Motorbike advice

Habakure

Okay, after some advice regarding this bike:- Honda Varadero. Basically, it's for a friend who has tried out a couple of 125cc bikes and this him was recommend as the rest were causing him discomfort (long legs).

So, is this the best bike to get (regarding it's spec and the fact he's new to motorbikes)?

Either the Varadero, or the CBF125 would be good for a long legged mac daddy.

I used to have a CBF125, and found it an easy to ride, comfortable bike, and I am 6'2". I got it after going to look at the CBR125, and finding it like a monkey bike when I sat on it.

The CBF is also nice and cheap to repair, and insanely cheap to run.

Only thing I will say though is it's not a racy style bike, so the tyre profile doesn't lend itself to being thrown around. It will corner well, but won't handle any knee down attempts.

I asked around about leg positions on 350-650 bikes when I went to my full catA, and was told the CB500 has a straight leg position.

It doesn't.

It has a nice sporty position.... that I hate.

But I'm stuck with the bike now because I can't afford to be buying and selling a heap of bikes until I find the right one.

My point is that advice like this is subject to YMMV, and given his height, he really should go into a dealer and sit on some bikes. See what fits his legs.

Well, the bike that he couldn't corner (well) with during the exam (he had to swap to a 500cc for part of the test) had the same frame as the CBF125, so he's discounted that. Always appreciate the input though. He's goin to a dealership this sat, so fingers crossed he finds one that suits his legs.

I rode a Varadero as my only transport for about a year and a half.

I'm 6'4" and never had any issues. I did quite a few long rides and its still going strong 7 years later with my brother in London. They are cheap to run and good fun to ride, I would definitly recommend one.

As others have said, best option would be to go to a dealership and through your leg over a few different style and see which fits best.

Later daze

Lee

• 2 weeks later...

I love bikes and athough the lists above are great I'd seriously consider an older Honda NSR125. One they're cheap as chips and hold resale value, two they'll punch past highway speeds (top is 88mph) and as a tall guy 6'2" one of my female friends had one and I could ride it without issue. I also make this suggestion on the basis they are cheap to fix, really really simple mechanically and he WILL want more power soon so....

Just my 2cents though :)

I love bikes and athough the lists above are great I'd seriously consider an older Honda NSR125. One they're cheap as chips and hold resale value, two they'll punch past highway speeds (top is 88mph) and as a tall guy 6'2" one of my female friends had one and I could ride it without issue. I also make this suggestion on the basis they are cheap to fix, really really simple mechanically and he WILL want more power soon so....

Just my 2cents though :)

88mph? Not without de-restricting it. Which you can't legally do on a CBT as the A1 (light motorcycle, CBT) license terms stipulate maximum power output as well as maximum engine size.

88mph? Not without de-restricting it. Which you can't legally do on a CBT as the A1 (light motorcycle, CBT) license terms stipulate maximum power output as well as maximum engine size.

Correct but being that it is just a restrictor in the inlet or exhaust pending the year of build (a simple flange) its easy to do and lets face it we all would and or have and yes the max engine size on CBT is 125. Plus even the newer 125's are able to be deresticted and add high flow exhausts, 1 up 1 down on the spokets for higher acceleration or top speed etc etc.. Not quitet the options of an R1 B)  but they're still there!

Either or, the NSR is definately what I would suggest hands down!

Correct but being that it is just a restrictor in the inlet or exhaust pending the year of build (a simple flange) its easy to do and lets face it we all would and or have and yes the max engine size on CBT is 125. Plus even the newer 125's are able to be deresticted and add high flow exhausts, 1 up 1 down on the spokets for higher acceleration or top speed etc etc.. Not quitet the options of an R1 B)  but they're still there!

Either or, the NSR is definately what I would suggest hands down!

Just because you can, doesn't make it any more legal as you are changing the power output of the engine. 

A lot of insurance underwriters these days are asking their approved garages to check for the correct placement of restrictors on 125s before paying out after an accident. If it's been illegally derestricted your insurance is invalidated, you don't get paid and you could even be charged with an IN10 (driving without proper insurance).

Which is a total of 6 points on a licence for 3 years but this does not take away from it being my opinion as answer to said question.

Parking on double yellows is illegal, smoking less that what maybe 50ft frpm a building is illegal not to mention under age drinking, a pasttime which 99% of us can lay stake too!!

Irrespectively the NSR pound for pound and power for power even unrestricted beats most modern bikes

Yes, and 6 points is enough to lose your license on a provisional, which will have a massive effect on future insurance prices, the ability to commute and even your job if you ever have to drive a company vehicle in the future.

Totally worth it for an extra 15mph.  :rolleyes:

Obviously you're going to keep pushing your opinion that breaking the law is the cool guy thing to do, so I'll leave it at that.

There's alway one ***roll eyes*** but everyone is allowed their own opinion which is perfectly fine Scorch. 

I have not and will not condone breaking the law in anyway but with your keyboard as your warrior weapon feel free to make your allegations. I do however have toa dmit these are the things that happen and list them out as fact. I will hold my hand out to you for a telling off though as I did park on a double yellow line the other day so I could jusmp out and post a letter :fear2:  :fear2:  :fear2:  :fear2:  :fear2:

But thank you for calling me a cool guy ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, and 6 points is enough to lose your license on a provisional, which will have a massive effect on future insurance prices, the ability to commute and even your job if you ever have to drive a company vehicle in the future.

Totally worth it for an extra 15mph.; :rolleyes:

Obviously you're going to keep pushing your opinion that breaking the law is the cool guy thing to do, so I'll leave it at that.

I think it highlights how ridiculous motoring laws are. Not only that but they have become even worse in recent years for motorcycles and prior to that it was our insurance industry.

I think it highlights how ridiculous motoring laws are. Not only that but they have become even worse in recent years for motorcycles and prior to that it was our insurance industry.

You don't need to tell me fella, I not long ago worked in motorcycle insurance. ;)

That, and this years debacle of being asked to pay £90 extra +fees for the 3 remaining months of my policy just because I had the audacity to move to a nicer area with a garage and stopped parking my bike on the street. So that policy got cancelled, and a new one elsewhere taken out for £66 for a whole year.

Eh? My old Suzuki RG125 Gamma used to get over 80 odd easily, and wasn't fiddled with...?

This is nearly 20 years ago though... Wow, I just made myself feel really old :(

20 years ago, on top of the fact you weigh about the same as the average toddler. ;)

Archived