M1899 Philippine Constabulary Krag

renegadecow

Bloody amazing RC!

Cool beans. How are you finding the lumiweld? Easy to use?

I found it a bit hit and miss, takes a fair bit of practice and getting the temp just right on both metals can be a pain, though this was me fixing some corroded ali holes on a Defender not bonding airsoft bits! 

I was using propane, though come to think of it a butane torch probably would have been better!

Jesus...that's a masterpiece right there. Have you considered fabricating a fake bolt assembly? When I was planning my second BAR-10/M1903 project I drew up a bolt handle in Autodesk that I was going to have printed in steel by Shapeways

I'm not sure I'm following you but I didn't think adding on different parts would weaken the bolt. Anyways, here are some half-finished designs I did to price out options: 

[URL=http://s607.photobucket.com/user/mkcp40/media/shapeways03bolt_zps8po28wdg.jpg.html]shapeways03bolt_zps8po28wdg.jpg[/URL]

Bolt handle ~ $60 in steel 

[URL=http://s607.photobucket.com/user/mkcp40/media/03receivershapeways_zpspzetivwz.jpg.html]03receivershapeways_zpspzetivwz.jpg[/URL]

Receiver ~ $60 in plastic, $250 in steel

Make an early 1903?  :D

It's a split top receiver and I've already addressed most of that with the fake static extractor, but there's a part between the wing safety and extractor that will interfere with bolt rotation unless I remove about 30% of material right at the base and I don't think the stock pot metal will hold.
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks! I should really stress that you not stop trying as much as I'm guilty of dropping my fair share of failed projects There are plenty of great builders here and I'm sure that they're willing to help out with tips on techniques or things you're having difficulty with.

That said, I just got my first kills with my Krag and damn was it satisfying. I'd post pics of my hasty Constabulary loadout but this will work for now:

damn.jpg

Moat of my recent projects haven't got past planning stage or have been stopped due to parts incompatibility that i can't fix or budget really Plus getting iller tanks my drive.

I may have to contact you about help converting a magic drain into a LAW with the sliding tube type action. The issue I'm having is working out how to secure it into the tube and what's the best way to set/convert the nozzle into a decent air pathway.
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm not sure I'm following you but I didn't think adding on different parts would weaken the bolt. Anyways, here are some half-finished designs I did to price out options: 

Bolt handle ~ $60 in steel 

Receiver ~ $60 in plastic, $250 in steel

Make an early 1903?  :D

SLS printing service?

Different materials will have different degree of shrinking, and "Steel" in particular is really PITA to work with.

Just my 2ยข

Archived