To add authenticity, I have spraypainted the gas parts matt black. BTW if anyone attempts this then try not to dethread the upper screw on the foresight base. This does not affect sturdyness but may look a little annoying because the 2 ends can split a little. Just warning you guys. :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For the spotters and anal retentives out there (ie ME! ;) ) the NATO Stock Number as stamped on the STAR L85s TMH seems the be stuff of fantasy.

The number displayed is 1310-05-401-9196

Under the NSN system the above number can be explained as follows:-

1310 indicates ammunition of between 30mm and 75mm in calibre.

05 is the country code. 00 through to 09 are assigned to the USA. UK is 99 and Germany is 12.

The last seven figures are a non specific number that identifies the item within its nomenclature.

The number should be something like 1005-99-*******

<YAWN!> Nearly done!

The prefix on the handguard appears to be wrong too. It looks like 2806-99-*******

There is no 2806 on the list I found, the closest being 2805 which is "non aircraft gas reciprocating engine parts" apparently!

Next week I shall "entertain" you with a three hour slideshow of my holiday photos with commentary in a flat nasal monotone! ;)

FCS list for weapon codes

Edited by Tarnish

No its a govt black op The MOD commisioned star to make them the number is so they dont get mixed up with the real ones.

Next war we go into these will be 'accidentally' dropped behind enemy lines in their big padded cases ahead of any attack to lull our opponents into a false sense of security..

"calm down osama theres no need to worry have you seen the infidel pigs rifles? They cant hit you at more than 30 yards and even when they do it only stings a bi...."

Edited by snorkelman
So, the code number on this says that it is actually an American grenade launcher? :lol:

:zorro:

:D No "worse" than that it would actually refer to the grenade itself not the weapon.

The weapon itself would be coded 1055-00-******* according to what I can find out. Jeez I really must get out more!

Thats actually a shame because a susat on a Para minimi would be sweet....

As sweet as an ACOG on a diemaco.

Tarnish whats the CG in an nsn number then?

Quoted from what I've found at redwolf's http://www.redwolfairsoft.com/redwolf/prod...sp?prodID=19531 :

Fixed 4X magnification susat fits 20mm rails , espically designed for Star L85A2 series. Full metal construction.

:P I'm afraid there goes your hundred quid (of course, only if your minimi has got a 20mm rail) ;)

Quoted from what I've found at redwolf's http://www.redwolfairsoft.com/redwolf/prod...sp?prodID=19531 :

:P I'm afraid there goes your hundred quid (of course, only if your minimi has got a 20mm rail)  ;)

wrong info from redwolf it plain doesnt fit a 20mm weaver rail its a one piece 19mm dovetail mount (ie the width and the cross section are different) though I suppose if there was enough interest Star might make an adapter?

stevie

hey guys

well i got my Sa80 today, i chose the rifle version, and it has not been downgraded so i hope. anyway so i thought i might also give a quick review on my opinion of the gun, there wont be anything about the internals because i'm not that good with stuff like that :D instead i will talk about the externals, how it fires, (i have put about 1600 rounds through it today, though i don't know how it will be during a skirmish)

I will add a few pictures which i took with my phone so don't expect great quality, and this is my first review so, erm...go easy..please :)

First off i should say that i am a big SA80 fan, but i will be as honest as possible in this review, and please add any comments in the end.

first look at the gun:

The gun itself looks superb, looks like a proper jobby....as far as i know that is. the hard case is a nice addition, not needed, but still nice. it doesn't look right without the susat, but i chose not to have the susat, because of its praticallity.

the gun is weighty, but not as weighty as my CA M15a4 though that did have a grenade launcher on it and a RD, so i can quite easily handle this gun without a sling. talking about slings.....trying to fit my 3 point sling didn't work....maybe it was just me...but it didn't seem to want to go on..but i wont need it anyway...

The tool that you get with it is a nice addition...a piece of ###### to use...but still its there for a quick mess around. but i would advice not to keep it in the gun, the cap on the trigger handle doesn't seem that secure, probably be best to keep a small chocolate bar in there or whatever your into.

the magazine that you get with the gun looks good, its black instead of the grayish colour that you get with most armalite mags and really looks the part when put on the gun. But the base plate is loose, and probably will come off, as you can see in this picture:

http://img251.imageshack.us/my.php?image=image0182vx.jpg

but can be fixed with a little metal glue, that will keep it on there nice and tight.

The outer barrel on the gun is also loose, well it was on mine, but only requires tightening.

Fitting the battery

This is a fiddley process and could not be done in the middle of a battle with easy...its best just to keep the battery in there and charge it from the gun. i opted for the custom battery, and did come partially charged so i could shoot as soon as it was all connected.

shooting the gun

so the important bit....

well first off let me say that this gun is a great gun to fire, it has nice range, and fair to good accuracy, depending on the hop. though the spread of which the bb's are fired isn't the smallest i have seen, but ain't the biggest either, i suppose its sub-average to average.

The ROF ain't quite as good as my M15, but for a gun a that fires at 400fps (or there abouts) and runs of a 8.4v battery it doesn't do bad.

The iron sights are a piece of ######, i couldn't find out how to adjust them, so in the end pulled the iron sights off....and (you amy flame me for this) put a aimpoint replica on the rail instead, it fits nicely, and to be fair doesn't look to bad, and is a damn sight better then the iron sights. Here's a pic:

http://img365.imageshack.us/my.php?image=image0168il.jpg

Again the gun doesn't look right without a susat on top, but the aimpoint was cheaper, i had it on my m15 and is more skirmishable so i have heard from various comments on these forums.

There were some problems when firing the gun, sometimes the trigger would become unresponsive usually in single shot mode, as in you press the trigger and nothing happens, the only reason that i can see why this happens is because the battery isn't fully charged, as it worked fine on my fully charged battery that i use with my m15. but if this happens, there are some ways to fix it, either use the spring release, if it still doesn't work, fire a few shots in full auto, (sometimes full auto stops working, usually after the semi has stopped) try the spring release again, and pull out the mag, also point the barrel towards the ground, because once when this happened i pulled out the mag etc..it didn't work, so i pointed the gun downwards, a bb came out, and it worked again...weird..... another option which does sometimes work is if you disconnect the battery, and connect it again, that had a tendency to work.

Another problem is the hop up, it does wind itself down after a bit, so keep an eye on it.

After a bit of shooting a zeroing in my RD to the gun it was going great, the custom battery eventually lost charge...but the other battery (which is a 8.4v 3300 mah for my M15) worked well, and didn't seem to loose charge particularly quickly, and kept on going and going....and is still going.

The TM lowcaps also fit in the magwell nicely though, don't look as good as the Rg mag you get with the gun

other bits and bobs

to a lot of people accuracy of the replica is a big thing, so thought id quickly go through the various bits of writing on the gun and other parts...

to begin with the gas tube is sliver, apparently its meant to be black (again i don't know this, its from word of mouth) this doesn't bother me at all, because i didn't expect an exact replica of the gun, and details like that don't bother me. now there is some writing on the magwell as seen in this picture:

http://img227.imageshack.us/my.php?image=image0219pr.jpg

as you can see it has a serial code of sorts and says L85 A2 5.56 X 45 underneath, now as far as i know the real sa80 mag doesn't hold 45 rounds, if that is what the X 45 means...i'm not sure...

on the left side of the handguard there is more writing which just says

RIFLE 5.56mm L85A2 and a serial code,. which is different to the one pm the magwell, i don't know if this is meant to be like that, again i'm not sure.

the cocking hanlde only goes so far back, it would be nice if i could make it go further, but again it ain't that important. as you pull on the cocking handle it drops down the dust cover, this gives a satisfying sounds, but reveals the innards of the gun, so i would advice putting the dust cover back into its locked position, to help stop muck getting in.

The rubber cheek pad is nice :) i like that bit a lot...sad i know..but it makes it more comfortable to aim for long periods of time.

conclusion

This is a good to great gun....its expensive, and may or may not be worth the £400 i spent for just the gun, though i'm sure a skirmish will determine that. it does have some problems, like the selector switch being made of butter....though at the moment it seems fine to me..but i'm sure with use it may start to come loose..maybe.. and also when it cuts out all of a sudden is annoying..and worrying... but as far as i know its the batteries low charge.

but at the moment its is a fair bit better than my M15(seeing as the M15 is starting too loose range for some reason..) and i'm very pleased with my purchase...but am hopeing for some new parts from the likes of systema, such as new selector switch, if it is as bad as hissing sid says it is, and probably a metal gearbox. a fuse wont go a miss either, as i'm sure that may or is creating problems for the gun...but i'm cant be too sure about that.

So i hope i have enlightened people...i'm pretty sure i've been as accurate as i can be...but please add any creative comments.....

Here are some remaining pictures that i took:

http://img428.imageshack.us/my.php?image=image0170xk.jpg

http://img428.imageshack.us/my.php?image=image0207zi.jpg

trouble is the tool is a pita to use

on an M16 foresight you have a castleated cylinder that engages the slots in the foresight post AND holds the locating pin down while you turn the foresight post to adjust it

On that sort of design once the tool is in place and holding the locating pin down then you can twiddle the foresight post as much as you fancy (as each notch on the sight has a corresponding post on the tool which prevents the locating pin popping back up till the tool has been removed)

On the SA80 rear sight you have similar set up (albeit with more notches) Unfortunatley you have a tool that only engages with two of those notches at any given time

...which means every time you turn the adjuster a single click, the locating pin pops back up in the next exposed notch along and forces you to remove the tool reinsert it in the new pair of notches and turn it one more click (before repeating the process again as many times as it takes to sort the sight position).

Its not impossible but it does make the whole procedure an exercise in frustration if you need to adjust the rear sight by any significant margin.

The iron sight foresight onthe SA80 is also a pita though i suspect a lot of that is due to the use of alloy for the foresight on the airsoft version - holding the locating pin in the down position with the tool while rolling the sight post adjuster is a real hit and miss afair - the slightest angle on the tool and you will not only hold the locating pin down but you'll jam the tool in the notched adjuster (locking the adjuster in place just as effectively as the locating pin you were using the tool to disengage in the first place!)

stevie

:P I'm afraid there goes your hundred quid (of course, only if your minimi has got a 20mm rail)  ;)

You might want to bear that in mind the next time you read anything on the Redwolf site.

As I've said before, the only thing you can believe on the Redwolf site is the price.

as you can see it has a serial code of sorts and says L85 A2 5.56 X 45 underneath, now as far as i know the real sa80 mag doesn't hold 45 rounds, if that is what the X 45 means...i'm not sure...

The 5.56 x 45 refers to length of the Nato 5.56mm cartridge.

Such as:

5.54 x 39 Soviet (AK74)

5.56 x 45 Nato (.223 rem.)

7.62 x 51 Nato (.308 win)

7.62 x 39 Soviet (AK 47)

7.62 x 54 Soviet (Rimmed)

Thanks for the write up.