How do you explain...

Hoppum

Yeah, I have Asian parents. I have a job and save up all my money, but the "it's my money, I can do what I want with it" just doesn't cut it. They respond "if your so rich, get out of my house and buy your own", or "that doesn't matter your under 18, your money is my money". Since I can't drive yet, they make me pay for the gas, and also for the labor fee of driving and picking me up from work. Thing is, they have no idea I airsoft.

Defenitely spend more on my GR300 alone than any girlfriend thus far.

And of course women hate airsoft guns. Both are expensive, moody, expensive, take up tons of your time, expensive, and one is never enough.

But they've both got totally different rushes that I get high off, and I love both.

My ex-girlfriend plays airsoft. She has more gun than I do <_<

I never tell me parents exactly how much I spend on airsoft. If they knew that I've spent over $1k in 6 months, they would go insane. I've gone insane knowing how much I've spent.

:o:o:o

I explain this way:

Sure, it costs alot, but I'm going to take good care of my stuff, and I'll sell it later. So really the price is the difference between what I bought it at, and what I sold it for. A $500 gun, sold later for $350, after a full summer of play, thats a good value! $150 is like the price of two day-trips to a rollercoaster park.

You must understand that at the moment, all I have to my name is a broken HFC Bullpup 230. Very soon, however, that will not be the case.

"So how much is your next airsoft gun going to cost?"

"A lot."

"Your pistol costs $25, right?"

"Yeah."

"So how much is your next one going to cost?"

"*sighs* Well, it's going to be a shotgun. I shoots three BBs every shot. The gun itself costs one hundred fifty dolla-"

"Whoa! $150!?!?"

"Yes, but then I'm going to get a $100 custom stock, and I'm still going to need the rest of the loadout. $80 goggl-"

"You could get a real shotgun for that much!"

"Well, yes, but pidgeons don't shoot back. And people get mad when you go around shooting people with "real" shotguns. So then I still need $80 for the goggles, about $60 for the camo, $15 for the balaclava, $25 for the shotshell belt, $30 for spare shells, $35 for BBs. Got it all figured out."

"Why on earth would you want to spend that much money on a toy?"

"Would you rather I spend it on a "real" shotgun? I'm thinking about getting one."

"Well, yes, actually."

"But that's a toy, too."

"*silence*"

well my dad and his friends used to shoot bb guns at each other...

i started off with paintball 5-6 years ago and man is paint expensive

so ive moved on to airsoft and my dad is very interested in my guns, hes an ex marine

my grandmother who i live with doesnt understand me at all and gave up long ago, shes the only one i wont tell how much something costed

my gf enjoys all of my hobbies, so im set there

i usually don't reply...if somebody is not happy about me doing airsoft....he can shove his opinions in his..well..u know...and if he really pains me about it..i go to his house at night..do ninja moves..and ###### in his shoes :D:D

my parents don't really care..they prefer seeing me doing airsoft than buying myself some crappy tunned scooter and get killed while driving 110km/h on a tiny road :D

they even lend my the money sometime to buy myself gear...or my dad's says "ur grown up son....work..earn your money.." (i'm 18 and i've worked since i'm 5 years old to buy me things when i need and now airsoft......but don't get it wrong..i'm not a slave..work weekends and during holidays :D )

Why I would explain? Well if someone asks I'll answer.

Some of my most usual phrases is that in the end a lot of hobbies are expensive, and airsoft isn't a particularly expensive hobby. The thing about them being expensive toys is kind of true, but I can talk non-stop for a pretty long time about the specs and materials of certain parts, and how accurately all the pieces need to work together and stuff like that. AEGs are much more complex pieces of equipment than their realsteel counterparts.

Sometimes there are fellow airsofters who complain about prices, and you have to explain them a thing or two about business, demand and offer, manufacturing process and so on. I don't think I'd get into that argument anymore, but rather tell them to find another hobby instead of bitching. To new people who are interested I'm willing to share info about why they cost so much.

To the people who say that I could have bought a realsteel weapon for less, I say that I have real ones too. And I ask them if they are going to play tennis, are they going to buy a baseball bat instead of a tennis racket because it costs less? Remarks about buying real guns are the most stupid comments I keep hearing about airsoft.

-Sale

When my mom heard $200 for my first used CA gun, she was shocked. Even moreso when I told her how much my new M14 is costing.

My dad, on the other hand, likes airsoft and thinks that it's a great activity for me. He even shows up and talks with the guys and tries to convince my mom how cool it is.

Quick show of hands who's spent more money on airsoft than girlfriends?

*raises hand*

May explain why I'm single now :D

i'd rather have a girlfriend than airsoft :P

anyway, my mom is against airsoft, she always concerned about safety. my dad on the other hand, doesn't care and would go whatever my mom will go.

i'd rather have a girlfriend than airsoft  :P

anyway, my mom is against airsoft, she always concerned about  safety. my dad on the other hand, doesn't care and would go whatever my mom will go.

I take it you've never had a girlfriend? You should date some of my ex's... airsoft will be your best friend. :rolleyes:

Parents: "You need to stop spending money on airsoft and save your money."

Me: "Save my money for what?"

Parents: "You know...important stuff"

Me: "Airsoft is important. It's probably the most important thing in the world."

Parents: (sigh)

Im lucky that my wife understands, or just basiclly smiles, nods and carries on reading her medical journals. Fortunatly her an one of my team mates wife hang out as Airsoft widows......... As for the expense, she knows it will be spent on either guns, electronics, PC's or other toys that take my fancy, At least spending it she can be 100% sure that i can't afford a mistress! :D

To me, a hobby is a hobby. I've watched friends pour money into sound systems, lights, rims etc. for their cars, just to end up getting into an accident cause all the junk on there. I spend $500 average a year on airsoft. Most of that is gear and playing fees since I take really good care of my guns. When my parents ask me about it and why i spend money on it, I tell them that it's my way of having fun, and they should be happy that it gets me out of the house, gives me exercise, lets me meet new people, and best of all, shoot them. :)

Archived