Top 5 War Movies.....Results

Born2BeMild

Thanks for all the replies people. I have compiled the official Top 5 from all the replies offered and the results surprised me a little.

Here's the list;

5. Full Metal Jacket..............6 VOTES

4. We Were Soldiers...........11 VOTES

3. Saving Private Ryan

Band Of Brothers...........12 VOTES EACH

1. Black Hawk Down..........14 Votes

So BLACKHAWK DOWN is the official Number 1 war movie as voted by the members of ARNIES.

There were 2 movies with 5 votes which just failed to make the list, A Bridge Too Far & Dr Strangelove.

The surprising things for me were;

The Great Escape didn't get one single vote!

Platoon only got 3 votes. I think it's fair to say that Oliver Stone was responsible for bringing the genre to the attention of the masses with that one. Obviously there were a lot of great films made before Platoon but, before it was made, war films were not popular with the cinema going public.

The Rambo Movies only got 1 mention. Whatever you think, these films were massively popular.

Apocolypse Now only managed 3 votes. Widely regarded by those in the know as the greatest war movie ever made.

Thanks for all the votes.

Ditto. Black Hawk Down just seems so full of, ummm, Americanisms. I have american friends that love it, but then they like Independance Day (aka ID4) and U-571... and dont see why others criticise those movies.

Anyway, i've ordered We Were Soliders never having seen it, and also Band of Brothers, which i only ever caught a few on TV, so i'll see what those are like too.

I guess i should have voted, but i find collating my thoughts for such lists difficult, however Platoon would definitely rate in my top 5. Maybe its not "exciting" as a war film, being more anti-war like The Killing Fields, so i was a bit surprised.

EDIT: joeKing27; good point, but then Vietnam wasnt a "war" either, gotta love yanks and their clasification of things to be more acceptable - police action, pre-emptive strike, napalm that isnt-really-napalm...

EDIT:  joeKing27;  good point, but then Vietnam wasnt a "war" either, gotta love yanks and their clasification of things to be more acceptable - police action, pre-emptive strike, napalm that isnt-really-napalm...

This made me laugh really, really hard. Seriously, it was ridiculous, because I though no one would ever notice.

How long was this poll taking place? I would have voted...

dunno - i kinda look at movies.. maybe differently?

Therefore, in my kind of thinkg, in terms of 'movies' and 'war/battle' scenes, i think BHD works very well. Scott is an artist in the movies and he made a very decent film that could have very easily been far too gung-ho american or just plain-anti-american. i think he succeeded in travelling down a difficult path. I think BHD is a good movie.

I think people like WWS because.. they like gun/war/nam movies.. i dont rate it very well [i know many people who rate the pacing and cinematography, dialogue, lighting and acting much higher in BHD than they do in WWS and i agree with them]. I found WWS slow, ponderous and the family scenes distracting. The battle scenes were okay, but it wasnt eactly rivetting. Interesting in spots, but BHD had much better pacing and action sets in it.

its a personal opinion - it always is, but then i am always going to look at it from a movie/artist/techdir-person's pov.

i might be considered as one who may be near 'those in the know' [a pre production crew for a sequel to a well known film are 3ft away from my desk.. ] - and while i rate Apocalypse Now very very highly, i do not think it was the best war movie ever made, and plenty have the same opinion. What is the best war movie? i dont know - thats why my '5 movies' list is so bloody long..

I'm not including BoB because it isnt a film, and hasnt been shown theatrically like film. OTOH Das Boot and, say, Battlestar Galactica has, even though both examples were telemovies/mini-series..

I do love BoB though..

for me, best movie then..might be a toss up between.. zulu, a bridge too far, the dam busters, das boot, soldier of orange..and, dare i say it, BHD..

they comprise, for me, the best combination of casting, dialogue, action scenes, pacing, cinematography, soundtrack, lighting, and memories..

[dons flame-retardent bunny suit..] :)

Everyone is entilted to their opinion, even if yours sucks! :P

LOL!

I saw BHD literally, right after WWs and i liked WWs a LOT better, its more brutal, funy, "deep" and although its not a sense of "omg lets get in and out" theres the sense of "holy *beep*! HOLY *beep*! we are screwd! fight till u gots nothing but your teeth left"

The Longest Day, that's the greatest war movie ever, if you haven't seen it, rent it.

As for BHD, I was most disappointed that they didn't mow down the cow with the minigun like they did in the book. I would gladly shell out $7 to have seen that.

The Longest Day, that's the greatest war movie ever, if you haven't seen it, rent it.

As for BHD, I was most disappointed that they didn't mow down the cow with the minigun like they did in the book.  I would gladly shell out $7 to have seen that.

TLD was certainly the most epic one i have seen, thus it got in my top 5 ;) and had great actors and action for its time

war movies sux0r. I've been in the Army and I know what it's really like. I dunno, right now with things so messed up it's hard for me to support all of what's going on. I have personally been not watching war movies because I wore them all out. yeah, I've seen all those moveies on the list above and I own most of them. I don't know, I just think it's time for peace right now...

lol... sorry to get all anti-war on you people. I just think president bush is a ###### :angry:

Oh well..... on another note, those movies to show bravery and stuff. I shed a tear at the end of We Were Soldiers TBO. lol... right now i'm collecting all of the Aqua Teen Hunger Force DVDs.. they crack me up :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

I've seen most of the films mentioned above WWS was ok but the religious content was a bit ''God on our side'' and the photographer scenes were a bit lame and sentimental. I wonder how much input into the story Mel had? I suppose we were lucky he didn't say all his lines in ancient hebrew or aramaic :D

Apocalypse Now is a wonderful film especally the extended version with the added french plantation scene which really adds an extra dimension to the film and probably closer to the theme of the book.

Another fave is Cross of Iron one of the best WWII films ever made and well worth searching out and for all you detail buffs the Germans and Russians all use the correct weapons and armour (no Chaffee's or Shermans with crosses or stars painted on them :lol: )

I agree with Oik. We Were Soldiers was too... over dramatic and cheesy for my tastes. Black Hawk Down was also cheesy as well, but I feel it was on overall better movie, although in my opinion, they're blown away next to Band of Brothers.

Longest Day was a great movie, but I prefer to keep classics seperated from modern movies. Classic movies can have great scenes, acting, story, but I'm always going to be a little biased when it comes down to the special effects. Out of the classics though, Tora Tora Tora, The Longest Day and Bridge Too Far are the three that stick out in my head.

Archived