HwaSan double barrel shotgun APS shell conversion mod

blobface

Feel free to drop me a PM with some info and I'll have a look and see if that's something I could achieve "remotely". When I made the APS version "hammer" it took a lot of trial and error prints to get it to line up to the shell's valves, so it could be difficult to design a part without having the rest of it for testing! 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A team mate of mine has a Hudson cap shotgun I've modified to utilize the Hwa San 6mm shells, but now he's gotten real interested in the idea of using APS shells in the Hudson, but the hammers differs quite a bit between the Hudson and the Hwa San due to the breach-cock feature of the Hudson. So is there any way of making an APS-shell hammer for the Hudson?

Most gas in shell cartridge has push valves that are flush with the back surface, so it's very easy to activate them, however the APS shells' push valves are inset a few mm, so whatever firing pin / valve pusher you use, they'd have to be modified so that it extends into the shell enough to activate the release. 

Most gas in shell cartridge has push valves that are flush with the back surface, so it's very easy to activate them, however the APS shells' push valves are inset a few mm, so whatever firing pin / valve pusher you use, they'd have to be modified so that it extends into the shell enough to activate the release. 

so you just need to extend the valve knocker, that shouldn't be 'too' hard. Possibly by fixing a piece of shaped plastic to it, or drilling and pinning a metal extension.

Or, you might not need to modify it if it's already fairly long, have you checked?

Not really, you can't just extend it because when you have something that's swinging in an arc, just by making something longer, you'd end up hitting the rim instead of the valve, it's the reason why I had to make a different valve pusher for the APS shell mod, so that the pusher is longer, but the over arm is shorter so it swings correctly. As for the Hudson, I haven't checked, which is why I said I have no experience with the Hudson and until I have a set with me I can't tell if it works as is or how to mod it to work. 

You could bodge it until it sort of works just by extending it and having a curved / shaved off extension so it doesn't bump into the shell's rim, but it wasn't very reliable when I did that so I decided to make a new one that works every time, this should demonstrate it. 

Untitled1.jpg

OK, I get it, that's not the end of the world. Ideas:

1. cut the hole in the breach face to accommodate the larger valve knocker moving upwards.

2. build a spring loaded, in line, button inside the breach face, similar to the firing pins on RS double barrel hammer guns.

3. modify the button on the shell so that the existing valve knocker works with it (that way the gun needs no modification.

I'm not sure what we're discussing, because if it's specifically about the Hudson, then it's just empty speculations because I have never handled one or seen its internal mechanism. If it's about APS shells in general, then as you see in the original post I've already solved it with a new valve pusher, whichever way the Hudson works, the solution would be pretty simple, a slightly redesigned new hammer would be able to reach the release valve, but unless I have a set in hand, I wouldn't be able to do anything, which is what those guys were asking about.

Nice work with hammer aps modification. I use the madbull shells myself but the aps shells do look like fun. I would quite like to have one barrel aps and the other madbull ss6. One for long range shots and the other for close up and personel.

The PPS shells are pure brilliance. CO2, powerfull and VERY loud, also compatible with inner-barrel but dont need one. Not very expensive too considoring how well made they are.

Got six PPS shells now, also finished up my over-under shotgun, turned out... Ugly, as expected. Will post pics later on a new topic.

Pretty sure the pps and madbull shells are identicle apart from the anodising

Can anyone with both shells confirm this as i have the madbull shells and they are ok but if i use anymore than about 250psi co2 with the wa shan shotgun the triggers are very difficult to pull to the extent that the trigger is more likely to break before shooting.  Guarder black gas or less the 250psi co2 will shoot ok with the madbull but with more of a pop than a bang so was wondering if the pps shells are any better with the wa shan shotgun as i also assume they are probably the same.

The shells are a few years old but haven`t seen much use, I don`t think it is an issue with the shells more that the wa shan triggers are made of cheese and can`t take much pressure.

Does anyone else use the wa shan with madbull shells with higher psi co2?  I have used my little gana tan pistol with the madbull shells a few times and it works fine with higher powered co2 with quite a bang but still with a stiff trigger pull.

Well if i'm honest i only realy run my shells on guarder black gas since i stoped working in paintball. The triggers arnt very complex thoe so it wouldnt be too dificult to make a set out of stainless steel plate with nothing more than a dremil, vice, needle files and alot of time watching something uninteresting on tv. And if anyone needs replacement hammers you can buy them from evike. I picked up some spares from them and they are slightly tougher than the originels as they have a sort of strut moulded along one side of the pin.

Ok here is my project gun

It is one original Hudson full stock long barrelled cap gun and one hwasan long barrelled mad max. I always wanted a full stock side by side. I have taken the mechanism from the Hudson which lock back the hammers when I break it open and then fires one barrel per trigger. Now when I got the insert tube and ejector from blobface it fits perfectly to apps cam870 shells which in my opinion is the best option.

The only problem I got now is that the triggers are too short and fat to positively fire the aps shells

My idea is to get a longer firing pin similar to the original ones

eb5d8410e23fa99c724e4535c156745d.jpg

Here they both are

51230c043aa89de3fac0cba36d58c5d6.jpg

Barrels one with insert the other one without

ebb57aeda7f702dcfcdd86f4d634e6e9.jpg

Here are the shells I can use

Hwasan 8mm

Aps cam shells 2pcs

Goblin shells

9bab4a2b9e5bef8bc184d417be6a278e.jpg

f0dfaeb178a08f862a555563eb106a69.jpg

2ec0aa2225cd54a6f61fbcb3f659e364.jpg

The little stubby hammers

https://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/12/22/

f0f9e32d899da7dc2767e97d2c2d2f5a.jpg

Taking it apart

c377c9ae0129f93871287d1c841d6974.jpg

63fba076a3daa55bbff49bf3d4ddc4e9.jpg

04424aaad89c0b88536285e51a2fb460.jpg

131e613b1dd73fddeb19add61bbcfba3.jpg

Inner parts

d3ee69245762cacc8ea6c42777558127.jpg

The Hudson

e6663b228cf293bd7d80f8f929603262.jpg

8ea094b61233d91b2fd6f03485470837.jpg

97ad00ab802c080a3cb0df8e3bfb4cde.jpg

The hammers in comparison

5ff5bf6664a465f21dcf203a1e85df21.jpg

Bodies

619c945465a35843624f4454d464be9a.jpg

Barrels

f8f8b10e98f3f64f7858d657665b6786.jpg

Stocks

fba26a9ba0cc0b53ba02dbe610287d0c.jpg

bc3c3970497b4a7a91f2963c87b6305f.jpg

So the question i'm now asking myself is if your project works could a 3d printed kit be made that would allow all hwasan owners to convert there shotties to sprung loaded cocking hammers? Now i for one would buy that in a heart beat and i'm sure many others would too.

Mr Blobface, the airsoft world needs you. If you made a cnc steel kit with a spring loaded mech and stronger than original triggers with two sets of hammers (one for madbull and one for aps) i would think you could make many people happy and probably some decent cash too. If its a project your willing to take on then sign me up for two sets. I can imagine the cost of all that cad work and milling will quickly add up but you should make it all back once you start flogging them.

I'd be really happy to give it a go! Thanks a lot for the images! However, as I mentioned before, I would really need a set in hand to be able to do that, is that something you might be willing to do? Lend me the Hudson parts so that I'll be able to compose a set based around it for the Hwasan? 

Archived