Star L85

Hissing_Sid

Star said they will start selling complete GB sometime in the future. So if you manage to break one you can get a new one.

Also 1 funny thing came trhough my mind today:

Why did they include the spring release position? It is totally pointless as the gun has semi-auto. So if you want to release the spring just shoot 1 in semi. This doesn't make sense to me.

Have you ever used a gun with a spring release?

The spring release comes in handy if you need to decompress the spring without shooting the gun.

Fire a few shots in semi and then operate the spring release and you'll find that the spring is still partially wound.

;)

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

sid, that thing about the cylinder heads on the star gun being unique, won't an upside-down ver.6 cylinder head fit? (one from p90 gearbox)

-sorry if thats a stupid question

I'm well put off ordering one of these l85s now, based on the points made about the internals. IMO it would have made alot more sense to mount the barrel and hop unit in the upper reciver, and the gearbox and trigger assembly in the lower reciever to aid field-stripping.

must be a good reason why the star l85 is constructed as it is, the only reason i can think of is to make it tamper proof, so star can make more revenue on the l85 range by using unique parts, such as the gearbox shape.

all this bitchin about the bad points of the Star L85 realy does make me laugh...look... hahaha.

i had one of these on pre order and took delivery of it about a week ago, 1 because ive always wanted an L85 (but a decent replica, henc why i went for the Star version rather than the kinder egg academy version)

2 its ful metal.

and 3 the gearbox is an entirly seperate entity to the gun, if it breaks ill buy another... simple.

also there is no fartin' about when it comes to changing a spring.

i really am amazed that people on here are commenting on faults of the L85 and they probalby have never even seen the dam gun.

fair enough its got a few problems,but so have all AEGs marui guns are full of problems BIG ons and small ones, and they have been going alot longer than star and still cant get a perfect AEG, oh suprise suprise... thats life, things arnt perfect and the only way to make them better is to get the opinions of the people THAT USE the gun(thats part of any development).

also the only real probs i can see is the fire selector and the price. the fire selector may become a problem, no one really knows its only been out 2 weeks, it could be that for the stresses and strains applyed to the selector switch the materials that its made of are more than suited, i guess well have to wait and see...

the price is slightly high, but then again so are alot of AEGs, and if the price is the real problem which it seems to be for alot of people, the sloution is simple DONT BUY ONE, and stop bitchin about how bad a flaw on a gun could be if you have never even touched or seen the gun.

bye :)

the price is slightly high, but then again so are alot of AEGs, and if the price is the real problem which it seems to be for alot of people, the sloution is simple DONT BUY ONE, and stop bitchin about how bad a flaw on a gun could be if you have never even touched or seen the gun.

could say the same to you mate,

1. the price is TOO HIGH. period. you could buy an ics m4 plus a decent gbb and have change left over.

2. have you seen the mauri p90? sprips like the real steel, and gearbox can be taken out of the gun in under 1 minute! I don't get why you are saying that the star l85 is better internally than other aegs, because it isnt. (talking about construction here, not power or reliability)

I'm not having a dig at you here, please don'y get me wrong. I'm just saying that compared to other aegs, the star l85 is over-priced, and over complicated to strip

all this bitchin about the bad points of the Star L85 realy does make me laugh...look... hahaha.

i had one of these on pre order and took delivery of it about a week ago, 1 because ive always wanted an L85 (but a decent replica, henc why i went for the Star version rather than the kinder egg academy version)

2 its ful metal.

and 3 the gearbox is an entirly seperate entity to the gun, if it breaks ill buy another... simple.

also there is no fartin' about when it comes to changing a spring.

i really am amazed that people on here are commenting on faults of the L85 and they probalby have never even seen the dam gun.

fair enough its got a few problems,but so have all AEGs marui guns are full of problems BIG ons and small ones, and they have been going alot longer than star and still cant get a perfect AEG, oh suprise suprise... thats life, things arnt perfect and the only way to make them better is to get the opinions of the people THAT USE the gun(thats part of any development).

also the only real probs i can see is the fire selector and the price. the fire selector may become a problem, no one really knows its only been out 2 weeks, it could be that for the stresses and strains applyed to the selector switch the materials that its made of are more than suited, i guess well have to wait and see...

You talkin' to me?

Selling the gun with the case is pure profiteering, IMO. It's like launching a car and declaring that you can only buy it with the biggest engine - it's a nice idea, but people who have no need for that little bit extra or who simply don't want it are stuck out in the cold.

Rich::

they just make them, they dont care as long as they get the money.

.x.X.Krystal.X.x.

i dont have one

.x.X.Krystal.X.x.

So you're standing up for a gun youve no experience with. However sid has one with him now <_<

TBH if it was me.. id listen to sid.. sadly i have no intention of buying this gun so the seeking of information for me would be pointless. Ive expressed little opinion on this gun .. merely the fact that its a shame for the price its not 'perfect'.

I suppose you could argue with the fact that im a picky git cos i use the rifle but thats beside the point.

Aside from anything else, the case isn't worth £80. It's a molded plastic knock-off of a Pelican case.

The Pelican case is made to IP65, is gas-tight, waterproof and made from GRP with a rubber o-ring seal in the join.

The Star case is the same deal as any other plastic gun case... which usually sell for £25.

So you're standing up for a gun youve no experience with. However sid has one with him now  <_<

TBH if it was me.. id listen to sid.. sadly i have no intention of buying this gun so the seeking of information for me would be pointless. Ive expressed little opinion on this gun .. merely the fact that its a shame for the price its not 'perfect'.

I suppose you could argue with the fact that im a picky git cos i use the rifle but thats beside the point.

Agreed, yellobelli you seem to be standing up for this gun with no experience, when in other threads you tell people to go away because they have no right to post?

Also all of the faults so far could have been sorted by a quick google search, and a few more weeks testing.

For that price I expect perfection. Not a long list of stupid errors.

Can we have a couple more owners reviews please, rather than people just simply mouthing off?

People complaining about the silver gas parts have, again, probably never seen the real thing. I have, and even with the brand spanking new A2s we had, the gas parts were silver. Chances are that if they painted them black, the layer of paint would be so thin that it would wear off in no time, or it wouldn't fit through the gas chambers without taking a layer of paint off anyway.

BTW: STAR seem to have done an excellent job with the SUSAT as well. People complaining about the lack of relief with the SUSAT have oubviously never had to try and peer through the real thing. Impracitcal yes, but there is realism and compatability with having to wear ski goggles as well.

£400 does seem a bit steep, but if it is going to last twice as long as those priced half as much then I reckon it would be worth it. I would certainly have one pre-made over some bastardised HFC/Academy bag of nails, mainly as the one I own is held together with a mixture of superglue and duct tape, simply not in the same league as this STAR piece.

At the end of that day, most airsoft rifles have similar qualities and are limited under the same laws, it's all about style. I think an airsofter showing up with a STAR L-85A2 would raise more eyebrows than another airsofter with another identikit *generic Americanski assault rifle* or M-Flaw...

You can always wait and buy one second hand if you are bothered that much about the price of the thing...

People complaining about the silver gas parts have, again, probably never seen the real thing.

Are you trying to say that pariahs photos are faked?

Ive seen them, in fact i was stripping the thing but a few days ago

Also the black coating is there to protect them..

ALSO have been using the SUSAT in the last few days i dont remember the eye relief being as bad as quoted.. but until ive used the STAR one i refuse to pass judgement

Can we have a couple more owners reviews please, rather than people just simply mouthing off?

People complaining about the silver gas parts have, again, probably never seen the real thing. I have, and even with the brand spanking new A2s we had, the gas parts were silver. Chances are that if they painted them black, the layer of paint would be so thin that it would wear off in no time, or it wouldn't fit through the gas chambers without taking a layer of paint off anyway.

BTW: STAR seem to have done an excellent job with the SUSAT as well. People complaining about the lack of relief with the SUSAT have oubviously never had to try and peer through the real thing. Impracitcal yes, but there is realism and compatability with having to wear ski goggles as well.

£400 does seem a bit steep, but if it is going to last twice as long as those priced half as much then I reckon it would be worth it. I would certainly have one pre-made over some bastardised HFC/Academy bag of nails, mainly as the one I own is held together with a mixture of superglue and duct tape, simply not in the same league as this STAR piece.

Wow what an uniformed post. I seem to remember holding an A2 in my hands less than a month ago. :P So I KNOW that the gas parts on an A2 are black. The paint does not come off.

All A2's have black gas parts the gas parts between the a1 and a2 are NOT interchangeble. Also all parts are standardised in the A2 no difference between any of the batches or anything so all of them are black. Also you may have missed my pics proving that they are black and must have A2 markings on them. :rolleyes:

Also as a comparison the Star SUSAT is nothing compared to a real one. The post is the wrong size. The built quality is really not that good and the eye relief on the real one is much better than the Star one, on the real one I could get at least 6cm away and still use the sight perfectly where as with the Star I was struggling at 4cm. Again checked them next to each other.

Also you seem to be forgetting that many of the custom jobs around are much better quality than this rather inaccurate copy which seems to be held together with a box full of screws.

ive bought two of these thus far: 1 carbine 1 rifle yes Ive held them and shot them but Ive also taken the rifle apart.

hold it shoot it and its superb you'll have bb spitting fun so good the govt should ban it (woops)

as far as external functionality go its on a par with most other AEGs over all - the bits that need to work work (though fire select might not work for as long as it should) Some of the bits that dont need to work do and some of the bits that dont need to work dont give each function a point toatla up the working ones subtract the non working ones and chances are most AEGs would come up with a simialr score.

Has it got innaccuracies in the detailing yes but so does every other AEG im not going to get my knickers in a twist over a silver versus black phospated gas tube, or a mag baseplate that isnt suitable for an A2 (since when has a mag base plate with a big frigging clockwork winder been suitable for an M16) ;)

Take it out on a skirmish and you'll have a grin a mile wide ...until the time it stops with a barrel jam. You can then

1 opt for the good old fashioned poke it with a stick

if that doenst work then

2 lay out a ground sheet, whip out your army issue hammer, 2 phillips screwdrivers, 1 slotted screwdriver and an allen key and litterally tear it apart

Even allowing for a couple of shortcuts to avoid need to remove gearbox, desolder the motor wires, dismantle the entire gearbox, to reach proper end of the hop up unit, you'll now have access to the hop up (albeit from the 'wrong' end) and the inner barrel

clear the jam put it back together and enjoy some more bb spitting fun (assuming everyone else hasnt packed up and gone home in the meantime)

whereas if you had an ICS or an early pivot style CAM15A4 you could have reached the right end of the hop up unit in all of a minute or two with 1 slotted screw driver or allen key and have long returned to some almost as good bb spitting fun.

There is NO guarantee that Star will release a gearbox for this gun. yes they've announced gearboxes for the M249 but the two gearboxes are NOT the same

As it stands at mo if they give you a drop in replacement box for the SA80 they'll need to include the motor and the hop up unit housing otherwise it ceases to be 'drop in'

At current price even if they do make the gearbox available theres no guarantee the replacement box would be cheap.

Theres plenty of companys can churm out outer and inner barrels the furniture etc at relatively cheap prices, so to prevent folks building one cheaper from 'a star gearbox a star metal body and everything else from elsewhere' the gearbox and the metal body Id suspect are going to have to carry the bulk of the spare parts costs (at least untill the actual retail price of the gun comes down significantly)

Even though im not as pessimistic as Sid on the potential for probs in terms of the gearbox components and its construction, Id still have to say:

even at 200 quid this is not an AEG for a newbie - take down is awkward and theres too many fine screw heads waiting there to get chewed in comparison to an M4

now there aren't millions of screws holding it together but theres a good few more than is ideal (ignore the gearbox and theres 2 pins, 17 screws and 1 allen headed grub screw i can count off top of my head that you actually need to remove to do an inner barrel change or hop up rubber fix etc)

Of those 17 screws only 5 are substantial enough for me to say they could take clumsy handling, the other 12 need a bit of care and a decent screwdriver or two.

If someone has just about got enough cash sat around to buy this gun Id say they should forget it too

This is an AEG for folks who really really want it:

AND are willing to roll their sleeves up any time it needs maintenance

AND have far more than just the initial purchase price available as spending dosh, just in case sids more pessimistic pronouncements come true.

if you just want X ROF, Y fps and a similar size of weapon buy an M4 carbine

stevie

My HFC mod is held together by 6 screws, a plastic pin and the grip. 2 screws hold the front assemly, 2 screws go through the body, 2 for the butt plate and the pin in front of the buttplate. No super glue and no ducktape needed. And I'm not an engineer and I don't have a workshop.

2 pins would be about enough to fix a gearbox in place. Also check the TM AUG, you can take it into 2 pieces by pushing a button. That is what I call serious engineering for 200Ł. And finally, the a stock TM under normal use can run years witout problem. My friend has a 3 years old TM G36. It has the battle wear, but runs like new. Would the Star L85 run for 6+ years? We are yet to see.

What he said.

FWIW, I'd just like to point out that I never, ever criticise any gun in comparison to a real-steel gun.

Maybe it's just me but that's the reason why I honestly don't give a flying f**k about the ICS M4 receiver being 10mm too long.

For me, the important thing is that the dollop of metal and plastic in my hands works well for the purposes of playing airsoft.

The same thing, however, applies to the Star SA80.

I pretty sure I've said it before but I reckon the SA80 is the best looking, strongest, gun you can take to the airsoft field with.

I think the SUSAT is a spectacular piece of kit. It's freaking awesome.

I don't think it's any good for airsoft though.

I don't give a toss if it's authentic or not. Real Steel engagement distances are much greater than airsoft.

Actually, on this topic, I wonder what the Brit army is currently doing about CQB training.

I'd hate to be patrolling the streets and houses of Basra with a SUSAT bolted to my SA80. I imagine most squaddies are either shooting from the hip or relying on the EBS.

I'm sure it's great for shooting at people 200m away but useless for aiming at people on the opposite side of a room.

It occurs to me, if the Brit army can only use the SUSAT then that's probably why I see so many pics of squaddies with torches attached to their guns. A Surefire makes a decent enough aiming device, I guess.

Well i Enjoyed both my L85, so all i can say is if you very wanted a L85 then go for it, it may not be perfect to everyone, but its good enought for me...hehe :P:P

btw thank Sid for all the informations regarding to the gun, at least we know what to look out for when things go wrong..... ;);)

Archived