KJW MEU, 1911. Hammer drags against loading nozzle.

Lone_Bullet

Hi.

I noticed my hammer drags along the underside of the cylinder/loading nozzle. 

Both my KJWorks MEU and 1911 do so, resulting in a sluggish return of said part. 

I experience no noticeable performance loss from it, but I have replaced the typical red loading nozzle 3 times now over 4 years of ownership.

The CO2 makes it burst/crack, but perhaps the drag lines of the hammer weaken it? 

Is this known and normal? Does TM suffer from the same "fault"?

I could fix it by adding material to the cam on the hammer thus positioning the hammer 1mm further down but I don't have the skill to do so reliably.

Could a nova ( or so.. ) hammer fix this?

Any comment? 

Sounds like a misalignment of the hammer or sear. On every 1911 I've worked on the hammer is held in the cocked position at a level where it doesn't touch the cylinder, it should only touch the raised bump on the BBU, raised to ensure that it cocks properly.

Wolfgeorge: Leafsping is installed fine, oddly enough. Reinstalled it just to be sure on both pistols. Still persists.

Vilerk: Both are pot metal. But I definitely thought of the same thing. It's why I thought of adding material.

ED-SKaR: Perhaps KJW's tolerances are off then, since both have it and had it from the day I got them ( all broken nozzles have the drag marks )

But I just thought of something: Perhaps the 'ramp' on the BBU should sling the hammer down for a long enough time to the hammer doesn't touch the nozzle/cylinder but the uprated hammerspring for CO2 prevents this for the KJW?

Korppi, do you have a stock TM or WE hammer spring? I can't really test my theory. Problem is, the hammersping pressure could possibly not have the tension to open a CO2 rated mag valve.

RC: checking now. potmetal alignment holes could have worn out.

[Edit] Holes and pins seem fine with a minimal but normal wear.

You could try sanding down the part of the hammer that touches the cylinder, although you might end up wit a gun that doesn't cock properly and slamfires if you mess it up...

Or you could throw it away and get yourself a TM...

But I just thought of something: Perhaps the 'ramp' on the BBU should sling the hammer down for a long enough time to the hammer doesn't touch the nozzle/cylinder...

That's not a thing.

Korppi, do you have a stock TM or WE hammer spring? I can't really test my theory. Problem is, the hammersping pressure could possibly not have the tension to open a CO2 rated mag valve.

I mean mine are both KJW. An older Blue nozzle 1911 and a KP07.

• 4 months later...

UPDATE: I have a PDI 1911 hammer and hammer sear in the mail, since I wasn't aware HiCapa hammer and hammer sears don't fit 1911's. 

While for the moment the MEU shoots just fine, it's still dragging the hammer against the BBU/nozzle. I hope these new steel sears fin it, since after inspection I noticed wear on both original parts.

PDI is also TM spec, not KWJ spec. So I hope that since TM don't have a dragging hammer, TM spec parts might cure mt KJW.

RenegadeCow: I only now noticed you yellow 'hint' ^^. You funny man you. I love TM, but TM isn't built for CO2 and we both now TM 1911's are a big no-no in winter.

That's my reason for going KJW. ;)

I have TM pistols and also suffer from dragging hammer on 1 of my Hi-Capa 4.3 frames. Sear and leaf spring aren't misaligned. And not worn. What I see as the problem is the sear and hammer locking tabs isn't locking the hammer far enough back. Bending the leaf spring on the sear isn't going to move the locking position of the hammer.

The issue though is only on one 4.3 frame with stock hammer, but not on another 4.3 frame with a 5.1 hammer. So the hammer is likely the culprit in my case.

Solution would probably be to change the sear and more likely, the hammer with a third party one.

I love TM, but TM isn't built for CO2 and we both now TM 1911's are a big no-no in winter.

That's my reason for going KJW. ;)

My TM runs at -18°c (air temp) with green gas, I don't see the need for CO2.

Point is that I've checked all my 1911s (3 1911 1 hicappa, one parts gun) and with the exception of the frankensteinian parts gun they all hold the hammer clear of the nozzle as the slide cycles. The parts gun sear has been modified (poorly) and that's why it sits higher on that one, and rubs the nozzle.

You need a well made hammer and sear set that match. The important part is that they match, so that they hold the hammer in the right place, there is only a few mm of play between the lowest point the cocking bur pushes the hammer down to and the height of the nozzle inside the BBU.

Archived