Metal MadMax Taiwan Shotty Pics

Preface: I thought there were too many pics to clog up rapier's thread, it's not quite a full blown review (couldn't quite figure it out, anyway) and what the fashizzle, I haven't started a thread lately...

The junk:

I got this shotty delivered Friday night via fedex. I ordered it from ebay with a couple extra shells. Although it cost a bit more than ordering from rapier, I was really too impatient to keep waiting. When I get an itch, I need to scratch it!

Cracked open the box, and was pretty happy  Full metal/wood. Pretty heavy, and seems well built.

I got to play with it for about 5 minutes before other things interrupted me, but managed to load a couple shells and test fire it. It was nice. A bit later my guests for the evening showed up, and there were plenty of smiles as we blasted off rounds, and checked the gun out.

Out of the box, the 7 bb blasts produced a spread larger than 15” at 15’ (my target is 15” square and we fired at it from about 15’). Removing the inner barrels and firing seemed to produce a greater spread (pretty logical).

Most things should be apparent from the pictures. The inner barrel spacers are rubber. The shell seats into one end, and the one on the other end supports the barrel.

The trigger pull is a little funky. It seemed like when I held the trigger down, there was a bit of a delay before the shell fired. If it was a quick tap, it seemed to fire immediately. This didn’t happen every time, so it might be a function of the release valve on the shells engaging at different heights (or just a better seal on some of the shells) .

I’m not sure what else to say, so here’s the pics:

1 2006-04-08madmax001.jpg

2 2006-04-08madmax002.jpg

3 2006-04-08madmax005.jpg

4 2006-04-08madmax006.jpg

5 2006-04-08madmax008.jpg

6 2006-04-08madmax009.jpg

7 2006-04-08madmax013.jpg

8 2006-04-08madmax014.jpg

9 2006-04-08madmax015.jpg

10 2006-04-08madmax016.jpg

(2 more posts of pics coming momentarily)

Awesome, Led, do you happen to have a leather jacket and a post-apocalyptic future to go with that?

Now if you want to complete the whole Mad Max/Mel Gibson impression all you need to do is go bat *beep* insane like Mel, and you're good to go.

For example: http://crazygibson.ytmnd.com/

Alright, you primitive screw-heads, listen up! See this? This... is my boomstick! ( nonchalantly ) ...It's a twelve-gauge, double-barreled Remington. S-Mart's top of the line. You can find this in the sporting goods department. That's right, this sweet baby was made in Grand Rapids, Michigan. Retails for about $109.95. It's got a walnut stock, cobalt-blue steel, and a hair trigger. That's right... shop smart. Shop S-Mart... You got that?!!

Edit: Happy Brithday btw Rhino ;)

Edited by Vicks

That's the one... I used to have a cheap springer version ages ago which would have been good apart from the fact it was horribly plastic and only fired 2 BB's at a time (1 from each barrel) I'd love to get one for CQB (might start saving up now!)

Vicks: Cheers bud! (wanders off to eat Dalek Birthday cake - don't ask!)

I've been trying to find further info on this but it appears to be 8mm only, is this correct? If so it won't be skirmishable here in the UK.

So why is that? Surely the power is govened by the amount of gas supplied by the shell cases.

Therefore the same power would be applied to both 8mm and 6mm bb's. The 8mm would still only have the same impact power.

If the shell cases for the 8mm were larger or used a more powerful gas, then it might be cause for site owners concern.

As far as I was aware 8mm are not allowed, fired at the same fps as a 6mm BB they will exert more force on impact due to being generally heavier? This is what I had always presumed.

Otherwise I'd have a Tanaka Kar98 in my possesion.

If I'm wrong then fair enough- its just something I'd always presumed, and if I'm right then there is a 6mm version too, so theres no problem.

The main issue is lack of .2 8mm BBs with which you can chrono a gun on par with normal AEGs. Most sites specify 328fps with .2g BBs. Hence not many sites will actually let you use them.

Edited by DualWieldNate

The same amount of gas should deliver the 8mm at a lower velocity than 6mm (becuase the 8mm are heavier and require more energy to get up to the same speed).

That's my take on 8mm vs 6mm. Based on rapiers pics, the gas chamber part of the 8's look to be the same size as the 6's.

Well, I'm making a few assumptions:

1) the 8mm version holds 5 bbs (for a 40mm bb space) & the 6mm holds 7 bb's (for a 42mm bb space) so my assumption is the pink part and the silver part of the respective shells are the same length.

2) based on the pic posted by rapier (stolen and posted here ;) )

shotgun0061os.jpg

the brass parts look the same.

3) Making common parts is cheaper than making a bunch of different parts, so I assume the outer barrel housing is common, the gas section of the shell is common, and the blanks used to make the bb chambers are common (with the only differences being one has a 6mm bore and 1 has an 8mm bore, and the color they are anodized)

So, the only parts needed to swap between an 8mm version and a 6mm version are the inner barrels and the ends of the shells that hold the bb's.

That's my logic.

edit: so, for point #3 the shells would have to be the same overall length to be able to interchange with the outer barrel...

Edited by Ledpocket

hey Ledpocket, looking at the detache wood piece under the barrel. I just got an idea, drill 2 holes into the piece of wood, then place 2 laser pointers in there, angled out. Then adjust the two pointers to indicate the limit of the spread. Ta-da, instant target aquisition.

Maybe you could even get those lasers with a filter/lense that has a bracket or something like this [ ] then you would be rocking!

I might do that actually, but drilling into a $200 gun is slightly intimedating....

Good pictures none the less.

Lasers on a double barrel shotgun. Please....

eh.... with a spread of 15in+ at 15 feet, wouldn't you want to know where your 14bb's are going? I know I would. If my post wasn't clear, the lasers mark out the outer bounds of the spread, like a set of extended sights. In situations where there is the possibility sneaking up on a group, hitting as many enemies as you can with your first 14bb's before the 3-4 sec reload is probably a good idea.