Gods New Army

Hoppum

but thats the nature of religion- you yourself, as a unitarianuniversalist, have just stated how nice it would be if everyone held views which were, esentially...

...your religion's.

Religious belief by definition divides people into an us-and-them mentality- even the "can't everyone just get along?" crew suffer from it- they place what they call "extremists" in the "them" camp. sure, they perhaps aren't going to FORCE anyone to take their point of view, but the fact is, as you'ves said yourself, the tendency is there to wish everyone believed what they believe.

Personally, I consider it up to the voters- if they want a nation to be governed along Christian lines, then so be it. Thats what a democracy is all about. The system allowed SKippy to win twice. Obviously there must be a sizeable proportion, possibly even a majority (not that the system requires a true majority- electoral colleges? call that democratic? please...) of the American voters who don't mind too much what he's doing.

Its just the usual woolley-headed "things will be soo much better when we've banned this, or allowed that, or sent these people back from whence they came, or had this bunch sent for correction at the looney bin..."

People feel threatened, life seems too complicated, other people are doing stuff that the first bunch of people have been raised to believe is immoral, a bunch of foreigners with filthy religious views take a dislike to you, for NO apparent reason, obviously...

and its jackboots at dawn.

And the truly great thing? people will VOTE for it.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm a very devout Christian and as a religeon, we do long for the day when we finally go to Heaven and be with God but also, as a government, it should not impose Christianity on others.  To be a true Christian, you have to do it on your own without others pushing you.  I'm not here to tell people to convert to my religeon even though I'd love to see that.  Also, with the same sex marriage, I think it should be illegal because marriage deals with the Bible and if you have a marriage where the Bible is incorporated, then that is wrong because it blatantly goes against it.  Also, a lot of other things that are sinful are laws because, well, "thou shall not kill."  But I respect that not everyone is giong to be a Christian and have the same ideas as me and I respect what you think and will not bash it, please do the same for me.

I'm sorry if I seemed like I was bashing christians, I have nothing wrong with them as a group whatsoever, in fact, I used to BE christian. A majority of christians are like you and believe it wrong to force their religion on others. I respect that. The only thing you said that i have a problem with is the gay marriage conflict. You say it should be illegal because it conflicts with the bible, but according to the affore mentioned seperation of church and state, constitutionally, that is not grounds for making it illegal. Plenty of marriages take place between people with religions other than christianity, they don't use th bible. Are we to outlaw that aswell?

All I am saying is that religion is a great thing, up to a point, but past that, it often leads to violence and extortion. The U.S. was originally (back in the colonial days, before the revolution) founded by people seeking religious equality. That is slowly being done away with.

I know what you're saying Aiden along the lines of our founders with the religioius freedom, and that's what i agree with. With the marriage thing, I see what you're saying and also agree. I know it shouldn't happen, but because of their own free will and seperation of church from state, they should be allowed to marry, just don't do it with Christianity is all I'm saying. No such thing as a gay Christian when you break it down.

It's alright man about the bashing, I really wasn't targeting it at you. I just put that because I have put forth my opinion about my religeon and then have just been bashed at without any good argument. But not you, you actually sound educted and mature versus others who resort to name calling and whatnot.

there is such a thing as a gay Christian- thats like saying there's no such thing as a christian who supports the death penalty, and they'd be PLENTY of people who'd protest THAT.

fact is, religions are by nature so open to interpretation that most people who follow a faith take what they want and leave the rest out- it'd be impossible to follow every teaching in the bible, for eg, because most of them contradict or appear to vary from other ones.

If "loving thy neighbour" is a rule, and "doing unto others" is a rule, then how can "thou shalt not lie down with a manne if thou art a manne"- the first two teach tolerance, and the third teaches intolerance.

makes no sense to me, I'm happy being an agnostic. No-one offends me apart from bigots, and nothing gets up my nose apart from people trying to be unfair to others.

oh, and animal cruelty. Don't even get me started.

Christian meaning literally "Christ lik" is not being gay. Yes, a gay person would be welcome in the church, but still openly sinning, as we all do. But, like you said, you can never know everything in the Bible, but the contradiction part is not true. It does not. Your example is simple meaning love the gay person whether it's right or wrong. Loving your enemy is the same thing. You should help them and love them, but judging and hating them is also sinful.

I am not ignorante, I clearly stated a way of looking at the word in a way that shows that being gay is not Christian but if you use the word "Christian" as being a follower of Christianity, than they can be. I'm sorry you believe the Bible of being fictitious, but the only thing I can do is pray for you, but please, just respect my religeon and I will respect your beliefs.

what got me was their justification for a need to get involved in politics - 'anti-christianity'

sorry but what they feel is anti-christian is just people sick and tired of being told what to think (by folks who so obviously lack the basic social skills to differentiate between striking up a normal conversation with a stranger and the opportunity to launch into a holier than thou sales pitch).

I can respect those that have a religious beleif of whatever faith, that they use to guide their personal actions etc (I migth not understand it but whatever floats their boat)

Ive just no time for the sort like those on this program that feel the only way their personal religous belief has any value, is if its to be imposed on the rest of us - and that dont matter if they're christian hindu muslim or satanist.

I'm not entirely sure what to believe. I mean, is our logic of questioning a deity just a test by said deity to prove our faith and piety, or just how we evolved naturally to question our environment?

*head explodes*

Back on topic. I feel that religion should not have a place in politics, as it is misrepresenting the minority that does not follow suit of the current administration's beliefs. This misrepresentation will be reflected in policy, like the whole gay marriage thing. Sure, I don't think it's normal, but I'm not going to institute religious policy to prevent that, because it is a contradiction of our right to life, liberty, and pursuit of happiness. Just my opinion on that one.

I generally agre with the Idealogy that Religion and Poltics shouldn't Mix. Granted I do beleve in my religion but doesn't mean I have the God given right to persicute other for not beleving what I like. The other reason why I don't like religon in politics is that well some times I feel embarresed that if there is a certain christian denomination that is perceved by making a tit out of themselvs I know that people will presume I will be the same as them as after all it is rather easy to tarnish people with the same brush.

So, in about another ten years, you'll be first up against the wall?

:zorro:

who, me? To get shot?

I don't care if I die. This human body I have, won't last. My possessions won't last. Your body won't last. Your possessions won't last. Everything is impermanent.

To think hard about it, you, and I, and many others henceforth, are thousands upon thousands of years old...and perhaps much more.

Archived