Star M249 Para Examined...

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Systema Aluminum Piston Head w/bearing - Is it worth getting the metal one instead? Any adavantages? Or do u think i might run into issues?

Would keep well away from using an aluminium piston head in the stock gearbox, you'll crack the cylinder head nubs off in no time.

I would stick with a polycarbonate piston head with bearing.

Edited by -Dan-
Unfortunately i dont think you can buy just the PGC hop-up unit which is a shame because it is REALLY nice.

I've been using a Deep Fire piston, with titanium coated teeth, and its been working wonderfully, maybe i just got lucky there, i dunno.

Are you using that piston in the star gearbox or the PGC gearbox? As i believe the PGC gearbox uses standard pistons.

Also were did u get the PGC gearbox from.

cheers

I had the deep fire piston in my wild monkey gearbox, which i believed was a copy of the star. then i put it in my PGC.

I bought the PGC from WGC, i was about 170$ That included the gearbox shell, bearings, tappet plate, nozzle, cylinder head, and the hop-up chamber with all the little related parts.

You keep the star cylinder, piston, motor, gears, trigger switch, and a few other little things.

Its not a simple drop in conversion. there is some work involved. You have to cut a peice out of the feed tray to clear the hop-up adjustment lever. You have to modify the anti-reversal latch button in order for it to work correctly. You also have to shorten the spring catch for it to fit the gearbox without hitting the spring guide, and you have to switch out the trigger switch lever for a longer one that comes with the kit. You also need to know how to shim gears since you have to assemble the entire gearbox, and solder aswell to detach and re-attach the wires on the motor.

I would recommend that if your gun isn't broken, leave it alone, at least until it breaks on its own. It'll save you alot of headaches and money in the long run. I would have never done all of this if the plastic gearbox hadn't shattered. But i just had to go and try to get 380fps out of it. The cylinder head smashed the front of my gearbox, the piston went forward too far, and the last tooth broke off, at the same time bending the shaft on my sector gear. I had nothing but problems from then on. The hop-up kept leaking air no matter what i did, killing the gun's performance. I got so tired of tearing the gun apart and messing with it I decided to scrap the whole set up and go with something better.

im still trying to find a piston that fits my pgc gear box. From what I heard threw the grape vine is only the pgc, deep fire, and newer classic army pistons fit. When I got the pgc gear box used it had a pgc full metal teeth piston but it was cracked.

Im still having trouble finding a piston for my pgc gear box. The pistons need to be a little slimmer then standard. Ive tried a guarder and a cyma so far and niether fit. Both are too tight. I heard the new classic army pistons fit so Im gonna try one of those when aex gets em back in stock. As for gears, my stock xyt gears wouldnt work. the little notch for the tappet plate catch on the sector gear would hit a rail on the inside. I had to grind that notch down a little. The hurrican high speed gear fit good tho. Im still trying figure out what the exact cylinder head is that the pgc takes.

Now i started a thread about gears on the other page. Mainly if phoenix gears are any good. The response that i received was that they pretty much sux! At least it seems they keep breaking on people. They say systema and Prometheus where really good. They also said that hurricane sux, and i'm still waiting on a reply to y. Now are u using flat gear or helical gears? Cause i want to put helical gear and a deep fire titanium reinforced piston in there too!!!!

oh and i also got my gun working again... but im still gonna do the upgrades!!! just changed out the o-ring... made a world of difference.. i guess i had no compression before!!! oh and a Prometheus hop-up bucking works wonderfully!!! u still have to us a little bit of teflon.. but it works great.. shotting in the 350 plus range!

Ps.. did the star m249 come with a shiny green upgraded spring in it? if so can u tell me what kinda it is!

Edited by cougarkiller

mine are flat gears, the deep fire piston works in it now problem. Thats what was in mine when I got it. One of the bearing blew out and pushed the gear up into the piston and broke the piston. As for the gears, im sure any gear set will work. I got mine in a trade so im not too sure what the other spring is your talking about.

I spoke to the guys at R&R Custom Airsoft (via e-mail) and they are making obsolete parts for the Star m249s. I bought the two piece Pos.2 spring guide with bearing and it works great. I saw earlier in this thread somebody found a similar part from China for around $60.? I got mine from Kastway. Also they are coming out with cyl heads and nozzles and poly carb pistons. Anyway, I got tired of modifying Guarder pistons to fit the plastic gearbox and bought a Wild Monkey box. I put a Deep Fire piston it with no mods.

I am currently tyring to work out a deal with Star to purchase 10-15 complete stock gearboxes. Just testing the waters to see who might be interested. Dont know what the price will be yet, or if the deal will even go through.

Also, if you have a broken trigger switch (box mag feed switch) Woulf in the UK has them in stock for about $35 USD.

I have 2 Para versions 1 with a complete stock gear box has over 100k rounds through it with no problems other then replacing the hop up bucking.

#2's gear box is ###### and only shoots at 250fps. Since I have tried every possible combination of gears, pistons and heads I decided to wage a long and weary campagin with Star to see what they would offer in the way of customer service. After 6 months and countless emails I finaly have gotten their attention.

So let me know if a replacement gear box would be of interest.

Regards,

Just ordered a M249 TRIGGER SWITCH from Wolf.

Hopefully that will fix my problem.

I am currently tyring to work out a deal with Star to purchase 10-15 complete stock gearboxes. Just testing the waters to see who might be interested. Dont know what the price will be yet, or if the deal will even go through.

Also, if you have a broken trigger switch (box mag feed switch) Woulf in the UK has them in stock for about $35 USD.

I have 2 Para versions 1 with a complete stock gear box has over 100k rounds through it with no problems other then replacing the hop up bucking.

#2's gear box is ###### and only shoots at 250fps. Since I have tried every possible combination of gears, pistons and heads I decided to wage a long and weary campagin with Star to see what they would offer in the way of customer service. After 6 months and countless emails I finaly have gotten their attention.

So let me know if a replacement gear box would be of interest.

Regards,

That sounds great, I'm not sure if the gearbox is my problem. But it would be nice to know that I could get a replacement if it is.

And I am sure a M249 gearbox would be nice for some custom projects. I was thinking of making a 50. cal browning out of my gearbox if I cant get the M249 up and running again.

Edited by Gundrosen

looks good man, I just saw on http://www.airsoft-news.eu/ that star is coming out with a railed tray cover. Thats gonna be awesome seeing how mine has a bunch of holes in it from previous owner trying to mount a rail.

Heres a pic of my star so far, its gonna look awesome with that rail cover.

m249_028sm.jpg

post-11940-1160689665_thumb.jpg

Edited by Shroomalistic

STOCK Star 249 owners:

I've read all the horror stories in this thread about Star M249s breaking down but noticed most of them are upgraded. To those of you that have kept the gun stock, what do you think of it? How many rounds have you put through the gun, and what if any problems have you encountered?

Also, how did some of you get rails on the bottom & sides of the foregrip?