the progression of the story. Perhaps they wish to end it/create another overarching goal for the series? Does the comics actually end or is it still ongoing?

Think they are ongoing and possibly never showing what illness causes the zombification.

Tell me. You are leading a small group of people though a zombie infested land and you wouldn't want everyone capable of handling themselves? These people that will no doubt end up being in a position requiring them to to save your life. I sure as hell would. I can't see miss short shorts is long for this world so you can't rely on her. You're stuck with an idiot that will most likely get you killed.

Haha, i wasnt serious.

you are assuming back story. You dont know their past situation or what theyve been up to.

Ha.  Oh right.  Anyway, even if they've know each other for just a few days or even hours you would think they wold run through some basic rules.  Anyway.  Looking back, it was one of the best episodes in a very long time.

Already hate the scientist.

Also wondering why they introduced this guy so late into the progression of the story. Perhaps they wish to end it/create another overarching goal for the series? Does the comics actually end or is it still ongoing?

It's ongoing - Up to issue 114 now? I can't remember the exact number, but there's a whole story arc with the 3 new folk and there's a reason Eugene comes across as a complete twat. Saying that, there's nothing about the train depot 'sanctuary' in the comics, so I'm interested to see where that goes. 

I'm wondering if the TV show is going to come up with an explanation for the Zombies just to satisfy the viewers, as the comics haven't done so far and I don't think they plan to..

Some dude blurts out that classified mullet scientist can save the world, and everyone pretty much just accepts it?  I get that Glenn has other things on his mind, but you'd think he'd at least have a couple questions after the whole CDC incident.  Maybe the writers figure if you're still watching you either get the plot development from comics or don't care if it makes any sense.  

Archived