Marijuana - Legalization, trends in the US, UK Law.

DrAlexanderTobacco

Highly disagree with cannabis being legalized . Have lost 2 very good friends to it . One is at the moment receiving mental health day care for drug induced depression / paranoia . Also several years ago a life long friend was killed by a lorry driver who was stoned at the time he ran my mate down and killed him .

As for the criminal network collapsing , I don't think so . They will change to concentrating on pushing to other markets . Ie kids etc or move to supplying other illegal drugs to earn a living . As they do at present . They already have the networks in place already and very few dealers only sell one type of drug . Most who supply can ibis also push cocaine , amphetamins , speed , and ecstasy . All legalization will do is concentrate criminals efforts to sell other more dangerous drugs to people .

I think that more effort should be made by authorities to educate and deter people from taking drugs . And celebrities / role models should be punished and imprisoned / fined heAvily if caught using them . Kate moss , Amy whine house , docherty and several others have almost made drugs acceptable for our kids . Not right at all .

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Humans and other animals have been taking things to alter their being since the dawn of time. Either way some people will always want to take things to change their state, dangerous or not .Nothing will ever change that much whatever rules governments create.

As for the driving case . I think laws / tests should be mandatory every day for anyone operating commercial vehicles / heavy machinery or in in a position of looking after other people's safety .or driving . Zero levels on alcohol or any drug impediment . Should be enforced . London transport did this many years ago for tube drivers / station supervisors .as did all the airlines The same should apply to buses , hgv , company vehicles or plant machinery etc . The tests are available as london transport proved by dismissing any staff who failed them .

As for our drinking laws . Even though alcohol is legal it does not stop untested black market stuff finding its way into our clubs , shops and homes . Taxation yet again creates a more dangerous criminal problem . As ethanol and god knows what else has been found to be used for illegal / clone vodka, gin and other spirits . Why do people buy this . Simple !!! Its cheap

The same applies to the drug world . Cocaine being the best examples . Cut by the supplier , cut by the middlemen , cut by the dealers and then cut again by the peddlers . Everything from baby powder , vim , Ajax , too thing powders . Are put into it . What could possibly go wrong ???

Banning never works. It just creates more wealth for the criminally minded. Let people take what they want, but not when driving etc (you know common sense stuff). Make sure there is warnings about the dangers of taking drugs and have special classes in schools.

Yeah, "look at what happened to little Johnny when he rolled it wrong". Not an actual term of classes, just a small module that is expanded upon year on year. Drinking heavily and eating heavily can be just as bad as being a heavy drug user. I believe everyone can make mistakes and should be given help when they need it.

Education can come from anyone, but is always best from people who have experienced it first hand. Treat it seriously and with respect.

It's bizarre we have a retarded approach to drug awareness and education.  I remember it all being scare stories e.t.c. Especially considering how in depth sex education is now and how it's started to be taught at such a young age.  I bet there's children in middle school right now with a better understanding of the vulva than some adults.

If weed gets legalised everyone's product will have to conform to European trading standards rules on product quality , packaging ,warnings etc etc and then be taxed .also shops retailers will have to be licenced People will still buy the illegal cheap stuff .

But less people, surely?

Furthermore - You have to consider that the cheap stuff is, well, cheap. It'll be homegrown, won't be a specific strain. Right now 90% of people buying weed will judge it based on whether it's better or worse than the previous bag they got from whichever dealer.

In Colorado now, people can walk into a shop and say "I'd like an ounce of Sour Diesel please", or opt for OG Kush instead, Blue Dream... They can pick the strain they prefer. People will use dealers still, sure, but there'll still be plenty of people who are happy to pay the premium for safe, quality product.

Edit: It's also going to stop new smokers from going down the illegal route. It provides an alternative.

Exactly nothing would be that different . But decriminalising would give the police more time to concentrate on serious crime rather than waste their time on pot heads . Also you can't blame pot for your reasons for keeping it illegal as its down to the individuals actions not pot , and more to the point these happened while its illegal . Also assuming that people who take pot must have something wrong with their life and don't do things with their life is pretty ignorant

With the relaxed home grow laws in Colorado, from what I have read, a lot of the black market sales are from enthusiasts growing and then selling to close circles of friends. This way they keep the lower prices, know exactly what they're buying and the quality.  But there will always be the people that don't know growers and don't want to scope out some shady, random dealer so it is easy and convenient to buy from a legit place.  It's win, win for the government really.  More money for them, less money into the hardcore criminal element.

It still stands that weed is far less damaging to people than alcohol and cigarettes. If you want weed banned, you should want the other two banned even more.

Smoking Dosnt cause mental health issues , drinking and skunk do . None are particularly healthy , all being addictive drugs .

Alcoholism and drug addiction destroy more people's / family's lives than anything else .

As the old saying goes .

Goverments don't want people being addicted to drugs ""

"They want you addicted to their drugs "

neither drinking or smoking weed cause mental health issues. They have just been linked to making people with mental health issues worse or bringing out these issues in people already prone to them. And remember this is already happening while its illegal and nobody is forcing them to take them either. People will do as they wish

....ninjad...

I hope that regardless of people's views here we can all agree on the fact that there's far too little research. With Tobacco, you've got internal studies from the tobacco companies, external studies by independent bodies and the Govts, and we can all safely say "Don't do Tobacco bro, it will *fruitcage* you up".

With Marijuana, you've got a couple of studies carried out with small sample sizes by the few research bodies that are allowed to purchase/grow marijuana. IIRC the current consensus is that marijuana is mostly fine and can exacerbate schizophrenia if someone already has it. But I hope the recent laws in the US mean a greater amount of research, as we can further explore the effects.

Archived