Halo MA5 Assault Rifle - Testing the water

bankz5152

Oh yes. Mainly because it is the MA5-D rendered from Halo 4. Where as the other was from Halo CE. 

Also price I mentioned before they where all silly money, this one was £180 express shipped & insured. So worked out very reasonable. The others of this quality where +£400! Also this one is hollow! :D 

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

So it has arrived!! It is so pretty I dont actually want to cut it up! I didnt realise but its actually come from a chap who builds many of the props and replicas for Microsoft for launch events etc! So thats pretty cool.

20150313_115959_zps0wm5fil9.jpg

While it does look awesome as all hell! It has been filled with quite a dense foam which has made this project 10x harder at least. Only way I can think of a the moment is to get it under a band saw with a super fine, super thing blade and slice it into two halves. Luckily my engineer friend has such tools, though it ill be some time before I can get access to it. 

Either way heres a pic showing the mag position and an MP5 bolt for reference/scale. I plan to use a PDW bolt which I think has just enough space to actually fit! Again using my engineer friends expertise, tools and know how we are going to attempt to design and 3D our own internal mounts/rails etc. Using a WE PDW bolt, trigger group, recoil system and hop/barrel. While I know 3D printing won't be the most robust it is the only real option, further down the line we will look into reinforcing it using some metal slides etc.. Hopefully with any luck this may actually be almost skirmishable. 

IMG-20150313-WA0005_zpshhoiel9t.jpeg

(sorry but Photobuckets new update has made it even . Can't rotate.)

Extremly short. Literally just enough space to allow it to travel! It may not have bolt lock but who cares? It will be a gas MA5.

Suck it Land Warrior.

Ive added an extra 'difficulty' to this project aswell. Including all parts and labour it must come it at less than £600. Purely to off Land Warrior.

So far -

MA5 Replica - £230.00

on my phone, my spelling will suck

Plan is to have 1 mag working and looking as it should. (Ill put some pics up of the MA5 mag soon)

The rest will be just standard WE M4 mags. Which from prelim lineing up/looking the mag wil be almost hidden.

Outside is at least 2mm resin filled with very dense foam.

Hmm hot wire is interesting...

Would be very worried that the hot wire could do too much damage..

Also anyone following this own a WE PDW? I need bolt measurements if no one minds :)

• 2 months later...

Has there been any recent work done on this project? 

Op, if you are having difficulty breaking the thing up, or am having issues getting your feeding system worked out, why not take a look at these threads?: 

1. a progress thread on a real steel Ma5b. It seems to have been abandoned, however there are still a few renders in there that could help as an inspiration.

http://www.405th.com/showthread.php?t=41141&highlight=assault+rifle

2. an other progress thread, of a wooden prop. It is for the battle rifle, so not exactly the assault rifle, but some of the remaining images could be useful in deciding how to cut your cast prop up. 

http://www.405th.com/showthread.php?t=14366

Please don't cut that thing down the middle... It seems like a good way to waste a nice replica. 

I'm a new poster, so if there are rules about linking to another forum, just let me know. 

Only work I have done is some.filling and cleaning up. Still looking for a way to split it neatly and nicely without too much damage. Until I do I wont be doing anything, would rather not ruin a £250 prop!

Also cash is low due to focusing on my car for the past few months...

Thanks for the threads though! I shall have a read!

• 4 weeks later...

So I have had an idea. Since I only need access to the rear half it makes every thing much easier.

I will cut and split the body from infront of the trigger and back, reducing potential failures/damage.

Im thinking I could use a fine dremel saw and cut it open, then considering its filled with foam use a foam cutter!

What is also great is there are small indents which will provide the perfect camo for some nice countersunk socket heads! Got 3 on the grip, 2 above the trigger, 6 on the rest!

Also just picked up a WE KeltTec PLR and the internals are miniscule. Small enough to fit in the stock and most of all narrow enough.

So at least there is a drop of progress...

Next big one is to work out is the trigger mech...

Good news however in regard to the PLR due to its mad design I should be able to have the cocking lever where it should be on the MA5, as well as the ejection port. Hop adjustment is going to me a nightmare. However the PLR has really nice ROF and good recoil!

Mag release may be tough as well, but do able.

What does worry me a tad is the width of the WE VN mags, much wider than th MA5 mags. So much of the MA5 mag well will have to be removed, potentially weakening it...

As I said slow going but its getting there....

To sum up -

Base gun - Found!

Splitting idea - Found!

Removal/Maintenence - Found!

Im excited!!

• 4 weeks later...

Archived