Best airsoft silencer?

bjorn

Baffle design works, I would say it's different with, just foam.

Signature reduction performance-wise, foam is better, at least on my air cocking rifle system, which almost always has too high cylinder-barrel volume ratio.

I let that baffles stay because:

They work decent enough for my purpose.

Virtually indestructible against baffle strike.

They're cool, I can poke them out and show my friends.

It's fun making them.

They cost me 20-ish USD, I feel silly for not using them unless they're total junk.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Has anyone identified the best materials to use? I have been using this stuff http://www.hobbycraft.co.uk/black-fab-foam-sheet-a4/565432-1000 "Fab Foam" sheet for the washers and then any open cell foam I can find for the rings. I have been using a compass with a special cutting attachment to make the washers. I am not sure that these are the best materials. I still have to get round to testing with my sound meter to get some figures. However I now have access to a laser cutter and have been considering laser cutting foam. There are concerns about the toxicity of fumes though. Also if it were upholstery foam the fire retardants might make life tricky. I have been trying to find acoustic felt in something like 10mm to 1/2" (12.7mm) thickness to see if that works but havent found a source yet. 

Hmm acoustic felt, didn't know what that thing called until now.

Looks like what LayLax put in their silencers.

http://www.shop-laylax.com/SHOP/4582109582992.html

http://www.shop-laylax.com/SHOP/4582109582541.html

As a side note that white stuff looks like filters for fish tanks.

That's a couple of useful links. Thanks for sharing them :) some useful ideas for making spacers.  The white material does indeed look like a standard open filter material like this sort of thing http://www.airclean.co.uk/1720_Synthetic_Filter_Medias.htm. Not sure how effective it would be at absorbing sound.

Many many years ago I was playing with using motorcycle silencer wadding in a silencer for paintball markers. It was a fibre glass wool /fibre material but needed to be wrapped a round an aluminium mesh to stop it being blown out / interfering with the flight of the paintball through the silencer. 

I'd really like to know what the material of the grey inner tube is? It doesn't look hugely porous.

This is the kind of acoustic felt material I am trying to source https://www.filzfelt.com/index.php?/shop/product/10mm-wool-design-felt but at £120 per linear meter / $195 per linear yard / €154 per linear meter it is a bit much for just a trial / test. Will keep looking.....

Those LayLax silencers are freaking expensive, never tried shooting/shot at via them, only saw a few in person like 10 years ago, took apart and look at the material.

That wool felt stuff's picture does look like what I remember from LayLax's, if they're the same thing that would explain why they're so expensive, look at that seamless straw shaped felt, how does one make that?

Edit: Oh, someone is still selling the insert locally, gotta go and take a look.

I tried doing a simple design pic of what i meant:

suppressordesigns2.jpg

Volume is open space.

Cut is what the red discs are doing.

Absorb is what the foam areas are doing.

The blue lining is thin L shaped blue foam discs (hard to do).

I believe this Principe from jal3 his the most promise full :)  

• 5 months later...

Depends. Long barreled GBBRs or just gas guns in general don't have much of a muzzle pop. But short ones can be really loud to the point of being painful to the ears like the KWA MP9. My WE P90 isn't terribly loud, but is made a lot quieter even with a small suppressor thanks to the bolt being insulated by the body.

• 9 months later...

Not yet. I managed to get some 300mm x 300mm x 12mm thick felt from Australia via Ebay. I haven't had a chance yet but I am hoping to see if my local Hackspace's laser cutter is ok with cutting it. Otherwise the guys on the FB Sliverback SRS group and the SOCOM Mk23 group have discovered Percussion Cymbal damping pads are round discs with an approx 6-7mm hole through them and are made from acoustic felt. Available cheaply from your local Drum shop. I have yet to get any to try but they sound like they might be worth a look....

This has been done for a while, it failed so I put it away and let it collect dust.

Got the AngryGun power up silencer second handed, love the silencer for the looks but freaking hate the inner barrel extension so I mess with it.

Same K baffle design from my earlier attempt, like I said the CAD model is parametric so I could punch in new numbers and it will transform automatically.

ooU8xNb.jpg

Printed in PLA (same stuff as bio BBs)KHgrJt8.jpg

Noise reduction works quite well, didn't compare to anything else.

It failed because the whole thing was not rigid enough, I would blame the QD joint for this.

The very slight wobble caused baffle strike everywhere, including the exit hole of the silencer, which was only about 8.5mm, same as the OD of the inner barrel extension.

I even brought it to work and drill out the cap on a lathe, reprinted baffles with larger ID, put the tension spring back inside to protect the baffles, it didn't break the baffles this time but the BBs still fly everywhere :(

I use foam rings and neoprene washers in conjunction with an initial expansion chamber of empty space.

The neoprene washers came from eBay, the seller stocked different outer and inner diameters, so I was able to get a perfect fit for my silencer.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived