Star M249 Para Examined...

Hey StaticZero, thanks a ton for writing yet another compreheansive review!!!!!

Anychance that video is ready for my viewing pleasure? Our Airsoft click is looking at this for a team saw... and with your review and the price, I don't see where we could go wrong!

Thanks again and keep up the GREAT WORK!

WaWa

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I actually just got done shooting some video. I just have to find time to capture and edit it. I'll be available soon.

I shot some footage meant to help me figure out the ROF. I tested it with the stock spring and an 8.4v battery, and an upgraded spring with each of my large 9.6v batteries (the old one and my new IB3800 pack). I also shot some footage with the feed cover open while zoomed in on the gearbox cycling, and a bit of the release button in action. Plus, I shot a couple takes demonstrating the quick spring change feature.

maybe its just me, but i've read/heard about many CA 249's sustaining serious breakage right out of the box. but i still haven't heard of any STAR m249's having any real serious problems.

i know i know, "its still new", "hasnt been out long enough", blah blah blah. The fact is, CA releases guns before they should ever leave the factory. I'd rather have my 600$ plastic SAW that i cant take on the field with confidence, than a 1000$ heap of scrap metal in which the piston may blow apart simply because i over-adjusted the hop up.

So then you're not counting the posts, some in this very thread, of new Star owners with problems: melted leads, tempermental power connectors, broken sights, split piston....?

Good thing you avoided the CA, those piles of junk practically crumble when you lift em out of the box... whew that was a close one. ;)

Oh, and: 70k rounds and counting. :D

So then you're not counting the posts, some in this very thread, of new Star owners with problems: melted leads, tempermental power connectors, broken sights, split piston....?

Good thing you avoided the CA, those piles of junk practically crumble when you lift em out of the box... whew that was a close one. ;)

Oh, and: 70k rounds and counting. :D

[/quote

the only posts i read about split pistons and melted leads were about CA models. as for the power connector, i've plugged, and un-plugged mine about a thousand times now, and haven't broken the clips.

Also, broken sights don't happen out of the box. thats something that is done by the user.

i didn't mean it to sound like they are all junk out of the box, i'm sure they aren't. what i should have said was, they BECOME peices of scrap metal, AFTER they breakdown, which seems to happen all too often

the only posts i read about split pistons and melted leads were about CA models. as for the power connector...

Then you're not reading all the Star posts then, are ya? Go back a couple pages in this very thread for a nice juicy pic of a split-entirely-in-two Star M249 piston.

Hey look, both are good guns. I'm not knocking the Star at all, but before you get done knocking the CA on anecdotal evidence we can do an easy experiment to demonstrate what the extra ~$350 buys you: Lets both go outside and run our guns into a brick wall or tree (happens all the time in events, banging equipment into stuff - so its a fair experiment), or heck even just drop them. Just stand right up and let er go. Then come in and post a pic. I'm game, are you? Actually I've already done this experiment (involuntarily) -I've dropped it, had the sling let go and watched it go down, ran it into trees, whacked it into walls, concrete blocks, and the front bumper of broken down 5-ton transport... and these weren't "love taps" either. One of those I completely "clothes-lined" myself with it at almost a full run and got knocked on my *albatross*. To put that in perspective; with my gear on thats stopping about 290lbs of clumsy dumbass cold. I don't know about the Star but I *know* that would have split a TM Colt clean in half. The CA didn't know anything happened to it.

Anyway, here's my "after" pic:

gallery_9287_404_45903.jpg

Your turn. :D

Orrrr, we could both set our guns down side by side, wedge something in the triggers to stay on, and walk away til one dies. I'm game for that too. That'd actually be pretty cool to film.

Sorry if this sounds antagonistic - I'm just having some good natured fun. Seriously just enjoy your saw - and light up some c-mag sporting poseur but good for me. :)

Edited by Hillslam

thank for the review on this it made my mind up or persuaded me for this as i have loads of ppl on my back about getting one cuz theres like 4 more ppl getting them and going round in like a fireteam all with m249s kinda miffed at the lack of working bits ie cocking handle and stuff but the case and its sheer rof compensates for that im getting mine on the 18th and being skirmished same day so should be loadsa fun oh btw ill be getting the mkII full stock

hello, thank you for this review. i want only change the spring on white gearbox but wich one? i dont want to crack my gear box :D pdi130% or it s too strong?

DOC

ive got a PDI 150% and its shoots at 30 to 40fps higher than stock without any noticable drop in ROF. i wont say exactly how fast it shoots because of the forum rules. but i would go for a 150%, a 130% might not give you much of a boost.

hillsam-if you go back an read my posts you will see that i did drop my gun, from chest height, breaking the box mag right off the gun leaving a nice big hole in the top of the box where it used to attach to the gun.it also pulled off the feed spring. there was no other damage besides the box. the power connector wasnt even damaged, none of the soldering broke, nothing. i fiberglassed the clip back on from the inside and good as new, probably stronger.

i do like your idea about setting them side by side and wedging the triggers down though. that would make a cool film.

Edited by WarMonger
WarMonger and Slo, what other nonstock parts are your using in your gun?

I wanted to use a PDI 150 in mine, but i wanted to know what other internal upgrades you suggest.

Thanks

mines been running fine with the 150%, everything else is stock. i dont feel anything else is really neccessary with this spring in my opinion.

Nice review, StaticZero. And great inputs, guys.

I just want to add this link to another review, but it's in French. The forum author stated that his M249 Para has already fired 10,000 rounds, without any problem at all. One of his very few complaints was the price (he purchased it in France @ 785 Euros! :blink: (I guess it's really THAT expensive in France!)

does the star gearbox have metal bushings already installed?  if so, there would really be no need for anything else, at least, for awhile

And are they 8mm? On the CAs, the bushings seem to do well up to a Prometheus 135 (what I'm using, fps at about a PDI 190%) although there was one owner (forget who) who noticed excessive wear on the stock bushings pretty fast (though I don't know what spring). I'm still using the stock bushings (again CA) but I've bought a replacement set from vxb for when I start noticing excessive wear.

Kanzen doesn't make 8mm bushings yet but you can go to www.vxb.com and order a set to be safe. And there you can specify different sizes depending on the thickness of the mechbox material for a good fit. Not sure if the CA and the Star mechbox material is the same thickness but if it is you can order: http://www.vxb.com/page/bearings/PROD/3mm/Kit6915

3mmx8mmx4mm is technically the size

http://www.vxb.com/page/bearings/PROD/3mm/kit714

I haven't installed mine yet, don't need to, so I also ordered a set of 3mmx8mmx3mm just in case (AustinWolf pointed out to me that they may fit better due to sideway shape)

Hope this helps.

No, the Star has normal sized bushings as far as I can tell.

And all I have in mine is the spring. Everything else is stock. I have a box full of upgrade parts sitting around, but I'm waiting to see how long everything will last in stock configuration.

The only other "upgrade" if you could call it that, in my gun, is the Prometheus hard hop up bucking, because the stock one is pretty weak in my opinion and was not standing up to hard usage at all.

-Slo

PS: 785 Euros. . . :blink: wow . . .

Edited by Slo

Another after skirmish report guys:

Today, same as the last three weeks. Gun performed superbly, and even better so with the upgraded spring and the barrel actually not flopping around. Fired about 4,000 rounds today, bringing my total up to nearly 17,000 rounds in three weeks of play. Keep in mind, all mechbox internals are BONE stock, running a PDI 170% spring. Thing just keeps ticking - even I didn't expect the piston or gears to run this long with no problems, even when it was running at stock fps levels.

The only problem I've run into, and it happened today, was the box mag kept not feeding initally. Seems the connector had come loose only slightly and it wasn't winding. A little hundred mile an hour tape fixed that right up. :D

I love this gun, plain and simple. I have 8 other AEGs, and this is the only one I've used for the past three weeks. Bravo STAR, you've earned my respect.

-Slo

Edited by Slo