Concealed carry!

Alias1983

So I live in the land of America and I have my fire arms purchase permit.

Next week I plan on buying a handgun for ccw(obviously I get the ccl).

Now I'm very torn between a g43 or a 19 for appendix carry because reasons.

My friend has a shield and while it's very nice I am a fanboy for glock through and through.

I am trying to decide on holster options, with the 43 I almost want a wallet holster.

cb57fdba2d2c65730c78f8f36e144b5d.jpg

But that's the same issue as with a normal wallet, being left handed and a driver draw is bad because the door gets in the way.

I kinda want the 19 because capacity and no need to carry a spare mag(unless I go to a dangerous area where the extra ammo is needed).

I'm really torn and this is a life changing decision and I'm not a gun/gear where I need everything ever made.

You want to appendix carry with a pocket holster???

Also, depending on your body size and clothing/climate there can a huge difference between concealing a G43 and a G19.

Edit:

If you're lefty and primarily want to carry in a car, consider a cross draw appendix to clear the door or have it mounted under the steering wheel assuming that's legal in your state.

Also, for appendix carry I would recommend a pistol with some kind of exposed hammer (even if it is bobbed) and a decocker.

That way when you re-holster the pistol you can do so with your thumb on the hammer and you will feel it move if the trigger snags.

You will minimise the chances of shooting your own junk off/femoral artery.

The guys I know who use appendix carry for shooting from vehicles swear by this.

The last thing you want is to lose fine motor control in a life or death situation and push the probability towards death.

You want to appendix carry with a pocket holster???

Also, depending on your body size and clothing/climate there can a huge difference between concealing a G43 and a G19.

Edit:

If you're lefty and primarily want to carry in a car, consider a cross draw appendix to clear the door or have it mounted under the steering wheel assuming that's legal in your state.

No it was 2 ideas either an appendix holster or a wallet holster.

As for accidentally shooting my junk off I dont carry with a round chambered. But then again I know where to not put my finger.

No it was 2 ideas either an appendix holster or a wallet holster.

As for accidentally shooting my junk off I dont carry with a round chambered. But then again I know where to not put my finger.

Sure you do.

You can carry with an empty chamber all day, no problem.

What happens is you have to use your weapon one day and you do.

Now the chamber isn't empty.

Now you re-holster it.

Your finger isn't on the trigger but since you are appendix a bunched up bit of t-shirt or boxers gets in the trigger guard and you shoot your junk off.

When people have deadly accidents it is never just a single thing that kills them.

I analyse SCUBA deaths and there is always a string of little, seemingly insignificant events that combine to kill you.

Then you read about the guy and see the amazing string of consequences that led to his death and think to yourself:

"There's no way that could happen to me."

That's exactly what he thought.

What you have to do is examine the worst case scenario for every detail of your carry and eliminate possible points of failure from your routine.

There is a reason I have two completely separate, independent air supplies when I dive.

Two independent dive computers and a pre-planned dive.

Two line cutters (one on each wrist) and a pair of shears.

A spare mask.

Two separate buoyancy devices that can each provide enough lift to float me and each with two separate methods of inflation.

A strobe and a torch even in daylight.

50m of cave line.

Spare bolt snaps.

Spare bungee to repair my BCD under water.

It still isn't enough, I train constantly and I am saving to buy a gas analyser and a global radio distress beacon so I am no longer so dependent on the boat.

Plan for the worst mate, hope for the best.

I got my CCW a year or so ago, but I havnt been able to afford a gun yet.

I plan on a Taurus 709s (ideally the .40 cal version converted to 9mm) because I'm poor and even then cant seem to come up with the cash for a $350 gun.

If I had the money, I'd get a G19. But only for the barrel length really as I live in CT and can't own standard capacity magazines.

I'm also considering j or K frame revolvers.

But I plan to carry FBI IWB style.

In my state, I'll most likely not have to re holster my gun as cops will take it from me after I have to use it.

That or I don't whip it out as I have a duty to retreat if I can.

I havnt thought of everything though

Well I'm a holster maker primarily for concealed carry leather rigs. Lefty won't be that much of an issue drawing in the car or no more than righty. Righty you've got to deal with the seat belt latch being right in front of the rig often times. I recommend against appendix driving since it honestly works best standing and walking and is only fair sitting and driving.

Between the glocks it's a toss up size won't make that much difference between the two in a proper holster. My recommendation would be your strong side carry iwb in a good rig around 7-8 o'clock on the waist. Also don't try to go minimal on the holster. Often guys think a smaller rig will work better and that's seldom the case. A wider platform will spread the weight over a larger area often making it more comfortable for all day carry. Also don't skimp on the belt since it also spreads the weight and makes it more comfortable.

On mags they are a good idea, the number one failure of any semi auto handgun is the magazine. So even if your not concerned about capacity it's a good idea to carry spare mags. Also they help balance the weight on your hips which helps allot for long term comfort while carrying.

Take care

Luke

And your more than welcome to look at my stuff but fair waring I'm around 16ish weeks backlogged right this minute. Www.adamsholsters.com is my site and most of my rigs I build follow what I've found that works for most guys.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

Sure you do.

You can carry with an empty chamber all day, no problem.

What happens is you have to use your weapon one day and you do.

Now the chamber isn't empty.

Now you re-holster it.

Your finger isn't on the trigger but since you are appendix a bunched up bit of t-shirt or boxers gets in the trigger guard and you shoot your junk off.

When people have deadly accidents it is never just a single thing that kills them.

I analyse SCUBA deaths and there is always a string of little, seemingly insignificant events that combine to kill you.

Then you read about the guy and see the amazing string of consequences that led to his death and think to yourself:

"There's no way that could happen to me."

That's exactly what he thought.

What you have to do is examine the worst case scenario for every detail of your carry and eliminate possible points of failure from your routine.

There is a reason I have two completely separate, independent air supplies when I dive.

Two independent dive computers and a pre-planned dive.

Two line cutters (one on each wrist) and a pair of shears.

A spare mask.

Two separate buoyancy devices that can each provide enough lift to float me and each with two separate methods of inflation.

A strobe and a torch even in daylight.

50m of cave line.

Spare bolt snaps.

Spare bungee to repair my BCD under water.

It still isn't enough, I train constantly and I am saving to buy a gas analyser and a global radio distress beacon so I am no longer so dependent on the boat.

Plan for the worst mate, hope for the best.

If I'm afraid of shooting myself then I should not be carrying in the first place.

An external safty is no different then not chambered.

My friend with a shield, he carries unchambred and safty on.

It's all in how you train, if I have to pull first things first, chamber.

If I have to use it I need to clear my weapon and wait for the police and file a report.

Well I'm a holster maker primarily for concealed carry leather rigs. Lefty won't be that much of an issue drawing in the car or no more than righty. Righty you've got to deal with the seat belt latch being right in front of the rig often times. I recommend against appendix driving since it honestly works best standing and walking and is only fair sitting and driving.

Between the glocks it's a toss up size won't make that much difference between the two in a proper holster. My recommendation would be your strong side carry iwb in a good rig around 7-8 o'clock on the waist. Also don't try to go minimal on the holster. Often guys think a smaller rig will work better and that's seldom the case. A wider platform will spread the weight over a larger area often making it more comfortable for all day carry. Also don't skimp on the belt since it also spreads the weight and makes it more comfortable.

On mags they are a good idea, the number one failure of any semi auto handgun is the magazine. So even if your not concerned about capacity it's a good idea to carry spare mags. Also they help balance the weight on your hips which helps allot for long term comfort while carrying.

Take care

Luke

And your more than welcome to look at my stuff but fair waring I'm around 16ish weeks backlogged right this minute. Www.adamsholsters.com is my site and most of my rigs I build follow what I've found that works for most guys.

I'm afraid I can't carry with it on my backside

I'd recommend carrying with a round chambered. Agreed training helps. But do some practice on a timer under stress and I think you'll find that carrying empty chamber isn't worth the time and fine motor skills required in a bad situation. Carry in a proper rig and the chance of an AD or ND is pretty dang low.

Less backside and more behind the hip. More less right where your hip is rather than small of the back(which I don't recommend). Most people that is the spot that conceals the best and is the most comfortable. Not everyone but we're talking almost everyone. But it's dependent on a good holster. Well any position is but allot of guys who come to me wanting a non standard position rig it's because of the holster not the position.

I Highly recommend carrying with a round chambered also.  The people that carry on an empty chamber with safety on (if there is a safety) is not "ideal".

Being highly trained in firearms in the past, I can attest to you being taken out by a "threat" while you fumble to put a round in your chamber.

If it comes to a situation where there is a threat, you must draw efficiently and you must score hits on target quickly.

The 2-3 seconds to draw and disengage the safety (if there is one) is a Major factor in winning for the "good" side or becoming a statistic.

i carry a 38 snub nose "appendix carry" for a lefty. a full sized 1911/cz75 at 8 o'clock, condition 1. If you are comfortable with condition 3/israeli carry go for it. make sure you train to make the weapon hot once you unholster it. once you feel comfortable you wont have a ND, start carrying C1

If I'm afraid of shooting myself then I should not be carrying in the first place.

Now, we are probably coming at this with different definitions of afraid.

Or, I am talking about generally and you are talking about after training.

But.

I would argue the opposite.

If you do not fear the potential for that weapon system to kill you and others then you shouldn't have one.

Being blasé about firearms is not a route to safety.

A well made holster takes care of that.

Sure, mostly.

There is always something else that can go wrong though and it can pay to have layers of procedural protection.

It's a difference red cow

Redscare many people do carry c3, I even know someone that carries with no rounds at all and have defused situations.

Guges I know many that cried because the shield came with an external safty saying it will cause more statistics.

If you train a specific way you will get faster.

I don't live in a ghetto and my town is fairly tame but I do go to areas where yeah then I would chamber a round before setting off.

It's a security blanket, knowing even if it's condition 3 I still have the mindset and some training to overcome which I will be doing a lot more training.

I don't plan on killing the bad guy but if I have to I will, I'm not afraid I just want to be safe with others around.

Another thing, what if I don't have a chance to draw and I'm the first "prisoner" and they find a gun on me.

No point in giving them another chambered gun.

Situations change, as does training.

Yeah.

SCUBA deaths are clustered in groups of new divers (<10 dives in those conditions) and experienced divers who have become lax.

Middle ground is the safest.

Trained, practised, unconsciously competent but still respectful.

A little fear leads to respect.

I joke so often that when I am not joking I have to tell my friends.

"Guys, in all seriousness" is code for: The following statement is not a joke.

Except when diving.

When diving I am all serious, all the time.

No jokes, no horseplay, no showing off.  While diving in Mexico recently more than one SCUBA DM asked me if I was a professional diver.

That makes me quietly proud.

At any rate, cheap enough to get both a Stark G19 and G42 (yeah, I know, .380 but close enough) to fiddle around with and see which fits you best before going for the real thing.

Well my lgs they like to put a gun in your hand so you know.

I tried a shield because a friend has one, not a fan.

I dont like the xd my brother has at all.

Saw a sig of sorts(380 not a fan), also heard many they don't like their sigs.

So glock, love a glock, I want a 19 but the tinyness of the 43 means it's slimmer profile is good for me and my clothing situation and carry choice.

I have to have the extended mag for either subcompact I pick but that's no problem.

The 19 appeals to me because of the capacity and I can use g17 mags no problem.

Archived