Is Propane Safe?

Almighty

Again, no.  My angle is safety.  In otherwise unventilated areas or spaces, propane may collect in enough amount as to be a fire or inhalation hazard.  Whereas it is argued that very specific proportions are neeed to make the gas explode or even just burn.. people seem to have overlooked that sufficient amount of gas, even if less than the required percentage of total room volume, will combine and burn with only the needed amount of air immediately around it.  and even if the mixture is over-rich, the fire will simply draw in needed air from the nearby areas.  I guess sonmebody will inevitably come up with an argument saying nobody would be stupid enough to unload his propane loaded full-auto GBB inside the confines of a small vehicle or a booth...

What would ignite this propane? And do you have the figures as to exactly how much propane would be required in order to reach such levels in a poorly ventilated room of a given volume?

How many shots?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

IF the flame can draw oxygen in, then the propane can get out ;). The propane concentration would be on a stupidily small magnitude.

I don't even know where you get this danger. You would need to fire in a closed system which is pointless.

WARNING: Propane is also dangerous at concentrations over 2500ppm so , we could warned about that too i guess. Maybe if we are firing out GBB's in a coffin or something, we could be poisoned!!!

The hypothesis - based on the theroy that unburned propane can be dangerous and explosive in certain circumstances, it should not be used as an airsoft propellant.

The experiment - thousands of airsofters have been using propane as a propellant for close to ten years.

The result - There is no documented significant injury to person or property in that time.

Defense rests.

Almighty, I'd say you have a valid arguement and very good intentions, but the experience of hundreds and thousands of players world wide, in varying climate conditions disproves your's, and PERC's hypothesis in practical circumstances.

Good one GR, you beat me! :D

IF the flame can draw oxygen in, then the propane can get out ;).  The propane concentration would be on a stupidily small magnitude.

I don't even know where you get this danger.  You would need to fire in a closed system which is pointless.

WARNING: Propane is also dangerous at concentrations over 2500ppm so , we could warned about that too i guess. Maybe if we are firing out GBB's in a coffin or something, we could be poisoned!!!

Note to self: when skirmishing in a coffin, don't use GBB, use AEG lest ye never leave said coffin

Hang on, I use LiPol batteries, which could produced a build up of hydrogen! Oh heck, I guess I'd better just throw bb's in that situation then

Thanks for that :)

The experiment - thousands of airsofters have been using propane as a propellant for close to ten years.

Defense rests.

Close to 10 years is around 1995. Where is your proof that airsoft players have been using propane that far back? When did Chinese-made or packaged airsoft gases start reaching western shores?

Close to 10 years is around 1995.  Where is your proof that airsoft players have been using propane that far back?  When did Chinese-made or packaged airsoft gases start reaching western shores?

What does it matter. If it was only two years, that'd still be thousands of green gas cans. I've used close to ten in the last year alone. Times that by 5000, just for 1/2 of the UK airsoft population, alone that's 50,000 bottles with probably little or no malfunction. You've lost matey, secede like man :)

Archived