red dot scopes

xXLucidXx

on the m4's when you take the hand holder thing off the top and mount something like a 40mm red dot scope can you actually see over the front site or is the scope there just for looks

also do any of the silencers actually silence anything?? my first aeg will be here tomorrow so i have no idea if they are loud or not

is it possible to find a nut with the same threads as the flash hider and put it in a length of pvc pipe with caps on each end and pack with cotton or anything else and actually make a functioning silencer

Silencers dont do much for AEG's, for NBB's then yes, silencers help alot. If you got a CA or TM dont worry about noise, it isnt that bad. Only ICS split gearbox's sound like dying cats... :rolleyes: Anyways, the RDS I have on my gun is perfect level with my rear and front sights. Heres a pic to show what I mean:

DSC00488.jpg

Somewhat yes, it is for looks, but they do have alot of functionality in them.

BTW: your silencer wont work, but dont worry about it, you cant really silence your gun cheaply anyways.

Your gun already has front n rear sights so a RDS is not a must. I would say its 70% for looks with rest for function. I have RDS on all my guns but tbh u can guide your BBs to the target even more so when its 1J n under.

Money saved from a RDS at this time can buy more magazines! keke

J

Your gun already has front n rear sights so a RDS is not a must.  I would say its 70% for looks with rest for function.  I have RDS on all my guns but tbh u can guide your BBs to the target even more so when its 1J n under.

Money saved from a RDS at this time can buy more magazines! keke

J

I would say it depends on what type of game you play, when we play Milsim it's a 30 round per mag rule so spray and pray is not an option so Red dots and scopes are a real aid..... for the standard game with no mag limits you can spray and pray so a scope isn't a must when you jsut start out...... but trust me, a player whom can place one shoot accurately using a dot or scope will always beat a spray and pray player.

Red-dots are handy if you're playing in a low-light environment, ie CQB, middle of dense forest, or open terrain in Scotland where the ominous dark clouds block all the sunlight ;) - it can be tricky to line up your black iron sights in such conditions.

Don't discount the looks side of a scope as well - the first time I played airsoft it was a tad intimidating to see all these seasoned players appear with their scoped M4's and such.

Besides, it does make your AEG look pretty kewl :D

well i got my first aeg today (m4, i dont care i love the real ones)

and all i have to say is OMG i was definately impressed even tho its almost dark when i was shooting im uest to little spring pistols and junk but this thing...wow nobody in my area plays airsoft so i mainly got this gun because it looks real and i can go at it with my brother who is in the military right now stationed in FT. louis washington on our 400acre property of mainly dense forest in KY

im so impressed with the guns accuracy im convinced it needs a sight especially in the woods here because even when sunny its very shady in our hills

Now I've alot of red dots (5 on various guns) but frankly I don't use any of them much at all. I guess this is from my paintball roots, but I sight to the side of the barrel and just have good pointing skills.

Therefore, IMO, red dots, scopes, external sighting units really are just a waste. Same with visible lasers, etc. But hey, I'm crazy like that.

ive playd competition paintball for about the past 6 years and im uest to aiming the guns from a tilted side angle but to do it with a real gun just feels wrong

i also have a target shooting background with various rifles and to hold my aeg it just feels wrong to site down the side of the barrel like my paintball gun

thats mainly why i want a site so i dont have to use the irons on the gun

I've personally found that the RDS was the best investment i've got (jsut a cheap but reliable tasco). the main advantage it is situational awareness, unlike other sights you can shoot with both eyes open so you can see that bloke who just came out a bush on your left. the other advantage is the alignment with an iron sight you have to get the front sight in the middle of the back sight and aligned on the target, with a red dot sight you just put the dot on target and pull the trigger, you don't have to be aligned stright down the centre of it the optics mean that if the dots on target you'll hit, even with the dot at the very extreme of the sight picture it will only hit 2-3 cm off where it would if you were looking straight down. and someone else mention an RDS owns anyone with spray and pray, and it's very good in close, though i'll always go for a pistol over a rifle/smg in CQB.

one thing though if you get one make sure is got alot of illumination settings, mines got 11, if i have it on the brightest indoors (low light conditions) it gives too big a dot and hampers vision so a lower power setting reduces the glare of it, and vis versa for outdoors when a lower power wouldn't show up.

Cheers

Mig

CCOs are the near perfect thing for airsoft. Heck, I don't think there is an airsoft gun made that performs beyond the advantages a CCO offers. Even if your variety of sight is not parralax free/compensated at the ranges you shoot at in airsoft it doesn't make a lot of differance.

Only thing that bums is the potential of it getting hit by a bad one and the way most red dots seriously raise the profile of your weapon. Iron sights? Still good as they ever are but most softers neglect learning to use them let alone co-witness them with their irons.

But it's true that your preferred play style (differentiated by whether user's gun is on semi or heeheehee) counts as to how useful they will be to you. :)

Dumb question here (didn't want to start a new topic just for it) but I am considering buying a red dot for my M15A4 but also though about using it on a VSR g spec basically do they go on a standard type of rail I was looking at a King Arms 1x30 Reflex Red Dot Scope.

Basic Questions

Going to go down to a store, would it be worth bringing my gun in its case, padlock and all to see if it attaches nicely and looks cool too. Believe I can try it out on a mini range they have too see if its nice

And would it be of any use on a bolt action?

Yeah, I don't think a 1x30 would be too functional on a VSR as a scope with as shorter magnification as that is best for CQB's. On a sniper rifle you're better going for a 3-9x50E or something like that. You can get one + a laser sight off Ebay for about £50 from HK. The laser sight is an SMK LS-2, good quality. Or atleast mine was.

Function definately since you cannot adjust the basic plastic sights (on my aeg anyway). With my walther pro sight on I can hit hanging chains and even string with one shot (a common gun test at Electrowekz).

with any kind of shooting, the more you do, the more familliar you become with your weapon the better you will shoot. while RDS's and scopes are undoubtedly usefull, i would sugest you learn to shoot without such optical aids first, after all what you gonna do if the batteries go mid skirmish and you find you left the spare at home. good head postional consistantcy will help no matter what sighting system you use.

yeah you have a point, the standard iron/plastic sight on airsoft are a bit naff, that said, just beacuse they are not adjustable does not mean they are unusable, and i acknowledge what you say, some people do not feel comfortable using basic iron sights, just as some people cannot get away with using a scope or rds, i was brought up with iron sights so i guess i am used to them and would prefer them and basic gun handling skills to optics any day, that said i would still advise any body who plans on shooting anything to get used to the basics first, but thats just me

Archived