Sterling MKIV (LP) AEG

Ledpocket

As for fabricating the mag well, I size mine by getting a gash mag, cut thin wall plate (last lot came from a biscuit tin) to pack out the outside of the mag and give a bit of movement when finished then cut 3mm sheet steel to the required dimensions. I then clamp it up and weld with the mag in situ. With the eat involved in welding his has given me the best results, much better than constant measuring and checking and gives an overall better mag fit.

If your doing the same in ally, you could follow the same practice, clamp it up and get somebody with he right ally welding kit to tig it up for you, if it's only a couple of runs on a pre-prepared piece it should cost very little.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Haven't gotten much more done, but today I reworked the thompson mech with a V3 cylinder head and modded a tappet plate (v2 or v3). It's been a while since I cracked open a mech, but it went smooth and actually works :)

img0754wv.jpg

So, that solves putting any kinks into the feed tube, and puts the barrel central to the receiver. Thanks for the idea, I'm really happy about this.

• 2 weeks later...

I've accomplished a bit more on the sterling project. Turned a block to hold the hop unit, mounted it in the tube.

img0830r.jpg

Made the front cap, very happy with how this turned out, except the part moved a bit as I milled one of the counterbores for the screws, but I'll putty the mistake when I paint it.

img0826pi.jpg

Outer barrel, mag well, front sight, and a couple of the hand guard bits started.

img0833yo.jpg

img0823w.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

I used the same technique. Shimmed one jaw to make the offset.

Progress is slow on this one, haven't done anything lately. I tried a bit of soldering to attach the front hand rest and melted the darn thing. It was a good time to set the whole thing down for a while. When I get impatient with progress, I start to cut corners and rush things...so I've shelved it. Besides, accepted an offer to sell my house last night...time to start packing in ernest :)

I saw that site, but never bought the plans. I've been using the blaster builders plans and pics of the real steel for the exterior, and just kind of winging it for the internals.

Did you ever build one from those plans? Post it up if you did, I'd be curious to see the results.

• 4 weeks later...

[not yet but im looking for a doner thompson to start it

send me your email and ill email you the plans

I noticed the sterling is very similar to a thompson: central grip position / mag proximity to the pistol grip/ shape and position of the butt stock. The trigger mech is also very compact on both.

I have modded a paintball sterling .......Its still crude but a close proximity.

Archived