ATTN:EVERYONE PLANNING TO BUY AIRSOFT FROM OVERSEA

warhead56k

Ah, I see. You disagree with the law, therefore it's alright to ignore it? :rolleyes:

Also, your rant on trademarks is total rubbish. A company has the right to say what it's trades appear on. If their trademarks are appearing on a poor quality item, it reflects badly on them.

:zorro:

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ah, I see. You disagree with the law, therefore it's alright to ignore it? :rolleyes:

Sprechst du Englisch?

That's what I said.

If you disagree with a law, it's alright to ignore it, so long as you feel it moral to do so.

Also, your rant on trademarks is total rubbish. A company has the right to say what it's trades appear on. If their trademarks are appearing on a poor quality item, it reflects badly on them.

But you ignore the point that I made about replica/toy AEGs that have been licensed and have had their trades removed, like the CA AUG. In this case, the trademark laws are more about protectionism (immoral) than about protecting a company's good name (moral... kinda). For instance, the only reason why the trades are not removed from a cheap-o Desert Eagle springer is because it's a State-side company that produces the springer. In the case of the high quality AEGs turned out by Classic Army, it's due to it being imported.

Sprechst du Englisch?

That's what I said.

If you disagree with a law, it's alright to ignore it, so long as you feel it moral to do so.

I don't speak German. Now, as subtlety clearly isn't your strong suit, the point I was making is you are WRONG. It is not alright to ignore a law you disagree with on moral grounds when it's about something as trivial as paint on a toy gun.

But you ignore the point that I made about replica/toy AEGs that have been licensed and have had their trades removed, like the CA AUG. In this case, the trademark laws are more about protectionism (immoral) than about protecting a company's good name (moral... kinda). For instance, the only reason why the trades are not removed from a cheap-o Desert Eagle springer is because it's a State-side company that produces the springer. In the case of the high quality AEGs turned out by Classic Army, it's due to it being imported.

Has it occurred to you to ask customs why the item was returned?

Ok so what about the UK? Why is a M4 with Colt trades legal in the UK? What about products with H&K? Are these not licensed in the UK?

I don't speak German. Now, as subtlety clearly isn't your strong suit, the point I was making is you are WRONG. It is not alright to ignore a law you disagree with on moral grounds when it's about something as trivial as paint on a toy gun.

Exactly. It's trivial, at least to most. So why does Customs even care?

Obviously, it's not trivial to all. Particularly those who spent their hard-earned money on these replica/toys. Who have had to work for months in order to be able to afford one. Only to have Customs seize and/or destroy the result of their hard-earned money over something as trivial as an orange tip that's not quite permanent enough or the removal of trades that are not quite removed well enough.

Has it occurred to you to ask customs why the item was returned?

From what I've been hearing, "To teach Redwolf a lesson." That's a vendetta. They don't care whether they're enforcing the law properly or not. They're stopping all shipments of RWA guns, regardless of compliance. In which case, it is Customs that is ignoring the law.

Sure folks can take a moral stand on any law they choose If they feel its unfair unjust yes by all means refuse to accept it or abide by it..

provided your wiling to accept the consequences of ingoring it, and take those consequencies on the chin

like confiscation

like trades being ground off by customs with a hammer drill

like goods being returned to sender

breaking laws without being willing to accept the consequences doesnt strike me as taking a particularly moral stand - thats just common or garden breaking the law and being ###### at getting caught.

trademark licencing can be restricted to specific geographical areas so what constitutes a legit trademark for europe might have no corresponding licence for use in USA or vice versa. thats the trademark holders prerogative

manufactueres can apply more than lost sales to their objection to allowing their trademarks to be used - they may feel the objects create the wrong impression of their product/cheapens its brand image (either internationally or in a particular market) Just becasue a manufac is willing to licence its trades in one geographical area doesnt mean it would be willing to do the same in other areas.

There are many countries where colt S&W etc would have no real steel reputation they feel a need to maintain (due to restrictions placed on real steel in those countries)

as a result they may take a more relaxed view of what their trades are allowed to be applied to in those areas yet still not be keen on allowing those items into countries where their real steel reps DO count for something

A trademark owner may have even sold on its licencing rights to more than one third party each with rights to it in a particular geographical area.

An airsoft manufac could easily get rights for one area (ie europe) but find rights in another area (ie the US) belong to a different firm who wont play ball.

what I've been hearing, "To teach Redwolf a lesson." That's a vendetta. They don't care whether they're enforcing the law properly or not. They're stopping all shipments of RWA guns, regardless of compliance. In which case, it is Customs that is ignoring the law.y on these replica/toys.

its called getting tough with a persistent offender.

Someone constantly sends 300 boxes of oranges and 30 full of cuban cigars in expectation that weigth of numbers will see most of the cigars go thru, then do you seriously expect customs to open every package from that company from now till doomsday to root out the illegal ones?

Customs return the first few they find with a warning to the company concerned. Company chooses to ignore the warnings and stick to the rules their has to come a time when that company finds themselvers persona non grata with everything they send returned untill such time as they provide assurances that they'll stick to the rules in future

by sounds of it that time has come

All redwolf has to do is stick to the rules Customs can then inspect the next batch of redwolf parcels to confirm that and then let their stuff in from then onwards (with a warning that RW parcels will be subject to higher levels of scrutiny than normal due to their past track record and that if they return to their old ways customs will revert to mass returns)

Ah, that impeccable source, "from what I've heard". Nothing quite beats hearing direct from the mouth of the horse of your friend's brother's window cleaner's ex-room mate, does it?

Well I am the horses mouth... I am the one that basically started all this stuff and yes I have spent hours on the phone with Customs over the last couple days, and they flat out said they were stopping all RW guns shipped through Oakland via FEDEX. It doesn't matter if the gun is in good order (law wise) or not. The want to teach RW a lesson. Now how exactly is that the law.. That is spiteful

Also US Customs doesn't care if the trades are legally licensed or not. They are against all trades for two basic reasons.

1.) They don't want to have to differentiate between what is legally licensed and what is not. So just call them all illegal

2.) Realism factor. Apparently the trades make them look so real that is is a safety issue.. Not that they don't look real enough already.

All this info is straight from US Customs on May 24th 2006

Mike

Sure folks can take a moral stand on any law they choose If they feel its unfair unjust yes by all means refuse to accept it or abide by it..

provided your wiling to accept the consequences of ingoring it, and take those consequencies on the chin

like confiscation

like trades being ground off by customs with a hammer drill

like goods being returned to sender

breaking laws without being willing to accept the consequences doesnt strike me as taking a particularly moral stand - thats just common or garden breaking the law and being ###### at getting caught.

trademark licencing can be restricted to specific geographical areas so what constitutes a legit trademark for europe might have no corresponding licence for use in USA or vice versa. thats the trademark holders prerogative

manufactueres can apply more than lost sales to their objection to allowing their trademarks to be used - they may feel the objects create the wrong impression of their product/cheapens its brand image (either internationally or in a particular market) Just becasue a manufac is willing to licence its trades in one geographical area doesnt mean it would be willing to do the same in other areas.

There are many countries where colt S&W etc would have no real steel reputation they feel a need to maintain (due to restrictions placed on real steel in those countries) 

as a result they may take a more relaxed view of what their trades are allowed to be applied to in those areas yet still not be keen on allowing those items into countries where their real steel reps DO count for something

A trademark owner may have even sold on its licencing rights to more than one third party each with rights to it in a particular geographical area.

An airsoft manufac could easily get rights for one area (ie europe) but find rights in another area (ie the US) belong to a different firm who wont play ball.

Someone constantly sends 300 boxes of oranges and 30 full of cuban cigars in expectation that weigth of numbers will see most of the cigars go thru, then do you seriously expect customs to open every package from that company from now till doomsday to root out the illegal ones?

Customs return the first few they find with a warning to the company concerned. Company chooses to ignore the warnings and stick to the rules their has to come a time when that company finds themselvers persona non grata with everything they send returned untill such time as they provide assurances that they'll stick to the rules in future

by sounds of it that time has come

All redwolf has to do is stick to the rules Customs can then inspect the next batch of redwolf parcels to confirm that and then let their stuff in from then onwards (with a warning that RW parcels will be subject to higher levels of scrutiny than normal due to their past track record and that if they return to their old ways customs will revert to mass returns)

Your still not understanding though there are airsoft manufactures with trademarks that are legally licensed for American use (Classic Army M16's and M4's) why should these be seized? There is nothing illegal about them. The orange tips will "never" be permanent because someone can always spray paint over it so customs saying it must be permanent it's not physically possible. For someone who knows the rules, if England bans airsoft how many people do you think would attempt to illegally buy airsoft guns? Right now people in the UK are defending themselves so that airsoft won't be banned but if it is banned will people from the UK be saying the same thing? This isn't even about illegal airsoft guns. It's the fact customs is seizing completely legal airsoft guns.

Your still not understanding though there are airsoft manufactures with trademarks that are legally licensed for American use (Classic Army M16's and M4's) why should these be seized? There is nothing illegal about them. The orange tips will "never" be permanent because someone can always spray paint over it so customs saying it must be permanent it's not physically possible. For someone who knows the rules, if England bans airsoft how many people do you think would attempt to illegally buy airsoft guns? Right now people in the UK are defending themselves so that airsoft won't be banned but if it is banned will people from the UK be saying the same thing? This isn't even about illegal airsoft guns. It's the fact customs is seizing completely legal airsoft guns.

I don't even know what side you are on anymore...

Well I personally believe that eating babies shouldn't be illegal, I mean, c'mon, they're just so delicious! And I don't care about babies; I don't personally find it immoral to eat them. So screw the law!

Thanks to you, Jagblagmagstag, I will now gourge myself.

Yum yum, anyone want some?

Seriously, man, grow a brain. You could use it for things like thinking and common sense. :)

And I don't know why customs would seize something that is legal, but it sounds like something you could possibly fight against and win.

Basically, Customs seizes weapons without orange tips and with illegal trademarks... and some idiot people think thats OH SO AWFUL!!

Now, if customs seize guns with orange tips and with legal trademarks, that's a completely different issue.

I believe that this whole Redwolf thing is in response to the massive amount of illegal guns being shipped to the US. My friend's TM Desert Eagle was not seized, yet it could have been because the trades were not removed.

1 It doesnt matter if the trades on some are legal - blame redwolf for persistently sending over guns where the trades arent licenced for customs being left in that situation where they are now mailing them all back

2 even if the trades are legal in HK/Europe or wherever, theres no guarantee that the US licencee of the trades has been paid a fart if the guns werent originally produced for the american market

Gun ends up in america sale takes place in HK, then licencee paid is the one who holds that lcence for the asian market.

3 anyone stupid enough to illegally import an airsoft gun into the UK AFER the VCR bill gets passed (if theres no exemption for airsoft) does so at their own risk.

They beleive that they're morally entitled to do so? fair enough thats their decision ..but they can expect little sympathy if they're going to *badgeress* about the consequences they find from taking that moral stance. Cant do the time, dont do the crime.

Why would someone oppose the VCR bill at all if they werent going to abide by it if/when its passed. Its precisely because us UK folks will abide by that law if its passed that we object to it so much. Those planning to break it couldnt give a *beep* if its passed or not.

furthermore dont try and equate your situation with orange tips and trademarks to the situation we face over here. Id trade orange tips and lack of trades against an outright ban any day of the week never mind trading your 'item returned to sender' hassle with our 6 or 12 months mandatory jail sentence for importing an illegal RIF.

4 in the US you have tradedress (think 'look and feel') as well as trademark laws if US customs were being genuinely vindictive then you wouldnt see another airsoft glock in the USA period

5 permanent blaze orange means permanently affixed to the weapon and in a permanent paint ie one that won rub off with a quick wipe from a paper hanky or 5 mins scratching at ti with a finger nail.

Overpainting is something that cant be avoided thats a given Strictly speaking flash hider removal isnt - if conforming with letter of the law the flashider should be permanetly affixed to the barrel - the us assault weapons regs made similar provisions for permanent muzzle breaks a bit of superglue ddidnt cut it there either.

But the question is would US customs give a rats *albatross* about the ability to take a monkey wrench to the flashider if that was the only issue?

Most probably not but Redwolf have forced them into playing hardball by skimping on other areas too.

You just dont do that when the other guy has the law on his side - all you acheive is noising him up and having him dust down the full weight of the powers he's entitled to use.

As Ive said already (and you dont seem to get) if redwolf had no track record of violating the laws in place this would be unfair and discriminatory (you could even call it a vendetta) ...but seeing as they're the ones that have sat in HK thinking they can do as they please and pay lips service to US law what exactly do they expect?

Anyone who finds a gun with legal licenced trades and permanently fixed blaze orange tip caugth up in the current US customs crackdown and returned to redwolf has no one to blame for that than redwolf (who've ###### US customs off so much with persistent offending on their other packages that US customs arent going to waste their time with ANY of Redwolfs packages anymore untill they mend their ways on ALL their packages)

If i was being totally picky id also have to ask why this thread is titled 'attention everyone planning to buy airsoft overseas' when it doesnt apply to ###### everyone at all

Particularly as this is a UK board not a US one, that implied assumption that 'everyone' is subject to US importation laws is a little insulting. There are other countries than the US last i looked..

Well I personally believe that eating babies shouldn't be illegal, I mean, c'mon, they're just so delicious! And I don't care about babies; I don't personally find it immoral to eat them. So screw the law!

Thanks to you, Jagblagmagstag, I will now gourge myself.

Yum yum, anyone want some?

Seriously, man, grow a brain. You could use it for things like thinking and common sense. :)

And I don't know why customs would seize something that is legal, but it sounds like something you could possibly fight against and win.

Basically, Customs seizes weapons without orange tips and with illegal trademarks... and some idiot people think thats OH SO AWFUL!!

Now, if customs seize guns with orange tips and with legal trademarks, that's a completely different issue.

I believe that this whole Redwolf thing is in response to the massive amount of illegal guns being shipped to the US. My friend's TM Desert Eagle was not seized, yet it could have been because the trades were not removed.

Perhaps there weren't any filed complaints from Magnum Research? American bred companys like COLT of course customs is going to crack down on that more, COLT's an american made company and since none of their items have been sold to the public in a while it's probably going to make the customs officials question the legality of the trademarks whereas something like H&K in Germany this would be a big no no. In the US H&K either doesn't care enough to file a complaint or something along those lines. It's like if I owned "Johnny and Susie firearms" and had them on all my guns. Would customs know if the replica had permission to use that name on there or not? Probably wouldn't think about it unless there were specific complaints regarding it.

1 It doesnt matter if the trades on some are legal - blame redwolf for persistently sending over guns where the trades arent licenced for customs being left in that situation where they are now mailing them all back

2 even if the trades are legal in HK/Europe or wherever, theres no guarantee that the US licencee of the trades has been paid a fart if the guns werent originally produced for the american market

Gun ends up in america sale takes place in HK, then licencee paid is the one who holds that lcence for the asian market.

3 anyone stupid enough to illegally import an airsoft gun into the UK AFER the VCR bill gets passed (if theres no exemption for airsoft) does so at their own risk.

They beleive that they're morally entitled to do so? fair enough thats their decision ..but they can expect little sympathy if they're going to *badgeress* about the consequences they find from taking that moral stance. Cant do the time, dont do the crime.

Why would someone oppose the VCR bill at all if they werent going to abide by it if/when its passed. Its precisely because us UK folks will abide by that law if its passed that we object to it so much. Those planning to break it couldnt give a *beep* if its passed or not.

furthermore dont try and equate your situation with orange tips and trademarks to the situation we face over here. Id trade orange tips and lack of trades against an outright ban any day of the week never mind trading your 'item returned to sender' hassle with our 6 or 12 months mandatory jail sentence for importing an illegal RIF.

4 in the US you have tradedress (think 'look and feel') as well as trademark laws if US customs were being genuinely vindictive then you wouldnt see another airsoft glock in the USA period

5 permanent blaze orange  means permanently affixed to the weapon and in a permanent paint ie one that won rub off with a quick wipe from a paper hanky or 5 mins scratching at ti with a finger nail.

Overpainting is something that cant be avoided thats a given Strictly speaking flash hider removal isnt - if conforming with letter of the law the flashider should be permanetly affixed to the barrel - the us assault  weapons regs made similar provisions for permanent muzzle breaks a bit of superglue ddidnt cut it there either.

But the question is would US customs give a rats *albatross* about the ability to take a monkey wrench to the flashider if that was the only issue?

Most probably not but Redwolf have forced them into playing hardball by skimping on other areas too.

You just dont do that when the other guy has the law on his side - all you acheive is noising him up and having him dust down the full weight of the powers he's entitled to use.

As Ive said already (and you dont seem to get) if redwolf had no track record of violating the laws in place this would be unfair and discriminatory (you could even call it a vendetta) ...but seeing as they're the ones that have sat in HK thinking they can do as they please and pay lips service to US law what exactly do they expect?

Anyone who finds a gun with legal licenced trades and permanently fixed blaze orange tip caugth up in the current US customs crackdown and returned to redwolf has no one to blame for that than redwolf (who've ###### US customs off so much with persistent offending on their other packages that US customs arent going to waste their time with ANY of Redwolfs packages anymore untill they mend their ways on ALL their packages)

If i was being totally picky id also have to ask why this thread is titled 'attention everyone planning to buy airsoft overseas' when it doesnt apply to ###### everyone at all

Particularly as this is a UK board not a US one, that implied assumption that 'everyone' is subject to US importation laws is a little insulting. There are other countries than the US last i looked..

Unfortunately your right. I'm the type of guy that buys the illegal fireworks in Alabama because their cool. We take chances but understand that customers shouldn't be suffering because of redwolf or customs. They are customers and it's as simple as that. We're talking permanent tips you've heard the methods they are using, of course a tip isn't going to be permanent when a hacksaw is used. Heck when I got my M4 the tip was impossible to get off even twisting, I had to break it off and clean the jb wield or whatever they used off the threads. I think that's pretty damn good for permanent. As for trademarks why is putty not considered valid? It's covering up the trademarks and it's definitely not something easy to get off, whats the difference with a gun without trades and myself going to a laser engraving shop and getting a GLOCK trademark put on the gun? How is this anymore legal seriously? I understand it could be due to them selling the item "while" the Glock trademark is intact but would it be anymore illegal for me to sell a gun on ebay after I had laser engraving done to my gun?

what you do to your own personal property is one thing (both of us could laser etch glock logos on our washing machines and reasonably expect no one to know far less object) publicising selling or buying them in that condition is another.

In that respect yes it would be a lot better if manufacs made completely trades free versions (as opposed to fake trades) which folks could get marked themselves at their leisure without likelihood of this sort of comeback.

Dont get me wrong - Im sorry for anyone who did ask redwolf to comply with US law and have found themselves stuck piggy in the middle. At least US customs are being honest and admitting everything from redwolf is subject to return to sender while the issue is ongoing.

Cancel the redwolf order and get the cash refunded (if they wont refund then paypal dispute it on basis of non-delivery or credit card chargeback it for same reasons) and order from somewhere else that hasnt ###### off US customs to the point where their playing hardball.

Given US customs are targetting stuff from redwolf and not everything gun shaped from hong kong then if all the trades are removed to US spec and tip fixed in place it would probably be possible to even have redwolf send it despite current dispute - all they'd need to do is list the name and address of an employee as the sender rather than their company name and addy - and make sure there was nothing redwolf related within the package to give the game away (invoice etc)

Anyone who ignored the US requirements and asked redwolf to keep trades intact temporarily covered etc has only themselves to blame - its not as though redwolf didnt make it clear that that sort of thing could result in confiscation. If they worked hard for months and couldnt afford to take the hit of a confiscation then hping for the best and playing fast and loose with meeting US import requirements doesn't strike me as clever. If someone has the spare cash to risk it fair enough but it doesnt strike me as being worth the gamble otherwise, current dispute or not.

what you do to your own personal property is one thing (both of us could laser etch glock logos on our washing machines and reasonably expect no one to know far less object) publicising selling or buying them in that condition is another.

In that respect yes it would be a lot better if manufacs made completely trades free versions (as opposed to fake trades) which folks could get marked themselves at their leisure without likelihood of this sort of comeback.

Dont get me wrong - Im sorry for anyone who did ask redwolf to comply with US law and have found themselves stuck piggy in the middle. At least US customs are being honest and admitting everything from redwolf is subject to return to sender while the issue is ongoing.

Cancel the redwolf order and get the cash refunded (if they wont refund then paypal dispute it on basis of non-delivery or credit card chargeback it for same reasons) and order from somewhere else that hasnt ###### off US customs to the point where their playing hardball.

Given US customs are targetting stuff from redwolf and not everything gun shaped from hong kong then if all the trades are removed to US spec and tip fixed in place it would probably be possible to even have redwolf send it despite current dispute - all they'd need to do is list the name and address of an employee as the sender rather than their company name and addy - and make sure there was nothing redwolf related within the package to give the game away (invoice etc)

Anyone who ignored the US requirements and asked redwolf to keep trades intact temporarily covered etc has only themselves to blame - its not as though redwolf didnt make it clear that that sort of thing could result in confiscation. If they worked hard for months and couldnt afford to take the hit of a confiscation then hping for the best and playing fast and loose with meeting US import requirements doesn't strike me as clever. If someone has the spare cash to risk it fair enough but it doesnt strike me as being worth the gamble otherwise, current dispute or not.

Right however redwolf has stated they automatically do 100 percent requirements for the countrys customs. Their 100 percent complaint rules are orange tip and trademark removal (their trademark removal is a sticker or putty). They don't do dremel however you CAN request the trades not be covered and not to have an orange tip. Unless the users requested specifically not to have trades covered and the orange tip thats a different story and redwolf won't cover it. This is a redwolf policy regarding the trademarks and they have stated they have no intention of actually physically destroying the trademarks unless it comes down to a last resort. Customs isn't going to be monitoring guns coming with trademarks 24/7 this is one of those hot months and I think everyones aware of that. It's no different than drug raids and then it settles down after time. This has been happening randomly over the years so it's nothing new.

Most. Pointless. Thread. Ever.

If the seller complies with the law, fully and entirely, then there's damn near zero chance of a seizure.

Clearly, Redwolf isn't complying well enough.

Here's an idea: buy from a US shop and don't worry about this. I do sometimes buy from HK shops, but never for a complete gun. Buy those in country. And don't give me some nonsense about the prices, you shop around (and account for shipping costs) and you'll get the same or better price on nearly every complete gun made.

Upgrade or replacement parts, that's a different story. But since those don't ever get hassled...

Most. Pointless. Thread. Ever.

If the seller complies with the law, fully and entirely, then there's damn near zero chance of a seizure.

Clearly, Redwolf isn't complying well enough.

Here's an idea: buy from a US shop and don't worry about this. I do sometimes buy from HK shops, but never for a complete gun. Buy those in country. And don't give me some nonsense about the prices, you shop around (and account for shipping costs) and you'll get the same or better price on nearly every complete gun made.

Upgrade or replacement parts, that's a different story. But since those don't ever get hassled...

So what about body kits with trademarks? Why is that anymore legal?

I guess that sending someone who has repeatedly commited parking violations to jail is getting tough on a persistant offender, too. Even if they didn't actually do anything the whole time.

Well, I live in a country where our legal system is based on the principle that it's better to let ten guilty men go free than to jail one innocent man. In this case, it's better to allow ten illegal packages go than destroy one legal one.

The other problem with your argument is this: allegedly, US Customs is inspecting all packages sent by Redwolf, and destroying all guns sent by Redwolf even if they meet the completely arbitrary line in the sand Customs has set for them. It's not a matter of random sampling turning up too high a ratio of 'illegal' replica/toys, it's a matter of Customs 'teaching a lesson'. Performing a vendetta.

You're assuming that Customs got off their collective a__ long enough to warn RWA. Odds are that they didn't.

THEY HAVE. Which bloody part of that don't you f___ing understand? IESU CHRISTE. This is a vendetta, nothing more, nothing less. No law has been broken, except as far as customs is concerned. Or maybe you'd enjoy spending a night (or several) in jail because a cop decided that a flippant attitude towards him should be rewarded with charges of assaulting a police officer and resisting arrest?

Archived