MP4-12 REX

Dr.Arnie

Hi all, this is a restart of the project that kezwick and myself had started over a year ago. the original aim was to finish this in some capacity for the build competition but it had to be put to one side for more important things.

on a more positive note, we have restarted the project but with a slightly slower pace for the mean time.

Bellow is some information regarding my self and kezwick, (copied from competition)

History: -

Basically the idea for this project came about after randomly coming across the REX some years back prior to my playing BF 3. After playing said game and thinking to myself I wonder, I put the idea towards Keswick and within mere hours the ideas came forth.

Myself: - seasoned airsofter of 8 years, frequent daydreamer.

Keswick: - airsofter for 1 year but a seasoned engineer with aerospace expertise.

The gun: -

As most of us will know, the MP412 REX is portrayed mainly within the games of battlefield. What isn’t widely known is that this gun has only existed as a prototype. From what little information exists it is of break action design, 4” barrel.

The main details can be found on wiki: -  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MP412_REX

Or world.guns: - http://world.guns.ru/handguns/double-action-revolvers/rus/izhmeh-mp-412-e.html

As this gun only exists as a prototype that few people have seen in person it proposed a problem. Using the only 4 pictures that exist we have got the design to as close as we can. It isn’t 100% accurate so please bare with us.

Our decisions: -

As we have jumped right in at the deep end there are a few unique features on this piece. Firstly it is a break action revolver, this design allows for the unique feature that we have created that if successful will make it the first reliable and skirmish able revolver allowing for fast reloads comparable to a semi-auto pistol. I wont say too much on this as it is a secret for now, for two reasons. One we aren’t sure that it will work so don’t want to get hopes up and two, if all goes according to plan we hope to produce this gun in batches in the future and don’t want to give anything away to any prying eyes. The things I shall reveal are that it will use standard marui hi-capa/1911 barrels and hop rubbers. The volume of gas per charge is just larger than that offered by a TM 4.3 Hi-capa agazine

Stats: -

Shots – 6

Modes – single/double action

Power – gas

Barrel length – 4”

Materials – steel, polymer (to be decided)

Hop up fixed (for the time being)

Finish: - Blued steel

the above has changed slightly and is restricted to the 100% finished article. in order to make this feasible and not run up huge costs on something that could just be a paper weight we are curently having all parts 3d printed.

feel free to ask any questions and bellow are some pictures of whats been done so far, hope you enjoy!

rex1_zpsade4701e.jpg

rex2_zps60592a30.jpg

rex3_zps6f3116f0.jpg

rex4_zps256d2f44.jpg

rex5_zps80bd170f.jpg

a little 2.5" snub nose

rex251_zpsad52c7a4.jpg

rex252_zps43faf401.jpg

and a comparison in size to a Tanaka colt python

rex6_zpsd631b607.jpg

gimmie a way of mounting a red dot and a flashlight on it and add an adjustable hop then im sold. .... tbh just the adjustable hop and il take one to start with :P good luck with the project let me know when you have an estimated price.

• 2 weeks later...

hi all!

just an update, the rex is slowly coming on and the upper receiver is in full working order, i.e., barrel and extractor work nicely. (i shall add pictures when i get chance). 

in order to minimise the amount of work and obtain a working prototype the mechanism will be derived from a tanaka colt python. it will require a little modification but it should work.

this also leads on to the point that should the lower receiver work with tanaka internals then it is more than likely we can produce a kit that allows for the tanaka cylinder to be used in the rex as well.

would this interest people if it was available as a kit for a tanaka revolver? i know that kits have existed in the past but i didnt know if people were willing to use an expensive and well built revolver as a donor gun. your views would be greatly appreciated. 

i will post pictures up as soon as i have time to take them!

not sure. i wouldn't mind a kit so much if i didn't have to perform modifications to the Tanakas gas cylinder thanks to their new restricted valves.

however, Tanaka's current python is very cheap now that they have released a budget version with no special finish. 

still though, who knows how long they will be available before you can only get them in a $400 special finish version making the whole project expensive as hell.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Great to see you guys back at it! Unless the price is really up there, this is an insta-buy for me, it just ticks all the boxes! :D

The fact that it's made by airsofters and not some greedy corporation is just the icing on the cake!

I vote full pistol, a kit+tanaka would shoot the price into the stratosphere for people who don't already own the revolver.

I wonder in tanaka would make you the parts you need to make x mp4's. Although most companies don't turn away that kind of order (quick, profitable), my experience tells me most japanese companies won't even deal with a gaijin.

Archived