MSG90a1

Hissing_Sid

I know people have been asking about this, and how to make the A1 version rather than the standard MSG90. I looked for a thread but couldn't find one so I thought I'd just post this little snippet here.

My own MSG90 isn't really an A1 but I DID want the front sight back on so I can use the iron sights if I need to.

I finally got around to chopping up the standard SG1 front sight to make it fit with the First Factory MSG90 kit

Basically, I sawed the bottom part of the sight off, through the sling swivel hole. I also had to drill right through the front of the sight assembly and file it out so it'd slide right over the cocking tube.

I got lucky with the fit and ended up with a sight which is a press-fit onto the coking tube and doesn't require anything else to hold it in place. It it gets loose I'll either glue it or drill a couple of tiny holes in a part of the ring which is hidden by the handguard and then use a couple of tiny grub-screws to secure it.

Anyway, here's what it ended up looking like:

P1010001.jpg

Notice that there is still part of the vertical section left so that it'll locate positively onto the cocking tube.

And this is how it fits:

P101004.jpg

I was worried that I might have to modify the foregrip but it was fine. A perfect fit.

• 2 weeks later...

A few pic's of the gun, just to satisfy those who asked...

Pictures taken alongside an M60DX, just to give you a sense of scale. The MSG90 isn't big. It's f**king HUGE!. ;)

It's about 10" longer than the DX.

msgm6003.jpg

msgm6002.jpg

msgm6001.jpg

[edit]

FWIW, my wallpaper isn't really that gaudy shade of orange. It's just that the combination of red carpet, orange wallpaper and the red sheet I use for taking the pictures kinda blows my cameras mind. I would have reset the white-balance and lighting settings but the batteries were about to go flat. Aint life a *badgeress*?

Nice tripod sid ;)

Could've been worse.

At least I put my pants back on before taking the pics. :P

[edit]

As for your edited post...

Yeah, I always use a tripod for taking pics of everything. You can get a decent tripod for £10 and if you plan on taking anything other than snapshots you should always use one.

Beyond that, I take the pics by setting the self-timer and then using a slow exposure and no flash. You got to use a tripod to take un-blurred pics if you're doing that.

I like what you've done with the MSG90.  Do you think it would be possible with a CA33 (aside from caliber obviously)?  I just like the fact that the ca33 is about as solid as an aluminum baseball bat.

So is the G3 once it's wearing a CA body. ;)

Dunno if the MSG foregrip would fit on the CA33.

The G3 cocking tube is exactly 300mm long. The MSG foregrip is 365mm long and it slides onto the receiver by about 40mm.

If the CA33 cocking tube is more than about 30mm shorter than an S/G1 cocking tube then the grip probably won't fit, even if you modify it.

Also, the MSG barrel fits onto the end of the G3 by means of an adapter which fits onto the end of the cocking tube. If the CA33 cocking tube is different to the CA33 then the adaptor won't fit.

See below pic for details.

The narrowest tube is the inner barrel. The wider polished tube is the outer barrel which is 12mm diameter. The adapter slides over this and clamps to it using grub screws (same as a flash-hider). The slot in the adapter fits over the end of the cocking tube to hold it in place.

MSG90muzzle.jpg

Indeed.

I don't own a G36 so I've got no idea how the barrel fits onto one. I did buy a G36 barrel to fit to my SA80 though.

I noticed that the rear end of the barrel has a female thread to attach it to the gun.

If I was gonna fit an "assault-rifle" style barrel and flash-hider to the gun I'd probably get a local machine-shop to make me a bush similar to the one in the above picture but instead of threading the front M20 (or whatever it is) for the MSG bull-barrel it'd just need to be threaded to suit the G36 barrel.

Incidentally, is the flash-hider on the MSG90a1 a HK style one or is it a birdcage flash-hider off an Armalite?

Hmmm... I like that solution, Sid. Can you answer a few questions for me:

1. Have you fielded your MSG90 since modifying the front site? If so, has the site loosened, as you feared, or is it holding well thus far?

2. Does your front site interfere at all with your scope, if the scope is mounted lower?

3. Out of curiosity (comparing notes, mainly), which metal body did you use? You mention CA, but don't specify if you used the old CA G3 body or the new lightweight body.

I used the CA Lightweight, found it to be a bit annoying to assemble. I was tempted by the new G&G magnesium receiver kit, but could find no information suggesting that it includes both the upper and lower portions.

4. Did you upgrade the internals at all?

That's a wonderful replica, man. Thanks for sharing!

934AEG_GBB_011.jpg

1.  Have you fielded your MSG90 since modifying the front site?  If so, has the site loosened, as you feared, or is it holding well thus far?

Yep. It's solid. It can't move backward or forward cos thecocking tube has a step in it.

TBH, if you smacked the front sight assembly HARD against something it might break off but I reckon you'd have to hit it hard enough that you'd probably break it even if it was bolted on.

It is totally solid in place. I've taken it off and refitted it about half-a-dozen times (for pictures) and I think it's possibly a tiny bit easier to remove than it originally was but you still need to use a mallet to refit it. ;)

2.  Does your front site interfere at all with your scope, if the scope is mounted lower?

Nope.

I use a Guarder High Mount. TBH, the main thing that inspired me to refit the front sight was that the mount has a hole through it for using the iron sights and it seemed a shame to "waste" it.

3.  Out of curiosity (comparing notes, mainly), which metal body did you use?  You mention CA, but don't specify if you used the old CA G3 body or the new lightweight body.

Mine is the old one and it is heavy. Very, very heavy. So heavy that I wouldn't like to hold the gun horizontally, one handed, by the pistol grip.

I found it quite easy to fit. It did require some dremmeling but it was straight-forward to do and it looks perfect now.

But it's f**king heavy. Did I mention that? ;)

4.  Did you upgrade the internals at all?

Haha!

Did I?

I figured I've spent about £500 on this gun. I recently did a spreadsheet to total up what I've spent on airsoft and this gun has cost me about £980 altogether, or about $1800. I couldn't believe it!

TBH, I'm usually pretty practical about what upgrades I do on guns but I just went to town on the MSG90. Pretty much all the internals are Systema. The barrel is a Prometheus 6.03. It's "fully loaded" and it shoots beautifully.

Nice pair of G3s you've got there too fella. :)

But it's f**king heavy. Did I mention that? ;)

Haha!

Did I?

My little girl isn't too bad. I can hold her out with one hand, but, not for long.

I figured I've spent about £500 on this gun. I recently did a spreadsheet to total up what I've spent on airsoft and this gun has cost me about £980 altogether, or about $1800. I couldn't believe it!

TBH, I'm usually pretty practical about what upgrades I do on guns but I just went to town on the MSG90. Pretty much all the internals are Systema. The barrel is a Prometheus 6.03. It's "fully loaded" and it shoots beautifully.

Nice pair of G3s you've got there too fella. :)

Yeah, pricetags are evil. I'm actually usually pretty practical too... but... insanity took over and I spent the better part of a bonus and tax refund finishing this project ;). I try not to think about costs for mine (this is actually copied and pasted from a parts order my friend did for the AEG):

Internals:

Systema reinforced 6mm gearbox

N-B Type-0 Cylinder

Prometheus Piston Head with Bearing

Aluminum piston

Brass Spring guide with bearing

Systema M140 (I didn't want to go all the way up to an M150)

Area 1000 cylinder head

Area 1000 tappet plate

Area 1000 oilless bearing

Custom 10.8V NiMH 3000MAH battery pack: The pack is configured with 7 cells in a primary pack (like a large 8.4V) with the two remaining cells attached on a separate wire, with enough slack to slip them into the MSG90 stock below the main 7 cells.

All that expense says nothing of the kit components and cannibalized G3, itself.

I'm still using a 469mm Systema 6.04mm barrel. I've been toying with the idea of putting a Prometheus 6.03mm PSG-1 length barrel inside. But I just haven't committed yet.

She's been to the field three times, since she was assembled in March '05. Skirmished the day after assembly, until the selector plate dislodged itself from the gearbox's contacts. Her second day at the field was in August, after some epoxy repairs were made to the stock by a teammate. She got very fussy, that day, and spat out a burst of six .36g BBs full auto at roughly 410FPS. I've been tweaking the selector plate ever since. Got the thing seated on semi-only last weekend, took her to the field on Sunday, got 25 or so BBs through her and the battery quit.

Hopefully I'll have her battery cycled well enough to keep going for a full skirmish, very soon.

Does anyone know if the PSG1 body and G3 lower receiver are compatible?

I would like to use the G&G PSG1 upper, because of the reinforcement rails and the forward assist button, but I don't know if this will work with a v2 gearbox and the G3 hop-up.

Kristoffer, I don't know for certain, but doubt it. The PSG1's gearbox is significantly different so I'd think it fits together differently with its lower receiver. I'll check with some teammates, though, and let you know what I discover.

Archived