New Year Resolution.

amateurstuntman

I suppose as part of keeping this thread going I'll post on Friday's with my weight progressions

For reference the program I am following is this:
http://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/jason-blaha-ice-cream-fitness-5x5-novice-workout

Although I replace hyperextensions with cable pull throughs (lack of appropriate equipment) and also add in 3x8 hanging leg and 3 sets of as many chins as I can manage.

So the compounds for tonight were Squat and Bench Press which were successfully completed at 203.5lbs (92.5kg) and 154lbs (70kg) respectively (5lb/10lbs increase from last posted)...went a little balls out on the bench press but it seems that with a little bit of time spent practicing unrack/rerack and form/hand placement on the empty bar I'm much more confident...gonna reign it in on Monday as with every other movement dropping the bar doesn't result in face breakage.

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Danke - just file it off...

Or - if you don't want to damage the weapon, do a load of practice of your drills with the first two fingers of your off hand taped together.

RSM - thanks for posting, do you have a spot for the bench?  If you injure yourself you won't achieve anything...

I wnt to see "The Hobbit: An Unexpectedly long bloody movie that still doesn't manage to finish a story that was only a 300 page book" today.

So once I had got back in and fitted my new brake lever/gear shifter it was too late to go out for a ride, I am migrating my system drive to a RAID 0 array instead.

Bike ride tomorrow.

Interestingly due to crash damage and buying second hand replacement parts I now have a mixture of SRAM Red, Force, Rival and Apex on my bike.

Next month - more Hope parts whoop!

Danke - just file it off...

Or - if you don't want to damage the weapon, do a load of practice of your drills with the first two fingers of your off hand taped

I used to ride BMX, and carried the 2 finger braking habit over to motorbiking. Taping my fingers together is how I broke the habit and got through my test.

Wait, that's a bad habit?

On my old MTB I had to move down to one finger braking because I was locking up the front too much on 2.

I have been a recent addition to the world of road cycling, I was always a pure downhill/slalom type of rider and just spun the granny (or got a ski lift) back to the top.

Since getting my road bike I think there are a few really significant mental differences between MTBers and road bikeists.

One of the biggest ones is the quality and feel of braking that is acceptable.

I had a Carrera road bike for a couple of years and I never got on with it, it had rim block type brakes that were just horrible, they are utterly pointless.

In the wet you had to drag them before you got to a braking zone so they would dry out and actually work when you got there.

When I got a new bike last year I got a cyclocross bike and it has disk brakes, one of the big selling points for me.

It came with Hayes V5 cable activated disks and they were totally bobbins.

I took it back to the shop thinking they were broken and the guy told me they were working fine.

Another roadie asked me if disks were any good and I let him have a go of my bike expecting him to hate them, he thought they were amazing.

Low standards.

They need to be adjusted after every wet ride and they are single piston 140mm nonsense.

I hear TRP have a 2 pot mechanical disc but knackers to that.

I am going to fit a set of Hope V-Twins with the M4 calipers if I can get them.

The whole mess is extremely complicated.

Because road bikes have integrated brakes and shifters you can't just jet hydraulic brakes, you need new shifters too.

SRAM make them but they are nearly 500 quid for the cheap ones and they have just done a product recall of all of them.

Shimano make a set of hydraulic levers but they only work with their robotic Di2 shifting system and I'm not buying a bike that cost more than my car (although I might upgrade one incrementally until it is worth more if nobody tells my wife).

That leaves you trying to use mechanical levers to activate hydraulic brakes.  That's what the Hope system (and a couple of competitors) does, the cable is only 8 inches long and it leads to a pair of remote master cylinders under the stem.

From there is is all hydraulic.

I don't ask much, all I want is for a set of brakes to be able to lock my front wheel with a road tyre on dry tarmac at 40mph with 115kg of man and bike pushing against it, I'll modulate the rest.

Anyway, that's a job for February.

2-finger braking is a huge must do on a motorcycle. But don't listen to me; see what Kyle Defoor says on SSD. http://soldiersystems.net/2014/01/04/gunfighter-moment-kyle-defoor-8/

Failing a test for 2-finger braking sounds like another spawn from a bureaucrat who has never been near a motorcycle in their life and gained their knowledge from a Her Majesty's Printers pam from the 1930s.

For the hook on the guard; I"m thinking the easy way out is to just leave a flashlight on. Voila.

Another resolution is to do a bit more riding this winter.

IMG_20131221_111844_247_zpszi8sfhtj.jpg

IMG_20131221_112951_108_zpsgcfov8ut.jpg

Nice, is that the 2014 Wo?

I have a '13 Rove.

I have strong sexual feelings about the Ti frame they are doing for it but the cable routing etc. is all in the wrong place for me, I can get that fixed relatively cheaply on a steel frame but Ti adds a fair bit of cost.

The way he explained it was if I needed to I couldn't put full power on the lever because my other two fingers would be in the way of the lever.

Either way, learn to pass the test etc etc...

Exacty, something from the 1950s that can't be changed because "it's in the book".

Anything cross based will have the cables on teh down tube/BB. It's for when you shoulder it on dismounts. Same for having a high top tube, easier to pick up.

Yes 2014 Wo. Bags of fun!

Yeah but I don't like it.

I am tall so I can clear obstacles with the top tube in my armpit while grabbing the down tube and even with a lower top tube and all the cables routed along the right hand side of the top tube (in full length outers), which is my preference, you can still shoulder the bike.

There is a guy on ebay doing 3al 2.5v titanium frames built to spec for £700.

That's a nice goal to aim for.

EDIT

I'm a 1 bike sort of a guy, I want one bike to do everything and I fight my instincts to constantly buy more of them but if I was going to have a second bike I'd love a fatty.

What are your impressions?

Really it feels like riding a normal bike. Every spring I try to get on the trails early on a 29" with 2.3" tires and it won't go. The tires just wash out.

This way I can keep some riding in my winter routine. Not so much for fitness; just for doing something outside that's fun.

If you're a cyclist and you live some were that's got knee deep snow for a few months of the year check one out.

RSM - thanks for posting, do you have a spot for the bench?  If you injure yourself you won't achieve anything...

Unfortunately not so I'm in the middle of sourcing some straps you fit to the rack and adjust so they form a loop that can hold the bar just off of you in the event of fatiguing.

My New Years resolution is to break the power a certain someone has over me, as well as continuing to work toward my Daft Punk goal (Harder, Better, Faster Stronger).

Broken down my goals are:

- Learn how to fight; I have a high threshold for pain, and can hit hard...but have virtually no technique. That needs to change.

- Improve my SBJ, Vertical Jump, sprint time, and overall endurance. I train Parkour/Free Running/L'Art du Deplacement (whatever you want to call it), so I want to focus in on a small amount of basic techniques and achieve a degree of mastery over them, so that no matter what the obstacle, terrain or circumstance, you can call upon that technique, instead of simply toggling between a myriad of different ones. Similarly, I want to improve on adaptation...but that's a constant goal.

- I want to improve my swimming ability - I'm a strong swimmer because I'm strong, but again technique is required. I want to enroll in a life-savers class so that if I ever happened upon a situation where someone was in trouble I could react...whereas at the moment I would be a hindrance.

Beyond that it's a case of improving my physique to exactly where I want it, travelling more, and in effect doing whatever I want, whenever I want. It's taking time to get there...but I'm on my way.

Unfortunately not so I'm in the middle of sourcing some straps you fit to the rack and adjust so they form a loop that can hold the bar just off of you in the event of fatiguing.

That's a good idea.

Nobody wants a really heavy metal bar in the grid.

My New Years resolution is to break the power a certain someone has over me, as well as continuing to work toward my Daft Punk goal (Harder, Better, Faster Stronger).

Broken down my goals are:

- Learn how to fight; I have a high threshold for pain, and can hit hard...but have virtually no technique. That needs to change.

- Improve my SBJ, Vertical Jump, sprint time, and overall endurance. I train Parkour/Free Running/L'Art du Deplacement (whatever you want to call it), so I want to focus in on a small amount of basic techniques and achieve a degree of mastery over them, so that no matter what the obstacle, terrain or circumstance, you can call upon that technique, instead of simply toggling between a myriad of different ones. Similarly, I want to improve on adaptation...but that's a constant goal.

- I want to improve my swimming ability - I'm a strong swimmer because I'm strong, but again technique is required. I want to enroll in a life-savers class so that if I ever happened upon a situation where someone was in trouble I could react...whereas at the moment I would be a hindrance.

Beyond that it's a case of improving my physique to exactly where I want it, travelling more, and in effect doing whatever I want, whenever I want. It's taking time to get there...but I'm on my way.

OK, so 3 goals.

All need a time limit and the fighting one needs a more specific outcome.

Swimming is a tricky one, I know a swimming coach and swimming faster involves a technique that is a little odd and somewhat counter-intuitive (to me) so you should probably get some lessons.

Rescue courses will focus on first aid, perhaps oxygen first aid if they are particularly good and the particular techniques required to tow a tired or unresponsive person in the water.

I have done the PADI rescue diver course and it was an absolute blast.

Freerunning is one of those things where practising techniques will improve your abilities but there is no real substitute for getting out there.

As I understand it the training you need to do is box jumps and other plyometric exercises to boost your explosive power.

I mentioned this before.  Plyometric exercises can be extremely dangerous, you could tear muscles and tendons or even have a total muscular avulsion - I've had a partial, you don't need that in your life, trust me.

Those types of exercise are always best done under the supervision of an expert.

Fighting.

You need to decide on what you want to achieve, do you want one of the older, more stylised martial arts like karate or something like kickboxing or judo that are more of a sport?

Do you want to be more defensive or aggressive?

Things like Akido have a definite defensive stance and are technical but you won't be throwing a lot of punches, then you have Krav for when you want to go to maximum attack.

If you want to know how to throw a punch properly there really is no substitute for boxing.

Also, what is your desired level of competence?  To be able to measure success we need to have a target.

Depending on the technique you learn there are belts you can aim for, it depends what you want to achieve.

Today I cycled 50k and it was traumatic.

I have neglected my cycling this last month and it was my fault but I wasn't helped by all the flooded roads.

I took a lot longer than I was expecting but I had a pretty serious head wind for a bit that is usually easy and there was mud clogging up everything.

This picture was taken just after I got home.

The whole bottom of those tights are supposed to be orange, not poopy brown - yes, I believe there is some poop mixed in there.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B03yQHlZTBdJaXd5X2RobnFKeGc/edit?usp=sharing

On the plus side the new brake lever/shifter worked flawlessly...

They don't need a time limit; I should have clarified...these goals are for life, not for "must achieve by 'x'" but rather must achieve in order for me to be the best version of myself.

I've been training Parkour/Free Running for 7 years now, and the goal is quite specific. It is only about achieving mastery on a narrow spectrum of techniques, thus as you said, only applicable to that specific training (i.e. Specific Physical Preparedness). I was a gymnast for about 10 years, before the Parkour, so that combined with hard training for quite a while gave me a myriad of different techniques. I then focused on more philosophical aspects of training, as well as pursuing ideals as opposed to quantifiable 'level' based training i.e. I would focus on adapting to obstacles rather than adding inches/centimeters to kong precision distance etc. Now the goal is to breakdown a small number of techniques and be able to use them in any situation, even if it is more efficient to do something else. This constrained training has been proven to improve diversity as it stops stagnation.

To achieve the goal it's just about training...at the moment I'm training 3 nights a week.

The swimming/life-saving is more about lifeguard type training i.e. the specific skill in swimming with someone, how to assess tide/current and be more prepared to respond. Achieving this goal is a matter of enrolling in a class, and putting myself into it with full commitment - take the skills, learn from them and apply to life.

Fighting is purely about learning how to fight, not about mastering a martial art. In other words knowing how to assess an opponent, how to conceal blows, making sure you're guarded, where to strike, how to maximise force in a way that minimises risk. Again this is a lifetime goal, so I figure I'll be flittering about different martial arts taking concepts and ideals, and forming them together into things that work for me. At the moment I'm training with a friend of mine, learning basics from a variety of different styles and from there will decide where to go first.

Ok, my actual phys goal is simple: 9:45 on the run, 70/70 on press ups and sit ups. Currently on about 11 mins for the run and 60/40 on press ups sit ups respectively.

Gonna start running four times a week like I used to. One steady state of 3 miles, one boot of 3 miles, one fartlek and one that I will pick depending on how I feel.

My aim is to have it to 10:30 by end of feb, 10, by mid March. Press ups and sit-ups both up to par by end feb.

Ideally I'd like to get my PFA back to 9 mins, but lets take things one step at a time...

wouldn't bother *fruitcage* about with that tbh  - just get someone to spot you most will say yes

Yeah, so I was up at ten to six this morning and went out for a quick 20k ride, just under an hour.  The wind out here is pretty bad but at least the rain had stopped.

It was so bad here last night that the sound of it on the roof woke me up.  It was at about 03:30hrs to 04:00hrs and I can just about remember hoping it would stop, that would have really tested my resolve.

It did stop and the 20k route has no off road on it so I stayed relatively clean.

According to my program I have to do 45k on Thursday so I'll have to get on the Great God Google and work out a dry route for that based on the flooding on my normal route.

My adapter arrived today so on Saturday I will swap my FD out for the 2012 Force braze-on which has a chain spotter, the braze-on is also useful because it means I have a way of quickly removing the FD and replacing it without having to re-do the calibration (the adapter only has one hole in it so the FD can only go in one place).

Fasting tomorrow and Friday and 55k on Sunday.

My legs were pretty howling for the first couple of clicks this morning but they eased off and I'm feeling good.

We'll see how I feel on Monday eh?

Well, that's my progress update - how are you all getting on?

Does anybody need any help with anything?

Archived