Purpose of Life and self motivation

xRAZERx

I may not always enjoy life, I may not always know where I'm going in life but I am doing my best to enjoy it. Life holds a lot of little pleasures for me (that I imagine would do nothing for others) like the smell of a new book, or going for a walk in the rain, and they make life worth living.

There have been times in my life when I've sat and puzzled out the reason for living, there have been weeks when I've not been able to sleep for worrying what happens to us after we die. When I feared sleep in case I woke up dead (I know that makes no sense but you know what I mean lol). But when I look back and think about it, I realise life is here to live, sitting about worrying has done me no good so now I just try enjoy it.

So I'm here at a time in my life when I'm having a few issues and what motivates all of you to go on, what you feel your purpose in life is so to speak?

I know most of you lot are still quite young but I'd be interested in your views.

PS: I've not gone all emo or suicidal....

To live. Thats all I've tried to do. I mean, I really haven't started living my life for real yet, but I never miss an opporitunity to do something. All I really want to do is feel alive. And get this girl to love me, thats a whole different story ;).

So I'm here at a time in my life when I'm having a few issues and what motivates all of you to go on, what you feel your purpose in life is so to speak?

I know most of you lot are still quite young but I'd be interested in your views.

PS: I've not gone all emo or suicidal....

dude, whats up with you atm :unsure:

and the only thing that really keeps me going atm is one girl :wub: another story though ;)

Oh this thread reminds me. Not a big deal but I am gonna be gone for a while. Got some things going on in my life that I really need to take care of before it gets too late. Just something I gotta do...

Well, he only thing keeping me from loosing it totally at the moment is the knowledge that I'll be out of this job in a few months and off back to actually doing something useful.

I'm very much a one day at a time person to be honest. I never really think ahead, I'm also one of the most laid back people on earth and I really don't get stressed or worried about anything. That helps I suppose, I'm honestly never all that bothered about anything.

I mean, I smoke, I drink, I still cook with lard and I drive too fast. Am I going to die early, yeah probably. Does it bother me, hell no. I say it's much better to live 60 years and the enjoy life to the full than live to be 100 having not done a great deal with your life.

There's no point in worrying about things, life is too short for stuff like that, just get on with it and enjoy yourself. That's my philosophy anyway.

When things get a bit smegged up, I just go for a pint/pay a visit to A2 and I've soon forgotten about it.

Is it the immortal question you seek? or is it just a little understand that needs to be enlightenend ?

At times in our lives we all go through phases. Some last a few hours, some last a few years (others a life time!). The trouble with the human mind is that it enables us to comprehend our situation, but at the same time, that comprehension causes us more pain. Is denial the answer ? Is the continued search for peace and harmony worth the journey ?

We all tend to ask the same questions, and we all reach different answers. I was a later starter. I didn't really start living a life until I was about 21. Then came the drinking, smoking, and severe womanizing. But after many years of this physical abuse and living life to the full, you soon realise that you aren't living life, just wasting it. Can a night of drinking replace a the view of the moon from the scottish mountains ? Or a one night stand fill that empty void for more than a day.

So were is this going? who knows ? But thats is life. Whatever we do, we have 2 problems:

1, What we can control

2, What we can't control

So for me the aim of my life is to spend as much time with No.1 and avoid worrying about No.2 as much as possible.

Hope this little view helps !

When you're facing the low times, keep in mind that brighter days are coming. Myself, I've got a very strong belief that hard times only make you appreciate the good times more. For instance, the military has kept me and my wife from spending more than 3 consecutive weeks together for the last 2 years, but you can bet your *albatross* I'll treasure the time I have with her soon.

Don't ever lose sight of the big picture. The problems you have now will not seem so big a year down the road. Keep your chin up and don't let things get to you.

Getting kinda serious here I like it!!!

The purpose of my life (in short)

Well I've experienced the highs and lows that life has to throw at you and have come too close to calling it a day.

The one thing that stopped me is the not knowing what life has instore for me. You can't predict whats going to happen, you can try and influence the outcome of many events in your life. But I've found that the majority of them are out of your hands and in the hands of fate.

When I hit rock bottom I felt that maybe the world would be better off without me or I wouldn't be missed if I were to go. Don't believe this, its not true. You could walk out of your door today and fate may have already put a series of events in progress that will lead to something that could make you happier than you've ever been before. This could take days to see itself out or even years, but if you're not around you won't find out what it is/who it is/ or why.

Chance meetings with people from your past, chance meetings with people you've never met before but have an instant conection with, chance meetings long lost friends......there are so many unknowns in life and you're always learning more about yourself the world and the people around you.

I love my life, good or bad.

I love my friends good or bad.

I love my Family

I love trees, fields and mountains.

I love the sound of waves crashing against the shores.

I love the sky

I love the rain, the sun and the snow.

I love chance and fate.

I love my Dog.

I'll stop now before I run outside and hug some trees.

Chin up bro.

Vega

I'm not a very spiritual person. I believe we're like bacteria. We live, we do stuff and we die.

That's it. There is no more. There is no greater purpose.

So, what's the difference between us and bacteria?

Well, we are sentient.

We can see that what we do affects other people and we understand that what we do can make things better or worse.

Personally, I think "life" in general should be about having as much fun as possible, improving or enriching yourself - maybe just by meeting and talking to interesting people or finding things out, rather than in any official sense.

However, I honestly think that the key issue in life should be to try and make things as good as possible for the little "cell" of beings that you interact with on a regular basis.

I have a wife, no kids, and 2 dogs. It's easy for me. I know that everything I do should be geared toward giving them a better life and, secondarily, having fun, myself, while doing it.

xRx, I dunno if you're in a long-term relationship but, although it sounds cheesy, if you are then a lot of this stuff becomes a lot clearer.

If, OTOH, you're in a relationship where it seems that this POV isn't a 2-way street then maybe there's a problem which needs discussing?

If you want to chat about anything in private then feel free to PM me or email me. I have a bit of a rep as an "agony aunt". ;)

I tend to live life to its max:

I cant predict my future life whether i die tommorow or live until im 100. but whatever happens i know i have to keep going because if i dont i let down alot of people, hehe and also in this current world we live in, it makes you think that life is worth appreciating and that you shouldnt waste it.

For some of us life's is only beggining, for others its just ending.

a saying that has always stayed with me is:

"you cannot allow yourself to be chained to fate, to be ruled by others, be free and live" :)

When I feel like that I imagine a satellite view of me, zooming out from the top of my head, out to the country, out to the world, out out out, galaxy, TRILLIONS of galaxies..

I'm just one lowly sack of water and bone. It often leads me onto the sheer ridiculousness of having other people tell me what to do when I never agreed to it and being ruled by money.

The truth is you are born ONLY to die. What you manage to acheive in the interim is entirely up to you.

Never regret, you made decisions you had to, you can't turn the clock back, just make sure you don't do stuff you MIGHT regret.

Don't let other people get you down, no matter how inadvertently. By doing so you would give them power over you, that's wexactly what they want.

Take time to try new things - the things you like at the moment you probably didn't like or know about at some point of your life, and now you can't live without them.. another thing you love might be just around the corner.

Love is just a combination of brain chemisty and hormones. Don't waste your life looking for someone that YOUR BRAIN decides is right for you. Just live life and let the women gravitate to you :)

Those are some of the ways I live. Some controversial, but the people who question me about them (specifically the 'love' one) often know little ore than me, but spend vaste swathes of their time considering 'Love'. I ask you: Would you know what "Love" is if it wasn't for Books, TV and Films? I doubt it, from a young age we are TOLD it's a "wonderful thing" etc. etc.

But if someone told you that stubbing your toe is a wonderful thing, you wouldn't believe them would you? Like I said, love is like alcohol, just chemistry, evolutionarily to keep a family unit allowing greater possibility for your children to prosper and so pass on your genes.

Your "Heart" is a muscle-pump, designed to circulate blood DON'T LET IT MAKE VITAL LIFE CHOICES. IT'S NOT QUALIFIED.

What is the meaning of life?

Clarity. The meaning of life is being able to see the world clearly without any of the burdens of existence on your mind and no "filter" of reality refracting your thoughts.

With this clarity comes understanding and acceptance of death, pain, suffering, as well as joy, happiness and many more of the better human feelings. With this clarity comes peace.

Don't strive for it, let it come. You will feel it in moments of action and in times of calm. You will see if when you share a joke in a terrible situation, the moment you look in the eyes of a child and the times you have your lover in your arms. When you walk alone amongst trees, when you stand in the dark and cold and when you jump for joy with friends.

With it you can have your epiphany and your existence will crystalise into something you can treasure.

Any other "meanings" to life are not living life.

Hope you are well mate.

Basho

It may sound a bit cookie, and if it does i frankly don't care. if i'm getting stressed or worked up about anything, i meditiate, i've got a good sea CD, bung that on go into my on little world for half an hour when i loose concentration and get up i'm alot more mellow, and the things don't bother me anymore (well not for 24hours anyway)

my reason for living? personally my reason for living is life, want a challenge? forget the marines just try living and coming out on top of all the sh*t life throws at you. maybe i'm mad but even at my lowest ebb i can't wait to get out of bed and see what lifes going to throw at me today. maybe it's some kind of coping mechanism to deal with the bad stuff, but i can't wait for anyof it be it good or bad, life is exciting to me.

i can be soaking wet, 35kilo bag on my back, trudging across the moors with rain coming sideways, and for somereason i revel in it i absolutely love it

Cheers

Mig

well lets see the one thing tht keeps me going........the fact i will one day hopefully will be in the army and seeing different places and be a peak level of fitness for once in my life and hopefully doing something tht im good at and fit in with the people around me.

the only thing i know is that you cant control wat happens to you to and extent but you can control how ya have fun and how ya enjoy life....the best thing is to enjoy the things that make you happy then keep doing them such as airsoft for me...when i feel down i just look at airsoft stuff and perhaps go plink some targets or i go and find a freind and spend some time messing around with them.

remember just live life to the full enjoy it for what it is and tht is...FUN and un predictable.

well i have probs confused you all im not with it today but hopefully this will help someone or something im not to sure atm ^_^

Everyone knows I'm Christian, so I won't elaborate on that, but I can tell you that it helps me a lot. I've never had "Emo-Evenings" really, because I've always felt that there was something for me to do.

But anyway, basically, the thing that keeps me going is the know that I will change the World somehow.

I was sent here to learn.

This existence has so much to offer in the way of knowledge, so many things that I know and so many I am yet to find out. Wether I'm learning the correct way to excavate and record an iron age burial, the way to complete Final Fantasy 7 or experiencing the feeling of truly powerful love for someone, I believe that all humans are here to learn as much from life as possible. If we do not learn, we do not grow. If we do not grow, we have no reason to exist. So I was sent here to learn, and that's what I intend to do.

Just to add to the words of wisdom already expressed here.. I've been in a very similar place to you (by what you write) and I would say there's no easy answer to the 'big question' about life.. For a long time, I didn't believe in anything spiritual, that there was nothing hereafter and that what we saw around us was all by an accident of physics... after a few experiences I have since changed my mind to a degree.. I have no religion, just a basic faith that probably we all come from one source and that ultimately we're here for a reason, however obscure that may be to us who are living our lives..

However, I think the real answer lies within each of us.. it's found by living as good a life as you can, helping other people and enjoying and positively helping with what's around you as much as you can.. I'm in my mid 30s and definitely view life as a learning experience.. With hindsight, many of the traumas and bad situations I've faced have been important for me.. maybe they weren't fated, maybe there's no such thing as destiny but for whatever reason they happened I think they needed to happen to me..

One of the biggest lessons I've learned is that nothing stays the same.. life's all about change.. good and bad.. feelings come and feelings go and while that doesn't help much when you're in a low state there is always light at the end of a tunnel and it isn't always a train coming the other way ;)

Hang on in there fella and if something distresses you, try not to dwell on it.. distraction works a treat, I've found..

Cheers

F

edit Eeengleesh

Archived