Passp0rt Renewal

Tommygunn

A renewal from within the UK costs £72.50 but costs about £50.00 more from outside and is a lot more hassle. Hypothetically, if someone was outside the UK and didn't want to pay the higher fee etc then what is to stop them just using a relative's address for the application and for said relative to receive it when the process is completed?

What checks and balances do the Passp0rt Office have in place to cause a problem?

Just renewed mine.

Got the application in nice and early as they had a "6 month backlog" and I'm going on holiday next year. Lo and behold it's processed and the money is taken in 3 weeks, which was the week before the GZ weekender. Typical of my luck tbh. :(

As far as I can tell, there aren't any checks that they make that you actually live there, it didn't even require a signature on delivery. Though there may well be a few that they don't tell you about.

I have been told (don't quite on this) that they are easily scannable when being sent abroad so unless you are physically there to pick it up and take it back with you it can't be posted.

Typical 'fradualent' things are mentioned and I can see why they do it aside from money reasons.

Best bet would be to get it paid for, picked up when you are over in the UK (using your present one to get in of course) and then taking it back with you as it will be in your possesion and submitted on return which is fine.

'FireKnife'

Fireknife,

Have they got some sort of radioactive marker within the pages?

In any case, what business is it of anybody's if I want to send my passport to somewhere on its lonesome in a padded envelope or the like. For example, if I have two passports, one a UK and one Smurf, and I travelled with both but on my return journey forgot my UK passport then why shouldn't I have that sent back to me with Royal Mail Recorded?

Would tin foil fix the problem?

Well, it might have some RFID chip there, not sure on UK passports.

As for what does it matter? Well, you know, passport is your government's affidavit that yes, you are who you say you are and you are a subject of Her Majesty. They kinda like to not be represented by, say, an IRA or ISIS nutjob pretending to be you while blowing up a kindergarten...

I hate to sound rude Tommygunn but it is a highly valued and valid Government document that is worth a lot of money in the wrong hands. They would see any opportunity to remove it from the country without it being in your own hands as a breach if they find out it is being sent via post.

I am only speaking from working in a paper factory that made the paper used in passports for various Middle Eastern countires (as it is easier to make passports out of the country they are meant for) and we were told of the various UK and worldwide systems used too as examples.

Basically it is not worth the risk and the potential issues. If you happen to be in the UK and can pick it up while travelling under theold passport that should be ok, but don't send it whatever you do. It is like gambling with tax except here you could face prosecution instead of just a £13 Parcel Force ransom fee.

Not trying to scare, more inform. It would be nice if the Passport office didn't charge an extra £50 but that might be necessary to pay for various costs and visas to live / work in other countries. Not sure but then I have never looked in to it and only really know the production side and the materials used / how they work. The costs and potential prosecution are only from reference and may not be 100% true.

'FireKnife'

Well I decided to do it the proper way and in actual fact I was wrong on the overseas price, it is actually only £102.86 and it was easy enough.

My declaration, 2x photos and old passport have to be sent to HM Passport Office, Durham.

Tom.

Given the apparent recent surge of fanatical British fighters control over passports might become even tighter (and therefore looking after them more important).

Ironically I've misplaced mine, I'm about 80% certain it is at my father's as its not in the room I currently inhabit. I'm sort of torn about reporting it missing though as I don't fancy spending a fortune on renewal.

Tip for anyone who's got to renew in the future - Use the post office. They've got a check-and-send service which, whilst £8 extra, takes a couple of weeks off the entire process. Any applications from a post office go to a specific passport office and get fast-tracked through.

I would if they hadn't lost my V5C (sent fully tracked) or have been stuck behind people in line at the local post office being basically politely told they are thick as they try and fill in one of those forms.

'FireKnife'

"There's no passport backlog"

They really are the most incompetent people. All the *suitcase* you go through at an airport yet 250,000 illegal immigrants find their way in a year!!

Yes but the illegals don't need a passport, if they did (well they wouldn't be illegal) they wouldn't bother if this was what they got.

Though maybe this is their way to drive up internal UK tourism, make it too difficult to go abroad :P.

'FireKnife'

I think the point is that immigration is policed by UKBF (or whatever they're called these days) while the passport office issue and print the passports. Blaming the passport office for illegal immigrants is like blaming the guy who printed the menus for getting a *suitcase* meal from your local takeaway

Archived