Star M249 Para Examined...

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I keep reading quotes in this thread like " rate of fire is scary " and its " nothing like I've ever seen " but NO actual stats on what it is.

well, I got my MK46 yesterday and it puts out a pathetic 17.3 RPS with a 9.6V 3300 mah battery. FAR from acceptable if you ask me. with a 10.8v 1400mah it only puts out 17.4rps. it also has feeding issues and misfeeds about every 10 bb's. I am SEVERLY dissapointed in the ROF. quality of the gun besides that is exceptional.

my CA G3SG1 shoots 20rps with the same 9.6v battery. considering the pouch will only hold a patheticly small battery, I'm going to have to put an external one in my vest to get any kind of life and decent battery size. why couldn't they just have made the pouch bigger!!!???

I keep reading quotes in this thread like " rate of fire is scary " and its " nothing like I've ever seen " but NO actual stats on what it is.

well, I got my MK46 yesterday and it puts out a pathetic 17.3 RPS with a 9.6V 3300 mah battery. FAR from acceptable if you ask me. with a 10.8v 1400mah it only puts out 17.4rps. it also has feeding issues and misfeeds about every 10 bb's. I am SEVERLY dissapointed in the ROF. quality of the gun besides that is exceptional.

my CA G3SG1 shoots 20rps with the same 9.6v battery. considering the pouch will only hold a patheticly small battery, I'm going to have to put an external one in my vest to get any kind of life and decent battery size. why couldn't they just have made the pouch bigger!!!???

• 4 weeks later...

Can anyone confirm me, if eg. Systema/G&P etc. regular pistons work well with the gun? In fact, can virtually all the internal parts be replaced with aftermarket ones in case (ok, when) they break? I'm having a serious MKII fever, and only the internal compatibility is what bothers me. :P

Can anyone confirm me, if eg. Systema/G&P etc. regular pistons work well with the gun? In fact, can virtually all the internal parts be replaced with aftermarket ones in case (ok, when) they break? I'm having a serious MKII fever, and only the internal compatibility is what bothers me. :P

Okay well, I can say that the compability of Stars internals isn't the best. For what I know, the piston cannot be changed to any aftermarket piston, but I'm not 100% certain of that.

I can give you a rough list of what can be changed to an aftermarket part and what not, according to what I've been told, what I've read and what I've seen & experienced while opening the gearbox (done that about 1000 times).

Changeable parts are nozzle (new one needs modification), motor, piston head, hop bucking, spring and spring guide (needs modification).

The parts that can't be changed: piston, cylinder, cylinder head and hop-up chamber.

I don't know about the gears, so I'm not gonna put them into any category. I also might have forgot some parts. And in addition to these, I might be wrong about some parts, but someone with better knowledge have to confirm that.

prometheus piston and piston head can be used just had my gear box redone you can also upgrade to better gears if need be

Okay, so guess I was wrong. That's good news!

The bad news is that the Prometheus piston isn't quite the cheapest on the market, and secondly, I just replaced my broken piston with another Stars one.

[Edit:] Oh, do you have any idea which gears can be used? Same that are used on other M249s?

Edited by Ghoosti
I keep reading quotes in this thread like " rate of fire is scary " and its " nothing like I've ever seen "  but NO actual stats on what it is.

well, I got my MK46 yesterday and it puts out a pathetic 17.3 RPS with a 9.6V 3300 mah battery.  FAR from acceptable if you ask me.  with a 10.8v 1400mah it only puts out 17.4rps.  it also has feeding issues and misfeeds about every 10 bb's.  I am SEVERLY dissapointed in the ROF.  quality of the gun besides that is exceptional. 

my CA G3SG1 shoots 20rps with the same 9.6v battery.  considering the pouch will only hold a patheticly small battery, I'm going to have to put an external one in my vest to get any kind of life and decent battery size.  why couldn't they just have made the pouch bigger!!!???

Personally I dont see why you would want a really high ROF on a SAW. You are gonna be putting a lot of bb's down-field. . . .dont you want a slow, steady rate. . .not a really high ROF where you have to re-load a lot?

You do NOT need a massive ROF, I never understand why people find the necessity to have their weapon ###### a white stream. I personally like a weapon with a slower ROF.

man I need to repair my MkII, I miss being a support gunner :(

Edited by ECRRRainman
  • 2 weeks later...

shuffled through this thread again, couldn't find an answer, would a CA Para flash hider (or ANY other brand for that matter)fit on a STAR M249?

I am looking to possibly chop my MKII to a para barrel but I cant seem to find any STAR para flash hiders for sale, any and all help is greatly appreciated.

You can throw in any short type motor.

I have an ICS Turbo3000 in mine, and it's working very well. Marui EG1000 can't be a bad choice either.

I just got a star m249 via the internet, knowing that it had some problems. It did come with a PGC gearbox, systema gears, spring, motor(which needs to be replaced), deapfire piston...etc. What I did not know was that he had hacked on the top of the lower reciever to fit some aftermarket metal feed cover with a rail. Anyway I need to find a lower reciever for the star m249 mkII. Yes I realize that it is the entire lower portion of the gun. I tried contacting star and they said to go through my local dealer as they did not do retail. Do you know of a dealer that would be able to get one of these for me? Returning this is not an option....So fixing it is my only way out here. Can someone help me out with this, as Star isnt going to... I live in the U.S. fyi...thanks guys...

Thanks in advance,

RazorOne

Edited by RazorOne

As much as I would like to help, my knowledge of airsoft dealers based in US is from nifty to zero.

It's also sad to hear that Star has chosen that way to support its customers, I'm also in a need of couple original parts that I've simply lost.

So you didn't get the metal feed tray cover with it then? If it's not too much for your budget, you could always get one of them for yourself.

I've had hard times with my Mk.II, and my two hands isn't enough for counting how many times I've seriously considered selling that thing away, as a whole or in parts. So if I ever go real with that insane thought, I'll reserve the receiver for you. ;)

If you really want to remove the piston head from the piston, you got to do some ugly work. There is indeed a screw, but it's inside the piston head, like in most Marui guns. You have dig your way in to the screw with a dremel or a knife. Just start digging right where the screw normally would be.

My piston head was literally destroyed during this operation, and after that the new piston head didn't even fit that well. Later my piston shattered because of that, so I just got a new stock piston+piston head combo, and stuck with that.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, got a couple more questions to ask. First, can anyone with experience with the V3s PGC gearbox share their experience with it? are all the internals V3 compatable? Can you describe the amount and difficulty of the modifications required to install it?

My last question is what is the longest barrel that can fit with a para flash hider installed? I am aware the original para barrel is 345mm but it appears I could possibly get a 363mm installed (M4 length, I have one of these lying around)

Hi guys, just getting one of these today, I have a few questions that haven't been answered by the 3 days worth of thread reading.

Concerning the Wild Monkey gearbox, I realise that I need to use a Star tappet plate, air nozzle, and spring guide.....but can the rest of the gearbox parts be standard....eg piston, cylinder head.

Main reason I ask is that I havent been able to find a source of the cylinder head, the other parts are available.

many thanks.

I was under the impression that parts that fit in the plastic GB are the same as what fits in the Wild Monkey GB, no one other than R&R Custom Airsoft make a replacement Cylinder head and piston, but they haven't released them. the only things I was aware that can be replaced by other companies internals are the spring guide, piston head, gears and motor, I am sure someone will correct me if I missed anything

Has anyone been able to attach a G&P lower RIS to their STAR M249? Im thinking of picking one up

Today when i was assembling my M249 it fell and the white cords were stripped of the trigger switch (im not sure what to call it...?). The white cords are inside a black one and attach directly to the switch.

Could anyone please tell me which of the cords goes where? Also some pictures of the trigger and related parts would be nice.