Gods New Army

Hoppum

thats always puzzled me too- why should an omnipotent being/s go to all the trouble of creating the heavens, the universe and all us lot, just so we worship him? its not like he NEEDS us to, unless he suffers from an inferiority complex, of course...

Whats he got in mind, eh? that's what I'd like to know. All sounds VERY fishy...

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Agnostics are 'professional doubters'. They believe that there isn't enough evidence for the existence of a supreme deity or deities, nor is there sufficeient evidence that can rule their existence out.

They believe that they don't know what to believe, in short.

EDIT: Also, technically, even men like Osama bin Laden and Adolf Hitler go to heaven. Why? Because if there is an omnipotent, omniamorus supreme deity, then He must (as I said) also be all-understanding and all-forgiving. Because God understands what these men thought and believed and why they believed it, He must understand the source of their 'evil'. Because this deity loves even men such as Adolf Hitler and Osama bin Laden, He must also forgive them their sins, especially as He understands that they believe(d) that they were doing good.

Those are my beliefs concerning sin and forgiveness. But Mytheologitarianism (my own term for my religion) doesn't place any stress on the existence of a supreme deity. It's more like a Judeo-Christian take on Buddhism and animism. Complete with karma, animals and plants and rocks and coffee cups with souls and so forth.

exactly- not enough evidence exists to co-oberate either the existence or non-existence of deities, and therefore the only possible conclusion to reach is "hmmm".

This is agnosticism. I class myself somewhat apart from the traditional agnostic (I know, SPLITTER!)- I consider myself to be a cheerfully apathetic agnostic- I don't know what going on in the universe, I don't think I'll ever know, I'm perfectly happy about that so I'm not going to break a sweat finding out.

Well that's a pretty good thing really and I'll admit I am angonist to a certain point. Granted trying to be a man of science and reliogon is a giant Oxymoron. But then again so is life ; ) I do tend do beleve in god granted it maybe a easier way out but jesus after being on this world being for thousands of years and still not find out it does make you think a little.

[edit]need to expand myself to make myself look smart : 3

thats always puzzled me too- why should an omnipotent being/s go to all the trouble of creating the heavens, the universe and all us lot, just so we worship him? its not like he NEEDS us to, unless he suffers from an inferiority complex, of course...

Whats he got in mind, eh? that's what I'd like to know. All sounds VERY fishy...

Who knows if the creation of the universe is anything to do with us? Maybe it's all a big mistake and we're a nasty side effect that's got picked up along the way, like gum on your shoe.

Except it's a really big shoe and we're particularly malignant gum.

Not sure if this is my generation, but all the people I know who are my age and Catholic are ridiculously agnostic. We've rejected Catholicism, mainly because of the ritualistic structure and possible inaccuracies in the Bible. Nearly everyone I speak to however believes there is 'something', but don't try to define it.

Be a good person. I personally think, with the current information I possess, spending time worshipping something and dedicating your life to something like religion is foolish. Dedicate it to helping people with diseases. Make money and give it to charity.

Don't be a hypocritical 'believer' for the sake of tradition.

agnostics are just wannabe aethiests with too much time on their hands who wont come off the fence :)

for me? there is no god/supreme being/mother nature/afterlife or giant spaghetti monster Take a few phrases like do unto others as you'ld want done to yourself and try to stick by that Anything more than that? lifes too short and Id rather get on with living it.

nope, agnostics are the most rational of people, refusing to adhere to any belief system that makes claims based on very little hard-and-fast evidence- atheists do this as much as religious-types-

Not saying agnostics are RIGHT, but thats rather the whole point...

EDIT: Also, technically, even men like Osama bin Laden and Adolf Hitler go to heaven. Why? Because if there is an omnipotent, omniamorus supreme deity, then He must (as I said) also be all-understanding and all-forgiving. Because God understands what these men thought and believed and why they believed it, He must understand the source of their 'evil'. Because this deity loves even men such as Adolf Hitler and Osama bin Laden, He must also forgive them their sins, especially as He understands that they believe(d) that they were doing good.

Well no. They actualy have to regret what they have done. God being the all knowing being will know if they are just saying that to get forgiveness. I mean do you think Hitler actualy regrets the holocaust. Or do you think Osama Bin Laden crys himself to sleep because of what he did to the people in the twin towers and the pentagon? It seems unlikely to me.

right, but the point of the whole "have you lead a good life?" thing is that both Hitler, howling mad Oz, Skippy the Bush Kangaroo Jr and everyone else who's essentially a zealot will ALL believe, unflinchingly, that they have.

again, its the problem that arises when religions are ambiguous about what constitutes "good", and if only the people who truly believe they are good get to go to heaven, then its got to be full of the biggest amount of nutters imaginable.

the whole "forgiveness" thing, or the confessional thing, only works so long as people are possibly aware that they've done anything that requires forgiveness or repentence.

Archived