AEG ARs with Aluminium receivers

TheFull9

where am?

I know of the G&P, but that's it as far as I'm aware.  Not sure if the varpourware Airsoft Systems was meant to have them but I'll believe they exist when I see them next to an 'Add to Cart' button.Obviously there's the Inokatsu GBBRs and a few others that use alu over pot metal and various receiver options for the TW platforms etc, but I don't want a WA system gas gun and I've zero interest in paying for a Systema given the materials used in the stock receivers.

So, anyone know of any others?  I'm strongly considering the G&P right now because I'm sick of worrying that I'm going to break a hard to obtain receiver while removing a rail that's been put on at a factory with at least 200 N/m too much extra torque that's entirely unnecessary in an airsoft gun.  Other reasons too, but generally I just don't personally like the 'hub' of my builds being made of pot metal.  In many cases it's unavoidable as that is what almost all companies use, but I'd like at least 1 AEG in my collection that's a cut above that norm.

Also now that ICS, G&P and VFC are all now releasing ARs with (imho) horrible fictional trades, it's getting harder and harder to find a base gun that I actually want to build on and the pickings are really slim at this point.  For me the priority when buying a rifle is that the receivers look good and are well made, preferably with half decent internals; those are the bits I don't enjoy working on and don't want to have to change.  The front ends and other gubbins that attach to the main body are the bits I like to customise myself.

Are G&P receivers aluminum? A colleague of mine had one and the area that held the trigger guard completely snapped off. I'm certainly no expert, but it didn't look like it was made of aluminum. It was an M653 and the ad claimed it was "aluminum diecast"...it sort of crumbled like dust and appeared very brittle.

ZEKE also makes aluminum M4/M16 kits (unfortunately not complete AEG), but I don't see them often outside of Japan. I sometimes see them pop up on the big web sites like Redwolf, AS Global etc so they are not impossible to find. They're not that expensive and they claim they are some type of aluminum.

From what I can tell, most high end ARs have aluminum receivers (KWA, VFC, Krytac, G&G, G&P) but like other things, there are lots of different grades of aluminum (and some of them do use an alloy of mostly aluminum and some zinc like KWA) and different ways to make them.

You're looking for something either CNC'd from billit or forged rather than precision cast. Which, iirc, are only available from the high end G&Ps and the JP bodies from madbull.

But you may be able to get one custom made by ProG4 right?

Are G&P receivers aluminum? A colleague of mine had one and the area that held the trigger guard completely snapped off. I'm certainly no expert, but it didn't look like it was made of aluminum. It was an M653 and the ad claimed it was "aluminum diecast"...it sort of crumbled like dust and appeared very brittle.

ZEKE also makes aluminum M4/M16 kits (unfortunately not complete AEG), but I don't see them often outside of Japan. I sometimes see them pop up on the big web sites like Redwolf, AS Global etc so they are not impossible to find. They're not that expensive and they claim they are some type of aluminum.

Sorry, should've been clearer.  I believe G&P are standard cast pot metal (from the few I've seen break I'm pretty confident of that) but they've made 'CNC' aluminium receiver sets as well as a higher grade complete rifle that costs about 3x as much as one of their standard line (has a steel barrel and gas block among other bits to go along with the nicer recievers).

I shall have a look for ZEKE though, I'd rather a complete gun but the more options the better.

You're looking for something either CNC'd from billit or forged rather than precision cast. Which, iirc, are only available from the high end G&Ps and the JP bodies from madbull.

But you may be able to get one custom made by ProG4 right?

Those JP bodies are pretty ancient in design if I remember right?  Never heard of ProG4 before in that context, their site only shows Hi-Capa parts, but I'll do some digging.

have your tried the LCT and Lonex aegs?

Cannot say I have, never really looked at Lonex at all.  The only LCT ARs I've seen online were fairly cheap (in the context); pretty average mid-range sort of price.  I got the impression their AK line was the one with the nice materials whereas their M4s were much more standard fare, but I'll double check.

Surprisingly A&K upper receivers are aluminum, while their lower receivers are still pot metal.  Not too bad of a finish compared to other ACM ARs.

That is definitely surprising, especially at their prices.

What happened to Avalon?  They were quite high end weren't they?  Den have the MK18 MOD 0 in stock for $500.

They're VFC I believe, certainly seem that way.  I bought 2 of their 14.5" BCM guns a while back as it was pretty evident they weren't making a lot of them and the supply was going to run out; WGC have certainly been out of stock for a while last I checked.  Took an age to get a package that big through customs (they always seem to go by size when being awkward) but it was worth it in the long run, pretty darn nice as AEGs go externally, especially with the trades they had and the little details like the anti-rotation pins, BAD-*albatross* selectors and PTS bits.  But yeah, fairly certain those supplies have run out and from spending some time working on and handling them I think they were standard 'alloy' receivers, though nice ones granted.

I have never even heard of - let alone seen - a forged AEG body. Unless it was for a PTW, it's basically an impossibility unless someone was prepared to spend tens (hundreds?) of thousands of dollars to forge special AEG-sized blanks; AFAIK, AEG receivers are wider than the RS forgings used by high-end GBBRs and the so-far-as-I-know-never-even-got-released $3k ZShot PTW.

That said, I will take this opportunity to yet again bemoan the lack of high-quality AEG receivers on the market. It is a crying shame that PRIME et al make such a wide variety of billet-machined receivers for the stagnant PTW platform and yet virtually nothing for regular AEGs, despite the latter outselling the former by literal tens of orders of magnitude and fathering progressively more advanced alternative platforms.

I believe G&P are standard cast pot metal (from the few I've seen break I'm pretty confident of that) but they've made 'CNC' aluminium receiver sets as well as a higher grade complete rifle that costs about 3x as much as one of their standard line (has a steel barrel and gas block among other bits to go along with the nicer recievers).

There's one 'Premium' gun on G&P's site right now (allegedly in stock at UNCo.) but it doesn't say it's got a CNC body. I note that the entire gun is less than the $560 WGC originally wanted for the G&P CNC'd MagPul receivers, so my guess is that the Premium M4A1 doesn't have a CNC receiver.

Where are RealSword when you need them most, eh?

the JP madbull bodies are standard CA/VFC/G&P spec (for internals, buffer tubes and receiver threading. but i think the JP uppers only fit on the JP lowers). my only issue with them is the sharp corners on the front of the lower receiver.

I have never even heard of - let alone seen - a forged AEG body. Unless it was for a PTW, it's basically an impossibility unless someone was prepared to spend tens (hundreds?) of thousands of dollars to forge special AEG-sized blanks; AFAIK, AEG receivers are wider than the RS forgings used by high-end GBBRs and the so-far-as-I-know-never-even-got-released $3k ZShot PTW.

That said, I will take this opportunity to yet again bemoan the lack of high-quality AEG receivers on the market. It is a crying shame that PRIME et al make such a wide variety of billet-machined receivers for the stagnant PTW platform and yet virtually nothing for regular AEGs, despite the latter outselling the former by literal tens of orders of magnitude and fathering progressively more advanced alternative platforms.

There's one 'Premium' gun on G&P's site right now (allegedly in stock at UNCo.) but it doesn't say it's got a CNC body. I note that the entire gun is less than the $560 WGC originally wanted for the G&P CNC'd MagPul receivers, so my guess is that the Premium M4A1 doesn't have a CNC receiver.

i mostly meant CNC'd as i know forged AEG receivers are unicorns if they ever existed. just a comment on what he'd be looking for since most AEG uppers are aluminum and the problem doesn't necessarily lie in the alloy of the receiver.

If they'd stuck with the Colt-style receiver, I would have bought one. Unfortunately the item that actually went up for sale (via Echigoya, not that it has ever been in stock there) is a VLTOR MUR-1-styled thing:

CIMG2152.jpg

CIMG2151.jpg

Shame, because I'm a big fan of ARS' stuff - I have their buffer tube set - and although it is extremely expensive it's not that overpriced; cheaper than PRIME GBBR receivers, I think.

There's one 'Premium' gun on G&P's site right now (allegedly in stock at UNCo.) but it doesn't say it's got a CNC body. I note that the entire gun is less than the $560 WGC originally wanted for the G&P CNC'd MagPul receivers, so my guess is that the Premium M4A1 doesn't have a CNC receiver.

Where are they in general?  lul

They have made a complete gun based on the Magpul/VLTOR reciever set you linked (with steel barrel and front sight etc), but right now I'm in two minds as to whether said rifle is worth it over just buying the receivers and building from scratch.  Not something I'm planning on doing right now anyway so I've got time to think.

the JP madbull bodies are standard CA/VFC/G&P spec (for internals, buffer tubes and receiver threading. but i think the JP uppers only fit on the JP lowers). my only issue with them is the sharp corners on the front of the lower receiver.

Hm, yeah it's a shame they've never made any other styles.  I seem to recall seeing the JP types being around for at least 6 years or so now and it's not something that appeals to me at all sadly.  They might've been a pretty decent base.

You should check the "trades".

Sometimes that is merely the public face they put online and the images they supply their re-sellers. The publicize a generic image to not make waves.

They're very hip to the fact that Country A) will pay a premium for accurate marks, and that customs at country B) will seize items with those marks and will stock and ship to suit.

The JP rifle bodies are awesome. As horsem4n said though, very sharp. They're designed for the old CA 2 pin receivers which have two small pins sticking out of the back of the upper that mate into two holes on the lower, that's the only difference I've come across so far.  Also VERY hard to get hold of nowadays, I'm after a spare upper receiver for one and it's impossible to find. 

I had a G&P SR16 about 6 years ago and then a G&P M733 a few years back. Comparing the two the receiver on the SR16 seemed to be much better quality than the M733.. I was quite disappointed at the time. 

Archived