Collectable airsoft

Spudgun

Just over a month ago, I was asked about 1980's LS airsoft kits. Since I had a couple, I answered as best as I could, but since I had left them at a mates place for over a year, well, you get the picture (I've brought them back since).

Anyway, I got to thinking; Do people actually collect airsoft? From reading through the Posts here, it seems that certain people gravitate towards certain types of airsoft replicas. Be it Colt 1911's, Glocks, revolvers, etc, etc. Is it because these people want as many models of a given gun, or is it something else?

Yup many people here are just collectors. I would even go as far as saying that some people buy airsoft weapons just to have, rather than skirmish or even shoot.

Thats personally how i see myself at the minute. I have a glock 19 and a fairburn sykes commando knife in my weapons collection. Im hoping to expand that to having a colt .45 blank firer, an ingram mac gbb and a p38 blank firer, aswell as (if possible) a Browning HP Blank firer and a replica SMLE No. 1. or a No.4 lee enfield deac.

I do both. .have my guns that will probably never use. .and then my skirmishing armament. . .

I know a guy that has AEG: limited LR300, Steel RPK, all metal Top M249 and more . .classics: Asahi M249, Asahi M60 SDX, Shoei MP44, Shoei MG42. . he's getting a Piper M134 ver II, YE MP5 and MG34. .

this F@cker has NOT ONCE played in a skirmish. . .he's also making about $170k USD a year . .makes me sick.. .and as easy as he gets them, he sells them for a profit not caring in the world what a dream it is to own a piece of airsoft history. . no appreciation.

What kind of job gets 170 grand a year?

are you telling me, no one in the UK makes 96,167 GBP (USD 170k)? LOL (sarcastically speaking)

electrical engineer. . California.. where inflation is insane and an avg home cost nearly $500k USD. Believe it or not, alot of people in the Silicon Valley area of CA make 6 figures or more. . at least they use to before the dot com crash. .but there's still alot.

Yup many people here are just collectors. I would even go as far as saying that some people buy airsoft weapons just to have, rather than skirmish or even shoot.

Thats personally how i see myself at the minute. I have a glock 19 and a fairburn sykes commando knife in my weapons collection. Im hoping to expand that to having a colt .45 blank firer, an ingram mac gbb and a p38 blank firer, aswell as (if possible) a Browning HP Blank firer and a replica SMLE No. 1. or a No.4 lee enfield deac.

i don't see the point in an smle replica, as it'd probably be the same price or even cheaper, just to get the deac...

and jobs like barresters, surveyors etc. make 100K+

this F@cker has NOT ONCE played in a skirmish. . .he's also making about $170k USD a year . .makes me sick.. .and as easy as he gets them, he sells them for a profit not caring in the world what a dream it is to own a piece of airsoft history. . no appreciation.

I understand your pain, but it's this dudes money- so who cares what he does with it

The only proffession i can think of that makes 100 grand is being a doctor...meanwhile back on topic lol.

You'd have to be a pretty special doctor, senior GP salery is about 60K...

I actually know a doctor who collects airsoft. He bought my TOP m249. (thats how i know him) He also owns about every Marui, Classic army, and Western arms guns. (yes even that big *albatross* WA gun that like 3 feet long and has a cajillion rails) Plus a bunch old 80s gas guns.

He only shoots them in his backyard...figures.

Along the lines of what rizzo posted, I'm curious as to know why it bothers people so much what others do with their collection? After all, they are toys and people collect toys (toy trains, toy cars, toy soldiers, toy dolls, rockemsockemrobots, transformers, GI Joe's, etc, etc) to be displayed and never "played" with?

Coooo, 'chairsofters'. There's one I've not heard before. OK, I have to be honest here. I don't play the game. I've played paintball, and it was fun, but I've moved on. I don't regard myself as a collector as the stuff I have gets used as video or costume props (or both). I do plink in the back garden, but why not. At least my curosity has been satisfied about collecting airsoft. Oh, I do refer to airsoft guns as replicas as 'guns' is a dirty word when dealing with the press, etc.

Well...

I always say that most of my guns are practical. I have an SMG, an assault rifle, a battle rifle, a machine gun etc.

However, I gotta say that I now own 9 pistols and there are only 2 or 3 that I'd definately take to a skirmish. I have a Maruzen P99 and a KJW USP Tactical which will NEVER set foot on an airsoft field. I have 3 glocks. They're all skirmishable any all interchangeable.

My HFC M190 is a great pistol but it's not as idiot-proof as a glock. Neither is the HiCapa.

In short, pretty much every pistol I own is redundant when compared to a G17 or G18.

Then there's the SA80 and M1A1 which i bought cos I figured it was about time I put my money where my mouth is, telling everybody to buy em. :D

SMLE replica = £115

SMLE deac = £318 from thegunner.net althought they can be bought for £180ish i think

Although the deac does the same as the replica my parents would be happier with the replica and so would my wallet lol.

i got my smle for £175, perfect condition 1942 dated.

edit: and there is another shop near me, that regularly sells them for £200, all WWI or WWII dated.

I'll add again to this post. . I collect and play. .

for instance, my WA2000 will probably never see the field. . I bought this because I can't afford $30k for the real one. . let alone be willing to pay that much for one. That's a brand new car!

somebody asked why does it bother people how others spend their cash? because I know this guy personally ..and all he does is brag about what he bought and that it kicks butt in FPS and ROF . .and yet he doesn't even want to take it out to play.. .and he's never played .. ever. And another reason why it bugs me. . the guns he has are so hard to obtain. . .he buys it merely for the investment. . only to sell it a couple of months later. So in reality he's not even a collector. .nor does he appreciate airsoft enough. It just kills me who is passionate about the hobby and sport.

I guess it kinda bugs me like how Hugh Grant had Elizabeth Hurley and then he gets caught with some nasty looking black hooker . . .WTF?

Archived