PayPal account violation

gunlady

I got a message purportedly from payPal today saying that my account had been violtaed by somebody using xxxxx number.

As I have never used this account, it isn't me.

Has anybody had this happen before?

If so, what happened?

I have mailed PayPal from their site asking them to close my account completely stating I had never used it.

I have never been very happy about the way Paypal works, so I don't even think I have an account with them. The mail may have been a scam because it asked for some details from me that I would normally not give, and still haven't.

Any Ideas anybody?

I always pay be debit or credit card.

Gunlady

Did it have your name in the message? If it just had your username/account name, ignore it. If it had your actual name... that doesn't mean it's not a scam, but it's a little less likely.

On a connected note, I get several e-mails a month from Barclays, HSBC, NatWest, etc, all warning me my account may have been compromised and to forward details so they can update.

I have no bank account at the moment.

:zorro:

There is a scam going around at the moment using Paypal's name. I recently got an email purporting to be from Paypal but it turned out to be a phishing email. The official looking email was telling that there was a problem with my account and asked me to click the link which took me to an accurate looking Paypal log-in page.

Of course I didn't enter my details because I found it highly suspicious and on further examination the senders email was: servlce@paypal.com (note the l instead of an i). Also all links such as company info, contact etc etc, at the bottom of the log-in page, all bought me back to the log-in page.

I forwarded the whole lot to paypal.

They didn't bother thanking me for the info.

Did it have your name in the message? If it just had your username/account name, ignore it. If it had your actual name... that doesn't mean it's not a scam, but it's a little less likely.

On a connected note, I get several e-mails a month from Barclays, HSBC, NatWest, etc, all warning me my account may have been compromised and to forward details so they can update.

I have no bank account at the moment.

:zorro:

It didn't have my name on it, in fact it didn't have a username or member number, nothing, just a link to 'their' site and a warning not to give my username or password to anybody.

I am sure that when I went to open an account with PayPal I took one look at the sort of information they wanted I just didn't bother.

So it looks like a scam.

Gunlady

so many scams like this floating around.

If you think a mail from paypal/your bank might not be a scam then don't click on the link in the email, manually type into your internet browser the website address you've used in the past

Catman has a good point. Go to the official site you normally use and check on info there. I get a million of these paypal, bank notice, ebay, blah blah blah. I don't even have an account with half of them.

I can tell you that Paypal will contact you by phone or mail if something goes awry. I got a phone call on a couple of occasions (which I asked for a number to call back to verify legitimacy) when I ordered things from overseas. They were always happy to oblige with a phone number, ext, etc. They understand the situations and I honestly think they do try...regardless of your opinion of Paypal. I wish they'd stick their fees up their arses though...

Hannibal

My CC issuer HATES Paypal. I've had my CC put on hold for security reasons a few times now because of Paypal.

As for the Paypal e-mails, I pay no attention to them really. For all I care my Paypal account can rot in hell, just as long as I don't lose any money because of it.

Just be careful. I've had similar E-mails but regarding Ebay. The latest thing i keep getting is "You have the once in a lifetime chance to become a "Power Seller" just step this way..."

Confirmed with Ebay that it's a dud E-mail & so it joins the rest of the other spam...

In the bin

Catman has a good point.  Go to the official site you normally use and check on info there.  I get a million of these paypal, bank notice, ebay, blah blah blah.  I don't even have an account with half of them. 

I can tell you that Paypal will contact you by phone or mail if something goes awry.  I got a phone call on a couple of occasions (which I asked for a number to call back to verify legitimacy) when I ordered things from overseas.  They were always happy to oblige with a phone number, ext, etc.  They understand the situations and I honestly think they do try...regardless of your opinion of Paypal.  I wish they'd stick their fees up their arses though...

Hannibal

yes, I went to their site and mailed them from there, the best bet I think...

At least, I hope it was their site!!

Gunlady

Archived