Drawing Manga

HaVoC

K! [EDIT: N-TEENTH TIME not going to correct anymore... bugger this]

I've taken a picture of (as in "right click" - and not snap!) a girl's face from a manga called Vagabond. (Did I just hear a whole bunch of people say that at the same time?)

Notes on drawing manga faces and hints for beginners like me.

The aim of this "little tutorial" if I may, is simply to try to help get people started. Nothing more, really. If I put you off in anyway, my apologies! :P

I want to help bring about a greater awareness and attention to detail - but without throwing too much of it at you at one time. Proportioning is is just another thing to practise over and over again.

Yus. This is a duplicate from someone else's manga - I know, and most of us have posted oringinals. But in my opinion, you should start by copying, tracing and duplicating in any way your fav's before diving head first into the hardcore manga stuff. :)

Manga (generally speaking) is simply pop-art for kids (in japanese). It's not meant to be completely life-like nor is it meant to be taken too seriuosly. So those anti-manga people can find something better to do than whinge.

I'm sure most of you would know - less is more. Detail in manga is very selective and shouldn't get too "busy". It's hard to draw faces because of this. Especially the Hair, Nose, Lips and Ears which hardly show themselves here. But you'll know what i mean. ;)

EDIT: bugger, too small my pencil drawings they are... (damn you havoc for that remark) she's still got a friggin nose!!!!! :angry:

manga04.jpg

manga01.jpg

Hand-writing:

NO.1 An exaggerated version of 'over-drawing'

hair - less is more (this is a 'poor' example, if you will) [meaning have a look but dont do what i did here, sort of thing]

Trying to show different layers of clothing [traditional japanese kimono stuff] and failing [due too the fluffy lines - instead it should be clear, fine lines. Like a fine felt tip for example]

manga02.jpg

hand-writing:

NO.2 With much less detail - still too much attention to hair.

Hair better - Lines "away" from parting suggests shiney hair, sunshine etc. (Still a bit messy at [the] ends)

Left of hat and clothing detail. Too much going on, rs attention away from face.

As with NO.1, nose area has been shaded, with "bias" for that - candle lighty effect.

Also, the nose is a bich to draw. :P This way, true detail can be avoided without "losing too much face"!!! :lol: .... no? not funny? :mellow:

manga03.jpg

hand-writing:

NO.2B Many artists do not bother with absolute symmetry, preferring slight flaws for example. [Plus... they got a dead line to catch...]

Just to quickly show [minus the details here] how a reasonably-realistic-comic-face should be.

Eye-line just above the half-way line [red-dotted line].

Natural curves are undoubtedly one of the most difficult things to draw. Practise loads. This bit has been cut off when i tried to scan :P

------------------------------------------------------

Notes on the picture:

Lips are a little too far away from the chin - but small details are mostly a matter of personal opinion.

Cheekbone/Jawline (?) - is one of the key "parts" of the face. Very important when in comic/manga, you have to establish in one single picture, many things about one certain character.

i.e. manly man/girly girl main character makes appearance - must convince the reader, and simply sell the story in a flash.

Keywords: Filtering certain unwanted details/aspects/objects of the character to help draw attention elsewhere. Again, the downsizing thing - start simple and keep it that way until you realise the control over your art.

Get templates going: make a habit of templating and mass-producing faces. It helps you maintain the consistency of details and things, preventing momentary face lifts or parts going out of proportion etc etc.

Also try different angles too. Try arranging blue tac on an egg so it looks like a face - and rotating it. Of course, you could just spend money and buy them display models of your fav' characters too. :P

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Looks like Wacko Jacko to me :lol:

:blink: damn you havoc!!!!

I was trying to help you... :mellow:

[next lesson: the different families of manga... and expressing emotion via big-time exaggerations like them flaming eyes]

[hissy fit]

IF I CAN BE BOTHERED THAT IS!!!!

[/hissy fit]

[non-n00b detected]

I'm sorry havoc... I'll have to try to throw you out of your own thread mate.

[honestly have no idea of bishojo thingy... goes to search now]

back from yahoo - it means cosplay? no. am I mistaken? but it's not cosplay.

But if you mean "traditional styled drawing" then yeah.

As in drawing from a more traditional background. Studying the old architechture even, the clothing, a sort of a manga trend thing for certain artists to follow old-school.

oh

well in that case - I'm not too bothered about that style, where EVERYONE gets prettied up.

Try Clamp's comic X.

Clamp I believe is some publisher.

X - some deep and complicated story about all these divinities fighting over loads of things....

*the worse and most shallow summary I have given for ANYTHING in my life, but yeah.*

try that for pretty pics.

Noses... they all have pointy-ish noses for that skinny-face look. And they have [you've guessed it] thin bodies. and very toni and guy hair etc etc.

THAT takes ages to draw and isn't very n00b friendly.

It's all very 80s, as you can imagine.

Takehiko Inoue - pronounced [ta-care-he-cor] [ee-nor-oo-where]

that's the guy responsible for Vagabond *if I had done that thing previously on a male character maybe havoc wouldn't... well he'll just find someone else to compare it to.*

But also slamdunk - a story about a high-school basketball team in japan. Modern setting - only it's written like a decade ago. It's pretty much as realistic as you can get for manga, but in no way do sixth formers [or which ever year they're in] look that grown up.

Takehiko Inoue

Guy in question ^

In slamdunk: Just because it's based on a real world-ish environment, doesn't mean the characters don't go apesh!t with them anime-expressions.

Slamdunk10.jpg

a postery pic of some proper b-ball action

sho01.jpg

erm... :mellow:

edited: n00bx2

IT's homepage btw In Japanese, English OR Chinese!!! WOW!!!

I was just about to say something that could have caused a sceen.

/on with the post/

Im not into that "pretty girl" style stuff. A manga/anime i liked (untill i saw the ending) was "Fullmetal Alchemist" The style was pretty good and i liked how the characters/back grounds looked.

Archived